Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Specific Packages / Variants > 6th gen Camaro 1LE

Phastek Performance

Old 08-09-2018, 10:48 AM   #1
ISO1le

Drives: 2017 Camaro Summit White 1LE(W/PDR)
Track Day

I'm doing my first track day coming up next month at PBIR.
I'm super excited. I've been searching around the forums and finding a bunch of different answers on what needs to be done for prep and who uses what brand for oil/diff fluid etc..

My tires have plenty of tread ware left so i'm good on tires.
I plan on running Mobil 0w 40 oil. Bleeding the brakes and replacing with DOT-4. And I've seen some people mention that the diff fluid needs to be changed. It seems like everyone recommends ACDelco 10-4034. Is that OEM or just a better alternative?
Also planning on getting the track alignment.

Last edited by ISO1le; 08-09-2018 at 11:39 AM.
ISO1le is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 11:58 AM   #2
zr1chris

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1SS/1LE
What day? Might go check it out and see how you do. I'm really interested to see the 1LE on track in person.
zr1chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 12:01 PM   #3
ISO1le

Quote:
Originally Posted by zr1chris View Post
What day? Might go check it out and see how you do. I'm really interested to see the 1LE on track in person.
September 18th. 3:00 - 9:00 PM. Spectating is free
Old 08-09-2018, 12:04 PM   #4
Move_Over

Drives: ISO ss 1le
Don’t just do any DOT4 - make sure it’s a racing fluid, you’ll boil a regular dot 4. I would just go with SRF as it has the highest boiling points of any fluid. It’s expenive but you’ll go through much less over an RBF600 or similar.

Do a track day on your stock diff fluid, check Cosworth data and see if you see elevated diff temps. I am on stock fluid and never saw elevated diff temps even at 98 degrees ambient.
Move_Over is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 12:06 PM   #5
Eldi Z

Drives: 17' 1SS 1LE GBA-Black
Quote:
Originally Posted by ISO1le View Post
I' And I've seen some people mention that the diff fluid needs to be changed. It seems like everyone recommends ACDelco 10-4034. Is that OEM or just a better alternative?
It is pricey, but is a high quality alternative:

https://www.motul.com/us/en-US/produ...r-300-ls-75w90

Among other respected shops, LG Motorsports offer it to customers preparing for heavy duty use:

https://www.lgmotorsports.com/access...-ls-75w90.html
Eldi Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 12:06 PM   #6
zr1chris

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1SS/1LE
Quote:
September 18th. 3:00 - 9:00 PM. Spectating is free
Tuesday huh... I will be working until at least 3 but if I get out on time I may swing by afterwards. It's only like 30 minutes from my job in Indiantown.
zr1chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 12:23 PM   #7
ISO1le

Quote:
Originally Posted by Move_Over View Post
Don’t just do any DOT4 - make sure it’s a racing fluid, you’ll boil a regular dot 4. I would just go with SRF as it has the highest boiling points of any fluid. It’s expenive but you’ll go through much less over an RBF600 or similar.

Do a track day on your stock diff fluid, check Cosworth data and see if you see elevated diff temps. I am on stock fluid and never saw elevated diff temps even at 98 degrees ambient.
Thanks. For brake fluid I was planning on going with Prospeed rs683.

As for the diff I keep seeing people post on the forums that its supposed to be changed at 1500. I'm at 4500 now. I guess maybe i'll wait and change it after the event.
Old 08-09-2018, 12:56 PM   #8
Move_Over

Drives: ISO ss 1le
Quote:

As for the diff I keep seeing people post on the forums that its supposed to be changed at 1500. I'm at 4500 now. I guess maybe i'll wait and change it after the event.
For the price of prospeed at $25+ship for .5L, i would just go with SRF, nearly the same price for $60 at 1L.

It's got a higher wet boiling point by over 100°F (518 vs 394). This will allow for less frequent bleeds and the fluid will last longer. Dry boiling point is pretty much null, especially in FL. Once you open a can of brake fluid it immediately gets introduced to moisture via humidity. And we all know FL is HUMID! Just my personal opinion.
Move_Over is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 12:59 PM   #9
TP355Z

Drives: 2017 1SS 1LE
Diff fluid should be changed at 1500 and after the first track day per the manual. Having followed that to a tee I do NOT recommend skimping.

