Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance - Wash, Wax, Detailing, Exterior Repairs

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 09-18-2019, 11:54 AM   #1
BluinSC

Drives: BVM 1SS
So as someone with no garage or access to water...

Got a yellow SS. The apartment I'm living at now has no exterior car wash area. (Bummer). So I'm struggling come up with a method for detailing. So far I'm thinking of the following:

1. CG Waterless Wash
2. CG Synthetic Detailer + clay bar.
3. CG Butter wax
4. Turtle Wax Seal and shine.

Is this a good "go to walmart and buy " setup? Anything I could change? Trying to avoid buying off amazon for this first go round and wait for some Christmas deals.

Thanks for the help.
BluinSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 11:56 AM   #2
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
A rinseless wash is far safer than a waterless wash. I use it all the time, as I too am in a condo with no running water at my car location. Read the link below in my signature about Rinseless....good disc also here:

https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showt...ight=Rinseless

Last edited by Glen e; 09-18-2019 at 03:17 PM.
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 01:51 PM   #3
cmitchell17

Drives: 17 2SS, 8L90, Cam, Heads, E85
Quote:
Originally Posted by BluinSC View Post
Got a yellow SS. The apartment I'm living at now has no exterior car wash area. (Bummer). So I'm struggling come up with a method for detailing. So far I'm thinking of the following:

1. CG Waterless Wash
2. CG Synthetic Detailer + clay bar.
3. CG Butter wax
4. Turtle Wax Seal and shine.

Is this a good "go to walmart and buy " setup? Anything I could change? Trying to avoid buying off amazon for this first go round and wait for some Christmas deals.

Thanks for the help.
I have been in the situation as well, but I am now about to get a house. Unfortunately for me the damage has already been done from brush car washes. Don't do like I did.
cmitchell17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 03:04 PM   #4
cbr1100xx
Account Suspended

Drives: '14 Jetta 1.8, '19 1SS
I use Optimum rinseless and works great.
cbr1100xx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 08:22 PM   #5
Brianw36
SNSTRSS

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS A8
I use AMMO Frothe Hoseless Wash.
Old 09-18-2019, 08:46 PM   #6
KirkH

Drives: 2016 2SS M6 Mosaic Blk Met-SOLD
I think Wolfgang Uber Rinseless is the best but Optimum by the gallon is more economical.
KirkH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 09:00 AM   #7
Clam

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1SS
When I lived in an apartment, I used Chemical Guys Waterless EcoSmart-RU Car Wash and a ton of microfiber towels to clean the car.
Clam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 09:33 AM   #8
SSport16

Drives: 2016 Garnet Red Camaro 2SS
Ech20 rinseless wash is great...buy some high quality high GSM MF towels along with some high quality drying towels and a 5 gallon bucket. I have access to water at my house outside, but haven't used a hose in a very long time.

1100 Status - 7/24/15 (Ordered)
3800 Status - 10/13/15 (Built)
6000 Status - 12/22/15 (Delivered)
SSport16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 11:30 AM   #9
cbr1100xx
Account Suspended

Drives: '14 Jetta 1.8, '19 1SS
I only use maybe 1.5 gallons of water per 0.75oz of Optimum with about 5 microfiber cloths in the bucket. I have 2 larger microfiber drying cloths. I wipe down 2 sides of the car and then dry and then repeat for the other 2 sides. Then I do the roof/dry. Then I do 2 rims and dry and then repeat for the other 2.

I find this is the best way otherwise the car dries too quickly.
For the windows I just use a damped Ultimate Cloth I got from Southern Car parts. It works awesome and doesn't streak.

My whole process takes about 20 minutes. Then I just put all towels in the washing machine and dry on low and save them for the next time. I do this all in my parking garage space.
cbr1100xx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 12:02 PM   #10
Glen e

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbr1100xx View Post
I only use maybe 1.5 gallons of water per 0.75oz of Optimum with about 5 microfiber cloths in the bucket. I have 2 larger microfiber drying cloths. I wipe down 2 sides of the car and then dry and then repeat for the other 2 sides. Then I do the roof/dry. Then I do 2 rims and dry and then repeat for the other 2.

