#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 01-18-2019, 08:48 AM   #113
02fbody35th

Drives: 2018 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by OVERPAR73 View Post
Got my catch can in it's final position tonight. I went with my original position on the lower bolt of the thermostat housing. I tried the top bolt with the new bracket but it was to high and was hitting the rain deflector when I tried lower the hood. I also ground down the original bracket a little bit since it was so close to the belt.
Looks great! Mine is mounted the exact same way. When you start it up. Can you take off your oil cap and see if your getting a good vacuum? Mine has a pretty strong vacuum, which elite said is normal. But I like to have peace of mind. Thanks
Old 01-18-2019, 10:32 AM   #114
ALPHA1LE

Drives: 2018 SS 1LE
Would you ZL1 guys be interested in a bracket solution that is essentially like the one below? I did some initial fitment testing on a ZL1 with my bracket design and was pleasantly surprised with the results. The only downside which isn’t much of one, it would need to be mounted to the pulley bolts. This means a belt change would require removal of the can. Its a CAD design, made from 6061 billet aluminum and CNC laser cut.
Attached Images

Last edited by ALPHA1LE; 01-19-2019 at 08:28 AM.
ALPHA1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 01:42 PM   #115
Alain

Drives: 2016 Challenger Hellcat, 2018 ZL1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALPHA1LE View Post
Would you ZL1 guys be interested in a bracket solution that is essentially like the one below? I did some initial fitment testing on a ZL1 with my bracket design and was pleasantly surprised with the results. The only downside which isn’t much of one, it would need to be bolted to the pulleys. This means a belt change would require removal of the can. Its a CAD design, made from 6061 billet aluminum and CNC laser cut.
Do you have pictures of exactly how your bracket bolts up to te pulley?

2018 ZL1 1LE/Red hot

2019 Shellby GT 350R/ Oxford white/ Matte Black Stripes/ Carbon Fiber Dash/ Electronics Package #413
Alain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 01:44 PM   #116
Alain

Quote:
Got my catch can in it's final position tonight. I went with my original position on the lower bolt of the thermostat housing. I tried the top bolt with the new bracket but it was to high and was hitting the rain deflector when I tried lower the hood. I also ground down the original bracket a little bit since it was so close to the belt.
Bill, the two piece bracket was a no-go because of the hood?

Is that what you are referring to by “the new bracket “?

2018 ZL1 1LE/Red hot

2019 Shellby GT 350R/ Oxford white/ Matte Black Stripes/ Carbon Fiber Dash/ Electronics Package #413
Old 01-18-2019, 02:16 PM   #117
zfuzz

Drives: 69 Z28 / 12 ZL1
That looks really sharp ALPHA1LE !

I like that it sets a little lower than the other options.

Any pics of the bracket bolted to the pulleys?

How do we get one ?
zfuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 03:32 PM   #118
ALPHA1LE

The waterpumps between the ZL1 and the SS are the same part#. On the face of the waterpump there are two bolt holes, the SS uses them for the soundtube and the ZL1 for the idler pulleys. My brackets utilize those two holes and for the ZL1 I would use spacers in front of the idler pulleys bolts.

I will be offering these to the 6th gen SS guys next week once I become a sponsor. And if there is enough interest, ill offer them to the ZL1 guys as well.

See the pics below for reference.
Attached Images

Last edited by ALPHA1LE; 01-19-2019 at 10:23 AM.
Old 01-18-2019, 04:06 PM   #119
OVERPAR73
2018 Garnet Red ZL1 conve

Drives: 2013 & 2018 ZL1 vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alain View Post
Bill, the two piece bracket was a no-go because of the hood?

Is that what you are referring to by “the new bracket “?
Yes, exactly the new bracket results in the can being mounted to high. I went back to me original bracket and lower bolt like I had before. I really like this new bracket that bolts to the pulleys as shown above!
Old 01-18-2019, 04:08 PM   #120
OVERPAR73
2018 Garnet Red ZL1 conve

Drives: 2013 & 2018 ZL1 vert
Quote:
The waterpumps between the ZL1 and the SS are the same part#. On the face of the waterpump there are two bolt holes, the SS uses them for the soundtube and the ZL1 for the idler pulleys. My brackets utilize those two holes and for the ZL1 I would use spacers in front of the idler pulleys.

I will be offering these to the 6th gen SS guys next week once I become a sponsor. And if there is enough interest, ill offer them to the ZL1 guys as well.

