Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Bigwormgraphix

Old 04-12-2020, 08:35 AM   #1
Ssvertlife

Drives: 2017 Silver SS Convertible
Convertible & Headers

Hey I have a 2017 convertible SS and want to install headers but keeping reading about clearance issues due to the the brace underneath. What is the easiest way to do it and what brand you recommend that fit best? Also does it bolts up to the factory pipe? Meaning cats and all, or do I have to go catless
Ssvertlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2020, 09:17 AM   #2
driven2exceSS

Drives: 2016 2SS BLK A8 Vert
I originally went with the ARH 1 7/8 headers ("intermediate system"). I did not do the install, as I got a tune done as well at the same time. As you can see (link) the cats come with the system. I have had NO clearance issues with braces or steering column, and my stock plug wires have been fine (although would like to get some Granatelli ones). I hacked up my remaining OE exhaust a bit too. I did the secondary "cat" delete and crush pipe and AFM delete as well.
*But the additional hacking did not mess with the header install at all.
https://americanracingheaders.com/co...amaro?sort_by=
NPP, MRC, Tinted side & rear reflectors, OEM ZL1 Rockers / 3rd Brake / Darken tail lights, OEM Blk rear splash guards, Satin hood wrap, Fuse pull, Sound tube delete, Cat delete, Ported 95 TB, Ported MSD IM, Dry RotoFab, ARH 1 7/8 headers, E85, "Performance Dyno" Tune, BMR "pieces", "Track" alignment, Hawk DCT-70/70's w/SRF, Goodridge lines, Ti shims, Red powdered calipers, 18" APEX SM-10's w/ Pirelli DH's, FE4 Vert swaybars, Brake cooling ducts, ATI 10% UD, Vorshlag camber plates, OEM 1LE Splitter w/APR Ext., Velossa BIG MOUTH Ram Air, CF QA1, ZLE brakes(F)
driven2exceSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2020, 09:48 AM   #3
Ssvertlife

Ok great, I will check them out! Is the problem normally with convertibles just the mid pipe with certain brands? Also do you know if its any problems with clearance with axle back mufflers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by driven2exceSS View Post
I originally went with the ARH 1 7/8 headers ("intermediate system"). I did not do the install, as I got a tune done as well at the same time. As you can see (link) the cats come with the system. I have had NO clearance issues with braces or steering column, and my stock plug wires have been fine (although would like to get some Granatelli ones). I hacked up my remaining OE exhaust a bit too. I did the secondary "cat" delete and crush pipe and AFM delete as well.
*But the additional hacking did not mess with the header install at all.
https://americanracingheaders.com/co...amaro?sort_by=
Old 04-12-2020, 10:23 AM   #4
driven2exceSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ssvertlife View Post
Ok great, I will check them out! Is the problem normally with convertibles just the mid pipe with certain brands? Also do you know if its any problems with clearance with axle back mufflers?
That would be my guess, running real close to the X-brace. But it's been done.
I do not have any first hand experience with axle backs, I'm running the NPP still, but to my knowledge they are fine. Maybe someone will chime in with their personal experience.
NPP, MRC, Tinted side & rear reflectors, OEM ZL1 Rockers / 3rd Brake / Darken tail lights, OEM Blk rear splash guards, Satin hood wrap, Fuse pull, Sound tube delete, Cat delete, Ported 95 TB, Ported MSD IM, Dry RotoFab, ARH 1 7/8 headers, E85, "Performance Dyno" Tune, BMR "pieces", "Track" alignment, Hawk DCT-70/70's w/SRF, Goodridge lines, Ti shims, Red powdered calipers, 18" APEX SM-10's w/ Pirelli DH's, FE4 Vert swaybars, Brake cooling ducts, ATI 10% UD, Vorshlag camber plates, OEM 1LE Splitter w/APR Ext., Velossa BIG MOUTH Ram Air, CF QA1, ZLE brakes(F)
Old 04-12-2020, 11:05 AM   #5
driven2exceSS

In the meantime, if you haven't already, scan through the convertible forum/section too.
Or the "V8 LT1 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons" section.
...Or even see what comes up with a forum search
Old 04-12-2020, 02:34 PM   #6
SCCAMAROSS

Drives: 2018 A8 Camaro SS Vert
Just had Kooks long tube headers installed when I installed my Whipple and no fitment issues at all.
2018 Camaro SS convertible. Whipple S/C, Kooks headers with green cats, NW 103mm TB Streetscene rocker panel and side skirts, Helix tail lights, , Big Gulp Rotofab CAI, Borla Attak axleback, AFE Power lowering springs
SCCAMAROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2020, 03:30 PM   #7
Ssvertlife

Ok thanks 👌🏽

Quote:
Originally Posted by driven2exceSS View Post
In the meantime, if you haven't already, scan through the convertible forum/section too.
Or the "V8 LT1 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons" section.
...Or even see what comes up with a forum search
Old 04-12-2020, 03:31 PM   #8
Ssvertlife

You catless or just got rid of your secondary cats?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCCAMAROSS View Post
Just had Kooks long tube headers installed when I installed my Whipple and no fitment issues at all.
Old 04-12-2020, 03:52 PM   #9
SCCAMAROSS

Drives: 2018 A8 Camaro SS Vert
I kept my secondary cats and went with the green cat option that Kooks has. Very high flow cats. I may end up deleting my secondary cats eventually but that doesn't do much for hp and the car is already aggressive sounding so maybe not.
2018 Camaro SS convertible. Whipple S/C, Kooks headers with green cats, NW 103mm TB Streetscene rocker panel and side skirts, Helix tail lights, , Big Gulp Rotofab CAI, Borla Attak axleback, AFE Power lowering springs
SCCAMAROSS is offline   Reply With Quote