I find this is the best way otherwise the car dries too quickly.
For the windows I just use a damped Ultimate Cloth I got from Southern Car parts. It works awesome and doesn't streak.

My whole process takes about 20 minutes. Then I just put all towels in the washing machine and dry on low and save them for the next time. I do this all in my parking garage space.

Exactly… This is known as the “Gary Dean wash method”, named after a detailer that came up with it a few years ago on autogeek from Sarasota. One microfiber for every couple panels, then toss it and get another one out of the bucket. It really works well and is far easier on the surface regarding scratches than waterless. Waterless just doesn’t have enough lubricity to continually use over years.
Old 09-19-2019, 05:58 PM   #11
cskipgo

Drives: 2019 2SS A10 Shadow Gray
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen e View Post
Exactly… This is known as the “Gary Dean wash method”, named after a detailer that came up with it a few years ago on autogeek from Sarasota. One microfiber for every couple panels, then toss it and get another one out of the bucket. It really works well and is far easier on the surface regarding scratches than waterless. Waterless just doesn’t have enough lubricity to continually use over years.
What do you think of using Waterless Wash for "in between" traditional washes? I usually wash every week, sometimes two, but with foam cannon. Really just annoyed with dust, but wondering anyone's experience with Waterless and if I can use that and reduce the full washing and hopefully not create scratches.
cskipgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 06:47 PM   #12
Glen e

Quote:
Originally Posted by cskipgo View Post
What do you think of using Waterless Wash for "in between" traditional washes? I usually wash every week, sometimes two, but with foam cannon. Really just annoyed with dust, but wondering anyone's experience with Waterless and if I can use that and reduce the full washing and hopefully not create scratches.
It will scratch long term, do a rinseless.....
Old 09-19-2019, 09:39 PM   #13
cmitchell17

Drives: 17 2SS, 8L90, Cam, Heads, E85
Does anyone know if we will ever get to the point of having a wash that is truly touch less and truly works? I have never understood why is always takes manually agitating with your hands to actually clean bonded contaminates at the surface. There is a touchless wash a use now that seems to do a pretty good job, but at the end of the day even with touchless wheather its a pressure washer or a water hose you can still see a haze of bonded dirt on the surface.

It would be one thing if you could use a pressure washer to at least remove enough surface contaminates to where you could then use your hands on the rest and not worry about scratching, but I just don't really get why even high pressure can't remove some dirt.

Also are steam cleaners just hype? I've always wondered about steam cleaners and I don't see any info about anyone ever trying one for that purpose.
cmitchell17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 10:08 PM   #14
KirkH

Drives: 2016 2SS M6 Mosaic Blk Met-SOLD
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmitchell17 View Post
Does anyone know if we will ever get to the point of having a wash that is truly touch less and truly works? I have never understood why is always takes manually agitating with your hands to actually clean bonded contaminates at the surface. There is a touchless wash a use now that seems to do a pretty good job, but at the end of the day even with touchless wheather its a pressure washer or a water hose you can still see a haze of bonded dirt on the surface.

It would be one thing if you could use a pressure washer to at least remove enough surface contaminates to where you could then use your hands on the rest and not worry about scratching, but I just don't really get why even high pressure can't remove some dirt.

Also are steam cleaners just hype? I've always wondered about steam cleaners and I don't see any info about anyone ever trying one for that purpose.
Touchless can work at home if your car is super slick and not too dirty. Pressure washer, foam cannon, hose rinse, SiO2 spray on/off, blow dry, and blot with a towel and you are pretty much touchless.

Touchless car wash coin ops or drive thru use very harsh soaps, chems and recycled water. Avoid at all costs!

I use a steamer every day but not to exterior wash a car. It would take a lot of steam and you would have to let the steamer pressurize a lot of the time. Steamers are great for tires, wheels, carpet, seats, etc.
KirkH is offline   Reply With Quote