Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Bigwormgraphix

View Poll Results: To 1LE or not to 1LE
I bought a 1LE and sorta wish I had bought a non-1LE 4 14.29%
I bought a non-1LE and sorta wish I had bought a 1LE 24 85.71%
Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-16-2019, 07:42 AM   #1
JimRockford

Drives: 1SS + SS-Sedan M6 + Terrain diesel
To 1LE or not to 1LE ? That is the poll question.

I've actually been wanting a 1LE since all the way back to third-gen when I established the first camaro mailing list on the internet in late 1980s. f-body@spdcc.com was the address.

Back in those days, 1LE was a stealth option and included a baffled/fuel-cell-ish fuel tank. I think you had to delete the A/C to secretly enable the 1LE option - it could not be ordered directly.

Recently the 2020 white 2SS I've been stalking is a 1LE and has heated-steering wheel...

I am so into heated steering wheel that I might consider getting a non-V8 slushbox 3LT especially since other-car has LS3 & stick.

But mostly I wonder about whether to 1LE or not, regardless of which engine is selected, hence this thread after reading some existing threads and trying to get a sense of these questions.

How many non-1LE people wish they had gotten a 1LE and why?
How many 1LE people wish they had gotten non-1LE and why?

Seemed like an OK thing to start a new thread about.
JimRockford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 07:53 AM   #2
Mov Ov3r
What speed limit?

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE
I bought a 1LE and never looked back
Mov Ov3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 08:42 AM   #3
Pillow

Drives: Chevy C10 and Cadillac Escalade
As a looker, I am conflicted on this question as well... For a street driver in d2d life the 1LE has +/-s.

1. I'm not a fan of the wrapped hood for a street car. I question the longevity with sun exposure.
2. Will the front end get ripped off the car when entering / exiting gas station curbs etc.
3. Not a fan of alcantera for prologed use vs plain leather wheel and shift knob.
4. More cooler lines and BS to break. I've replaced enough leaking GM oil cooler and trans cooler lines to know the design fails over time and it is a PITA to fix!

Plus side of course..
1. Brakes!
2. Great package value wise.

To note, yeah if you enduro race these then the 1LE would be spot on... For normal drag or auto-x a normal trim level is just fine as you will not need to dissipate heat.

Def a hard decision. Also add that I think the 1LE will hold greater resale value in the long run.

IDK any insight is appreciated... Right now I think the new LT1 trim would be hard to beat.
'79 Porsche 911 SC
'48 Spartan Mansion 30' travel trailer
'10 Porsche Cayenne S - Daily
'10 Cadillac Escalade ESV - 202k - Wifes ride
'07 Audi A4 3.2 6M - Sons ride
'06 Volvo XC70 - Daughters ride
Pillow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 08:48 AM   #4
camaroJD

Drives: 2019 Satin Steel 1SS 1LE w/ PDR
1LE daily driver with no regrets here. I think anything less than a V8 would be a letdown if you're used to a Chevy SS.
camaroJD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 08:53 AM   #5
GooseSS

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS
I wonder if the 2ss might be an option for you? Heated wheel, etc without the cons of a 1LE, although you lose the pros too, lol.

I have an SS and have wanted a 1LE, for me, comes down to how I'll important is the improved handling, track capability and Recaros.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
GooseSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 08:56 AM   #6
DaveC113

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pillow View Post
As a looker, I am conflicted on this question as well... For a street driver in d2d life the 1LE has +/-s.

1. I'm not a fan of the wrapped hood for a street car. I question the longevity with sun exposure.
2. Will the front end get ripped off the car when entering / exiting gas station curbs etc.
3. Not a fan of alcantera for prologed use vs plain leather wheel and shift knob.
4. More cooler lines and BS to break. I've replaced enough leaking GM oil cooler and trans cooler lines to know the design fails over time and it is a PITA to fix!

Plus side of course..
1. Brakes!
2. Great package value wise.

To note, yeah if you enduro race these then the 1LE would be spot on... For normal drag or auto-x a normal trim level is just fine as you will not need to dissipate heat.

Def a hard decision. Also add that I think the 1LE will hold greater resale value in the long run.

IDK any insight is appreciated... Right now I think the new LT1 trim would be hard to beat.
1. Wrapped hood is not a big deal, it can be removed... it's just a big sticker.

