Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

AWE Tuning

Old 03-18-2016, 09:22 AM   #141
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizard1183 View Post
As nice as the car is, you can't expect all previous camaro (5th gen) owners to trade in. Sales will fall. The Camaro is a niche item now as is most sports cars and for the price hikes, you can't expect ppl to jump into one even if you have the 4 or cyl grades...
61% of 6th-gen Camaro buyers are trading in a non-GM product.
Old 03-18-2016, 09:26 AM   #142
dennis@hixsonnet.com

Drives: Me: '16 2SS yellow, Wife: '16 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wyndham View Post
61% of 6th-gen Camaro buyers are trading in a non-GM product.
I traded in my 2015 Mustang GT for the 2016 Camaro 2SS
dennis@hixsonnet.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 09:33 AM   #143
Mr. Wyndham

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennis@hixsonnet.com View Post
I traded in my 2015 Mustang GT for the 2016 Camaro 2SS
Looks like you've got two in the family!!
Old 03-18-2016, 09:39 AM   #144
nvrsatisfied

Drives: 2016 SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marks ss View Post
Yes they are. I optioned a 2016 the exactly the same as my 2013 ss convertible.
$7,500 increase. We will have to wait and see how the convertibles sell, but the coupe is really behind the Mustang for 2016. About 6000 units less.
There are so many people waiting for their cars to come in, the dealers by me sell them fast. I had a 15 Mustang GT for 6 months, sold it fior the SS, no regrets at all!
nvrsatisfied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 09:45 AM   #145
ChocoTaco369
145lb Powerlifter

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Techn9cian805 View Post
to the casual and uninformed buyer, yes, the prices will seem high. but there is a reason why they are substantially higher: because you are getting a lot more standard features than last gen had.
No, to the informed buyer, prices are too high. Vehicles are one of the worst investments a human being can make in terms of asset depreciation, and the 6th Gen Camaro is a far worse investment than a 5th Gen Camaro. The people buying these cars are largely loyalists that care more about GM's branding than their own portfolio.

Price increases are on the order of a 10-20% versus a 5th Gen. The difference in performance on the street is nearly zero. You cannot use the power of a 5th Gen in 99% of driving situations. Yes, a 6th Gen is a better performer on paper, but in the real world, you're paying a huge price premium for an upgraded infotainment system, better cupholders and a more cramped interior.

The most significant increases have hit the V6 models. The 5th Gens sold like hotcakes because you could get a 330 horsepower sports car for $22,000 brand new. Those are prices that rivaled entry-level Hondas, and they had pretty darn good fuel economy, too. It was a no-brainer "cool car" for so many people. Now that the entry level price has been bumped up to $30,000 with taxes and fees, people aren't buying.

GM would have been far smarter to decrease performance to save money. These things won't sell without a price reduction, period, and the Mustang will continue to steamroll the Camaro.
Old 03-18-2016, 09:47 AM   #146
merlin803

Drives: 2016 Summit White Camaro 2SS
The other thing, for the average consumer, not us who are looking everywhere for as much info about Camaro's as we can find, where are the advertisements for the 16 Camaro?

I have seen many Mustang commercials, where are the Camaro commercials?

Come on GM, you should have commercials for these cars showing what they look like and what they can do (not everyone is going to lookup videos on You Tube like me but when I did, it was like "whoa, I definitely want one of those").

I hadn't seen any 16 Camaro's driving around in these parts at all but when I did stumble on my first one in person in a show room, it was like "damn...." and I ended up buying it but even then, it was the ONLY one the dealership had on display.

I really believe that once these become more visible and more awareness gets out about them, once they are better stocked and once the weather gets better that you are going to see sales pick up.

I can tell you that in the office that I work at, everyone that has talked to me about my car wasn't even aware that there was a new generation of Camaro.
merlin803 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 09:49 AM   #147
classicrockr
Pills are for Pansies

Drives: 2023 2SS Red Hot Vert Camaro
I'm waiting to see if GM learned their lesson with the Gen5 convertibles before I buy mine. I'm hoping there's no problems, then I can get that Hyper Blue 2LT/RS vert. Unless they were to bring out Sunrise Orange metallic....then I'd consider not getting the blue.

Either way, once the verts are out, it will take about 6 months to determine any problem trends; by then the prices should be lower.
classicrockr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 10:09 AM   #148
Marks ss

Drives: 2013 Camaro SS conbertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
No, to the informed buyer, prices are too high. Vehicles are one of the worst investments a human being can make in terms of asset depreciation, and the 6th Gen Camaro is a far worse investment than a 5th Gen Camaro. The people buying these cars are largely loyalists that care more about GM's branding than their own portfolio.