Fluid changes cost nothing compared to months of arguing over warranty claims when GM beats you up for not following the book.
TP355Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 08:05 AM   #10
Alpha1BC

Quote:

DEFINITELY change the fluid ASAP and then again very soon after the track event. It's cheap and easy insurance and keeps the warranty intact. The point of changing the diff fluid is to flush out the clutch disk filings from break-in that can damage the ring/pinion and accelerate clutch disk wear. If you get rear end groan or wear out the disks before the warranty is up, you'll probably have to fight with a dealer to replace it under warranty if there's no documentation supporting that the fluid was changed properly during break-in, and even then there's still a chance of being denied.

I also am under the impression that the reason that you're supposed to change again after your first track day is because you get stronger clutch engagements and higher wearing on the track that will create more filings than you would with just street driving.

After the two initial break-in fluid changes, you're also supposed to change the fluid after 24 hrs of track driving IIRC (check your manual to confirm the correct number of hours).

To answer your initial question, ACD 10-4034 is the OE fluid that GM uses from the factory. Everyone is gonna have opinions and suggest different fluids based on preferences, but really you should be just fine so long as the fluid you pick has the required certifications and specifications. I've been using that ACD fluid in mine without issue, but I'm sure there are other fluids that work if you want to use something different.

Aside from that, seems like you've got a good handle on initial track prep. After that it's just a matter of keeping up with the fluid (engine oil, trans, diff, brakes) and consumable (tires, brake pads) changes and you'll be golden!
Old 08-10-2018, 02:06 PM   #11
thescreensavers

Drives: SW 1SS 1LE / Jeep XJ
100% get track alignment, I corded the outside of my driver's front at PBIR. I would have not had to replace my tires so fast if I had had a track alignment.

OEM rear diff fluid is fine and cheap. If you are going to be changing it out alot then spending money on expensive fluid is not worth the extra expenses.
thescreensavers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 11:45 AM   #12
ISO1le

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha1BC View Post
DEFINITELY change the fluid ASAP and then again very soon after the track event. It's cheap and easy insurance and keeps the warranty intact. The point of changing the diff fluid is to flush out the clutch disk filings from break-in that can damage the ring/pinion and accelerate clutch disk wear. If you get rear end groan or wear out the disks before the warranty is up, you'll probably have to fight with a dealer to replace it under warranty if there's no documentation supporting that the fluid was changed properly during break-in, and even then there's still a chance of being denied.

I also am under the impression that the reason that you're supposed to change again after your first track day is because you get stronger clutch engagements and higher wearing on the track that will create more filings than you would with just street driving.

After the two initial break-in fluid changes, you're also supposed to change the fluid after 24 hrs of track driving IIRC (check your manual to confirm the correct number of hours).

To answer your initial question, ACD 10-4034 is the OE fluid that GM uses from the factory. Everyone is gonna have opinions and suggest different fluids based on preferences, but really you should be just fine so long as the fluid you pick has the required certifications and specifications. I've been using that ACD fluid in mine without issue, but I'm sure there are other fluids that work if you want to use something different.

Aside from that, seems like you've got a good handle on initial track prep. After that it's just a matter of keeping up with the fluid (engine oil, trans, diff, brakes) and consumable (tires, brake pads) changes and you'll be golden!
Thanks for your response. I guess if that's the case i'll go with the OEM fluid. How long do you have after the track event to change the diff fluid?
Old 08-13-2018, 11:46 AM   #13
ISO1le

Quote:
Originally Posted by thescreensavers View Post
100% get track alignment, I corded the outside of my driver's front at PBIR. I would have not had to replace my tires so fast if I had had a track alignment.

OEM rear diff fluid is fine and cheap. If you are going to be changing it out alot then spending money on expensive fluid is not worth the extra expenses.
Thanks for your reply. It seems like the track alignment is a must.
Old 08-13-2018, 01:00 PM   #14
Alpha1BC

Quote:
Thanks for your response. I guess if that's the case i'll go with the OEM fluid. How long do you have after the track event to change the diff fluid?
There's no specified time after a track day, but I did it within a few days. I'd think a week or so should be fine assuming it's being driven daily.