2. No

3. Fake suede can be cleaned. IDK why this is such a big deal to some, just clean it?

4. I have not read of any such issues but the cars aren't that old.

1. Brakes are NOT a plus using the car on the street, way too much brake and rotors are $$$.

2. Agree

For Autox the 285/305 tires are a HUGE plus, as is the ELSD. Basically, if you're going to autox or track the car the 1LE is a huge upgrade. The SS 1LE is actually A-Street class in autox which kinda sucks. IMO it should be classed down but I don't care that much. Non-1LEs are in F-Street.
Old 09-16-2019, 09:01 AM   #7
Aragorn
Account Suspended

Drives: Camaro SS 1LE
I have 1le, but I don’t dd it. I know some would disagree, but I wouldn’t want to dd mine. Not only is it a special car that I want to baby, but in a big city, the stop and go might be too much for me.

Last edited by Aragorn; 09-16-2019 at 10:21 AM.
Aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 09:52 AM   #8
3.8TransAM

Drives: SS 1LE, 89 TTA, 91 GTA, 91 Formula
You seem torn by two things.

Do you want that next level performance car aka the 1LE before you have no choice but to go high dollar?

Or do you want a nice cruiser with some flash? Being concerned with things like heated steering wheels make me head to this option. 2SS is right up your alley.

I won't lie I don't own one but Ive been driving performance cars of some variant since I started driving. I miss the American Iron days, track days and everything else you put on hold for career, family, mortgage, etc. I'm buying a 1LE because it offers me all of the above when I am off work or can schedule the time off to go do these things and have fun at a high level. Yet I can still drive it anywhere if I so choose.
3.8TransAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 09:54 AM   #9
cdrptrks

Drives: 2017 Blue Camaro 1SS 1LE with PDR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aragorn View Post
I have 1le, but I don’t dd it. I know a little people would disagree, but I wouldn’t want to dd mine. Not only is it a special car that I want to baby, but in a big city, the stop and go might be too much for me.
Agreed the SS 1LE is uncomfortably stiff if you are driving on uneven or poorly maintained streets even in touring suspension mode, but it can be done. The underside of the front splitter scrapes on steep entrances and exits but it is attached to the bumper very securely. Also not the most pleasant to drive in bumper to bumper traffic due to the manual transmission. But if you plan to track the car it is worth it!
cdrptrks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 09:57 AM   #10
NeverDie
Account Suspended

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS 1LE
The 1LE rides about as softly as my CTS in the Touring mode, I wouldn't say it's anywhere near too stiff for daily duties. That's the whole point of adaptive suspension, anyway. Sure there is more tire noise, but no realistically the ride is very supple for this vehicle in Tour mode.

And to answer the original question, I wouldn't get any trim level of the Camaro without the 1LE package.
NeverDie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 10:10 AM   #11
protovack

Drives: 2019 2LT 2.0T M6 Riverside Blue
had an SS 1LE, it was awesome on the track but I didn't like daily driving it due to the Recaros and it was way too much car for the street. High gas and insurance costs. It ended up sitting in my garage a lot. Downsized to a 2.0T and I drive it way more often and have just as much fun (or more). I'd say only get an SS 1LE if the car is going to see a lot of track time.
protovack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 10:13 AM   #12
AmazinglySmooth

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE
As a happy 1LE DD, I cannot vote in your poll. The 1LE is excessive for my needs, but I didn't care. I like the whole package: suspension, exhaust, wheels, hood, fabrics, seats, appearance, and performance.
AmazinglySmooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 11:14 AM   #13
Joe Remi

Drives: '17 Impala V6 LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmazinglySmooth View Post
As a happy 1LE DD, I cannot vote in your poll. The 1LE is excessive for my needs, but I didn't care. I like the whole package: suspension, exhaust, wheels, hood, fabrics, seats, appearance, and performance.
This is where i knock myself out of logging a vote, too. I don't have a Camaro (yet) and I know a non-1LE 2SS A10 is what I need for dd (I'm not a track guy), but my heart is with all the cool race stuff on the LE. After going back and forth over this conundrum a couple hours, I usually throw in the towel and decide a standard ZL1 A10 is the ticket!

Last edited by Joe Remi; 09-16-2019 at 05:11 PM.
Joe Remi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 11:38 AM   #14
ChildhoodMuscle

Drives: 2018 2SS 1LE
I had a 2SS A8 with MRC & NPP which I DD'ed... just traded it in for a 2SS 1LE and couldn't be happier! I have no issues using it as daily... but I don't have to commute very far.
ChildhoodMuscle is offline   Reply With Quote