See the pics below for reference.
Put me down for wanting one of your brackets, looks really good!
Bill
bscott234@yahoo.com

Last edited by OVERPAR73; 01-18-2019 at 04:30 PM.
OVERPAR73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 08:11 AM   #121
Alain

Quote:
Yes, exactly the new bracket results in the can being mounted to high. I went back to me original bracket and lower bolt like I had before. I really like this new bracket that bolts to the pulleys as shown above!
Ok, thank you Bill.

I never received the two piece bracket from Elite like I thought I was going to. I'll just stay with the original bracket they sent me.

Quote:
Would you ZL1 guys be interested in a bracket solution that is essentially like the one below? I did some initial fitment testing on a ZL1 with my bracket design and was pleasantly surprised with the results. The only downside which isn’t much of one, it would need to be bolted to the pulleys. This means a belt change would require removal of the can. Its a CAD design, made from 6061 billet aluminum and CNC laser cut.
When you say the bracket needs to be bolted to the pulley, you're mean to the bolt that holds the actual pulley in place?

When you have them, can you post pictures of the installed bracket on the actual ZL1?

I"m assuming these pictures you've posted are mounted on a SS.

2018 ZL1 1LE/Red hot

Old 01-19-2019, 08:25 AM   #122
ALPHA1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alain View Post
Ok, thank you Bill.

I never received the two piece bracket from Elite like I thought I was going to. I'll just stay with the original bracket they sent me.

When you say the bracket needs to be bolted to the pulley, you're mean to the bolt that holds the actual pulley in place?

When you have them, can you post pictures of the installed bracket on the actual ZL1?

I"m assuming these pictures you've posted are mounted on a SS.
You’re correct on both counts. Sorry if I wasn’t clear but yes the bracket would mount to the pulley bolts.
Old 01-19-2019, 09:26 AM   #123
hawk02
Coupe Newbie

Drives: 2017 ZL1, 2021 Corvette Convertible
Something just doesn't seem right when a nine page thread is needed to install a simple catch can.

It seems to me everyone installing one is going on the assumption that a catch can is going to miraculously stop any and all pooling of oilly blow-by in the bottom of the supercharger. However, to date, I've yet to see any comparison of the pooling before and after the installation of one. There's been plenty of befores, but no afters. At least none that I've seen.

Before I go to all this trouble to install one on my ZL1, I'd like to see some concrete evidence that it eliminates or reduces the blow-by.

Here's the bottom of my SC at 8000 miles with no catch can. Yes, there is some pooling but the by-pass valve and intercooler bricks look pretty darn clean. I could care less how much oil is in the bottom of the SC as long the critical parts stay relatively blow-by free.

If someone has a photo of their SC bottom after a catch can install, please post it. It would be a great service to the community to see a before and after comparison before going to this much work to install one on our cars.
Attached Images

Old 01-19-2019, 11:07 AM   #124
kwav8r
Flyin NOE

Drives: 2018 ZL1 (A10)

posted this a while back.

As for nine pages for a catch can, how many pages were devoted to red seatbelts, chrome vs. black start buttons, or better yet 28 pages to stone/rock guards...
kwav8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 06:10 AM   #125
Alain

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawk02 View Post
Something just doesn't seem right when a nine page thread is needed to install a simple catch can.

It seems to me everyone installing one is going on the assumption that a catch can is going to miraculously stop any and all pooling of oilly blow-by in the bottom of the supercharger. However, to date, I've yet to see any comparison of the pooling before and after the installation of one. There's been plenty of befores, but no afters. At least none that I've seen.

Before I go to all this trouble to install one on my ZL1, I'd like to see some concrete evidence that it eliminates or reduces the blow-by.

Here's the bottom of my SC at 8000 miles with no catch can. Yes, there is some pooling but the by-pass valve and intercooler bricks look pretty darn clean. I could care less how much oil is in the bottom of the SC as long the critical parts stay relatively blow-by free.

If someone has a photo of their SC bottom after a catch can install, please post it. It would be a great service to the community to see a before and after comparison before going to this much work to install one on our cars.
Well, many people have posted pictures of the amount of oil the catch can has caught while being installed. What you won’t see pictures of is the condition of the valves as they are getting caked with oil because there’s no fuel being sprayed on them (this is the reason I got the catch can). It’s easy to lift the top of the blower and clean the oil (if that was the only issue). The condition of the valves is the main reason to get the catch can in my opinion.

Lastly, most of the last posts were about figuring out an alternate way to mount this thing to the radiator.

The cans obviously catch the oil these engines produce. That’s not really debatable

2018 ZL1 1LE/Red hot