Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 06-25-2018, 09:16 PM   #309
gringo
Account Suspended

Drives: Camaro V6
Quote:
Originally Posted by motorhead View Post
He may mean that the less interior space may not mean anything to some. I know i dont really care that adults cant sit back there. To me neither the gen5 nor the gen6 are practical. If you want practical performance buy an SS or a Charger. And as far as why not just buy a vette than, well, some people actually want a Camaro not a Vette.
He may not care. You may not care. And, I certainly don't care about back seat room because no one rides in my car but me. However, there are people (who are on the ragged edge of practicality) where having some room in the back seat and/or a larger trunk would matter to them.

Making the car less practical than the one before it will force those buyers on the fringe to go buy something else. The only car that is similar in the marketplace that offers more room with almost the same performance is the Mustang.

I don't know about you, but if I had the opportunity to get a new Vette instead of a new Camaro for the same price, I'd pick the Vette every time.
gringo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 12:24 AM   #310
SecondZ28

Drives: 2013 ZL1
QUOTE=gringo;10230441]Interior space is not subjective. The car either has more room, the same room or less room. On the 6th gen, it has less room. The backseat is basically useless for adults.

It was a bad move by GM to make the 6th gen less practical. If you want a sports/sporty car with no room in the back to fit people, they have the Corvette for that.[/QUOTE]

Precisely

Quote:
Originally Posted by gringo View Post
He may not care. You may not care. And, I certainly don't care about back seat room because no one rides in my car but me. However, there are people (who are on the ragged edge of practicality) where having some room in the back seat and/or a larger trunk would matter to them.

Making the car less practical than the one before it will force those buyers on the fringe to go buy something else.
Me exactly...
Attached Images

'87 GN
SecondZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 12:33 AM   #311
L6611983

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
The only time I get a new car is when It's wrecked or beyond repair.
L6611983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 12:44 AM   #312
L99problems

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2ss
Me exactly...[/QUOTE]

I'm saving this picture for the day I have a kid and the wife tells me we need to sell the Camaro
L99problems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 12:50 AM   #313
Stormcloak
slower than you

Drives: 2012 C6 Z06
Quote:
On the 5th gen, you could at least fit someone of average stature in the backseat and go for a short road trip.
If you're looking to make some extra coin as an Uber driver in the Shire, perhaps.

Our back seats are there as a selling point, and little else.
Old 06-26-2018, 01:00 AM   #314
StingrayblueSS

Drives: 2013 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormcloak View Post
If you're looking to make some extra coin as an Uber driver in the Shire, perhaps.

Our back seats are there as a selling point, and little else.
When a 4 year old asks you to put the seat up there's a problem.
StingrayblueSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 10:46 AM   #315
rontammy0
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 2SS/ RS INFERNO ORANGE L99
I find the backseat of Mustangs and Camaros useless as far as being user friendly. Can you use them? Sure.. but after getting in the back to wipe of the dust Im thinking wow...it really sucks back here. But most owners are well aware of the backseat space before purchase.
rontammy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 01:42 PM   #316
12blkgrayRS

Drives: 2012 Camaro RS 2LT 6spd man
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDXSSCE View Post
Since it appears both of you run at tracks... Is a roll-bar required at a track to run a 5th generation SS convertible?
I've been wanting to try it, but won't make that modification & expense.
For the Chin Track Days (formerly motorsports) it requires it.
12blkgrayRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 01:58 PM   #317
PDXSSCE
Yee-aay-ee!

Drives: 2015 2SS/RS CV CE
Quote:
Originally Posted by 12blkgrayRS View Post
For the Chin Track Days (formerly motorsports) it requires it.
I've since learned that SCCA Track Night in America doesn't require a roll bar. My concern now are the online reports of Camaro side air bags needlessly being triggered while on the track.
Old 06-26-2018, 03:32 PM   #318
Gen6_1Le

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1Le
Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal Tiger View Post
That doesn’t look bad at all!
69 / 10 side by side , someone from this forum was selling the cars years ago.
https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=58774
Gen6_1Le is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 03:33 PM   #319
ChibiBlackSheep

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS, 1968 SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gen6_1Le View Post
69 / 10 side by side , someone from this forum was selling the cars years ago.
https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=58774
My sig has my 68 next to my 13

ChibiBlackSheep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 03:42 PM   #320
Gen6_1Le

Quote:

Making the car less practical than the one before it will force those buyers on the fringe to go buy something else. The only car that is similar in the marketplace that offers more room with almost the same performance is the Mustang.

I don't know about you, but if I had the opportunity to get a new Vette instead of a new Camaro for the same price, I'd pick the Vette every time.
Making a car less practical that results in a good bit more performance is what these cars are all about , has to be a sacrifice . I will take the performance, i don't need the room , that's is what the Corvette has always been about and now with the 6th Gen Camaro the gap between the two is much less .
Last year i picked the 6th get 1LE over a few Vettes one being new Z51 and that will be the trend in the future .
Old 06-26-2018, 03:49 PM   #321
Gen6_1Le

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChibiBlackSheep View Post
My sig has my 68 next to my 13
When they are side by side what would you say the size difference is , for some reason the 68s looked smaller to me the 69s. Your car looks familiar , seen one in the Elverson area few Saturdays ago.
Old 06-26-2018, 05:21 PM   #322
gringo
Account Suspended

Drives: Camaro V6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gen6_1Le View Post
Making a car less practical that results in a good bit more performance is what these cars are all about , has to be a sacrifice . I will take the performance, i don't need the room , that's is what the Corvette has always been about and now with the 6th Gen Camaro the gap between the two is much less .
Last year i picked the 6th get 1LE over a few Vettes one being new Z51 and that will be the trend in the future .
You're still being bedazzled by the performance argument. The 5th gen was extra heavy because GM used a modified version of the Zeta platform which was a "fullsized" car platform for Holden at the time.

Actually, all out performance is not what these cars are about. Think back to the origins of the Camaro and the Mustang before it. They were cars that appealed to a new market segment of buyers that were looking for a sports car look with a somewhat sporty performance flavor at an affordable price.

They had to be practical enough to have room for 4 passengers and a small trunk, but we all know the backseats were rather confined. However, in a pinch you could fit two average build adults in the back and drive around. On the 6th gen, that is not possible. It lost a lot of interior room and trunk space.

If the Camaro eventually turns into a sports car, buyers who are looking for the kind of car the Camaro use to represent will look elswhere. Unfortunately, that elsewhere will be the competitor make, the Ford Mustang.

I don't think that would be a good approach for the long term success of keeping the Camaro alive for a profitable 7th gen and possibly an 8th gen after that. Also, siphoning potential sales from the Corvette is not good for GM's bottom line either.
gringo is offline   Reply With Quote