Price increases are on the order of a 10-20% versus a 5th Gen. The difference in performance on the street is nearly zero. You cannot use the power of a 5th Gen in 99% of driving situations. Yes, a 6th Gen is a better performer on paper, but in the real world, you're paying a huge price premium for an upgraded infotainment system, better cupholders and a more cramped interior.

The most significant increases have hit the V6 models. The 5th Gens sold like hotcakes because you could get a 330 horsepower sports car for $22,000 brand new. Those are prices that rivaled entry-level Hondas, and they had pretty darn good fuel economy, too. It was a no-brainer "cool car" for so many people. Now that the entry level price has been bumped up to $30,000 with taxes and fees, people aren't buying.

GM would have been far smarter to decrease performance to save money. These things won't sell without a price reduction, period, and the Mustang will continue to steamroll the Camaro.
I totally agree. GM has really miscalculated the pricing on the Gen6. Once the pre-orders are delivered these cars are going to sit for awhile.
Marks ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 10:11 AM   #149
Mr. Wyndham

Quote:
No, to the informed buyer, prices are too high.
Then the buyer isn't very "informed", now is he? Mustang GT and Camaro SS are within $500 to $1000 of each other when equipped similarly.

Now, if buyer 'A' has no desire for much of anything outside of a big engine and cool style, then he/she can get into a Mustang for less, this is true.

Quote:
Price increases are on the order of a 10-20% versus a 5th Gen. The difference in performance on the street is nearly zero.
0 performance increase?

No more than 10% increase in price of cars...and much of that is due to increased standard content (some of which were options on 5th gen).

Quote:
$22,000 is an inaccurate price quote as it stands, but also doesn't include anything else, like destination charges, etc....and you're comparing that to $30,000 after taxes to make you're point?

Please correct me if wrong, but it seems to me you're skewing reality quite a bit to try and prove this point...
Old 03-18-2016, 10:27 AM   #150
dreamingat30fps

Drives: 2016 2SS
Quote:
The price difference on the chevy site between a 2015 1LT and a 2016 1LT with no extra addons is about $3k. The updated interior is worth the $3k for me and honestly I'd never even considered a camaro until now because of the interior. That's not even counting the extra standard features and new platform of the 2016.

That being for the people who don't care about that and just want a cheap sports car.... go buy a 2015, I'm sure they have great deals on those.
dreamingat30fps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 10:29 AM   #151
merlin803

Drives: 2016 Summit White Camaro 2SS
I understand people being upset if they were priced out of getting a 16 Camaro but I think the price increase is also getting exaggerated, the comparison is usually not apples to apples.

While true that you could probably go with Ford or Chrysler and get a cheaper sports car, and there is nothing wrong with that if that is your bottom line, there is no denying that the technology and performance of the 6th Gen Camaro is at least a moderate improvement over them and in some cases a large improvement.

My 16 2SS was more than my 14 2SS but not by that much and I got a whole lot more included with my 16 2SS.
merlin803 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 10:31 AM   #152
Mr. Wyndham

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlin803 View Post
My 16 2SS was more than my 14 2SS but not by that much and I got a whole lot more included with my 16 2SS.
I could get a 2016 2SS and meet or exceed my 2014 1LE (when it was new) in nearly every performance and comfort metric for $3000 less.
Old 03-18-2016, 10:33 AM   #153
Whis

Drives: 2016 2SS Hyper Blue
Quote:
Vehicles are one of the worst investments
Fail #1: Classifying this car as an investment or assuming other people are doing the same.

Really tired of hearing this.
Whis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 10:40 AM   #154
SpeedIsLife

Drives: Current Camaro-less
The whole "equipped similarly" thing is irrelevant to the average buyer, folks.

They're not going to care about the "track ready" coolers, etc. I'm sure enthusiasts carefully evaluate these things, but a lot of people when they're looking at a Camaro, Mustang or Challenger aren't looking to race their cars, or track them, or anything like that. They want a good looking car, that gets reasonably good fuel economy, a V8, that is comfortable and is reliable.
With the Mustang's lower price of entry, it's much more tempting. It's a very tired, worn out, overplayed and irrelevant argument to say "well when equipped similarly...". No, the fact is the price of entry on either V8 Mustang is significantly less than a V8 Camaro 1SS or 2SS. The price of entry on a Mustang in general is less, the price on the mid range models is less.
In the domestic and global market, the Mustang is priced better for a car that on the street and for having a bit of fun on curvy roads is just as fun and capable as the Camaro.

A 2015 2LT automatic Camaro would get you ambient lighting, a HUD, touch screen infotainment system, a smaller yet still usable DIC, and you could get into that for $31,495. Now the closest 2LT for that money is a manual turbo 4 with no ambient lighting, no HUD, nothing. A 2LT V6 automatic with roughly the same equipment is $36,585, a $5,100 jump.

That is where a much, much bigger problem than the SS pricing are.
SpeedIsLife is offline   Reply With Quote