Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction Discussions

AWE Tuning

Old 07-26-2018, 12:01 PM   #29
JANNETTYRACING

Drives: BLUE CAMARO ZL1 1LE M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingLT1 View Post
You have to change the Turbos to hit 1200 don't you?
No Sir. same turbos will support 1200
JANNETTYRACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 12:49 PM   #30
Sixgunsled

Drives: 2017 camaro SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDP Sales View Post
Turbo makes more power on less boost. More efficient. Also, the fortune isn't what some would lead you to believe. It can be done safely and for less money than the Port or big bore DI stuff.

Happy to help should you ever need it. Check us out sometime.

All the best,

Jared
If your going to stick with DI strictly then I don't know how you wouldn't spend a lot money seeing as how there aren't really any choices for big power other than the lingenfelter stuff. The LT4 stuff can't support it without help. The port injection set up from in tank pump all the way to injector tip can be had for less unless you buy the already put together kit with is probably still less.
15" conversion
Port injection

22K+ followers on Instagram @Sixgunsled
6.4K subscribers YouTube: Sixgunsled
Sixgunsled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 12:59 PM   #31
Sixgunsled

Quote:
Originally Posted by JANNETTYRACING View Post
The Hellion system has made More power at 9 PSI than any other forced induction method by 75 RWHP on 93 octane pump gas, and the potential for 1200 RWHP, with enough fuel supply,

That is pretty Cheap HP when you calculate in the price difference between other FI systems at 75 RWHP Less.

Most of the other FI systems will not support 1200 RWHP.

Ted.
Procharger will support 1200whp. The only real benefit I see for the twin turbos vs procharger is the control over the boost with a turbo system. The boost level is easily modified or changed with a turbo set up. With the procharger you have to either swap pulley's to change boost levels or have two tunes and pull timing on one tune to make less power. But still the procharger set up is like $6,500 and the twin turbo kit is over $9K. And while the turbo's may make a little more hp they have more heat issues.

Justin from Street Car Takeover just had an F1a-94 procharger, procharger intake manifold, and procharger air to water intercooler put on his 6th gen ZL1. He hasn't had it tuned yet but he had fuel rails added to the manifold for port injection. I'm curious to see how is setup holds in the 1/4 mile as he hasn't mentioned any plans so far to run meth.
15" conversion
Port injection

Old 07-26-2018, 01:11 PM   #32
JANNETTYRACING

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sixgunsled View Post
Procharger will support 1200whp. The only real benefit I see for the twin turbos vs procharger is the control over the boost with a turbo system. The boost level is easily modified or changed with a turbo set up. With the procharger you have to either swap pulley's to change boost levels or have two tunes and pull timing on one tune to make less power. But still the procharger set up is like $6,500 and the twin turbo kit is over $9K. And while the turbo's may make a little more hp they have more heat issues.

Justin from Street Car Takeover just had an F1a-94 procharger, procharger intake manifold, and procharger air to water intercooler put on his 6th gen ZL1. He hasn't had it tuned yet but he had fuel rails added to the manifold for port injection. I'm curious to see how is setup holds in the 1/4 mile as he hasn't mentioned any plans so far to run meth.
I did not say a Procharger could not support 1200 whp, but it still takes more boost to achieve the same power.

I certainly do not want to get in to a dispute over this but I have the price guide on my desk, an F1A competition tuner kit MAP price 9159.00, the Sheet metal intake it 2189.00, then any other options you might add like black powder coating, 10 rib drive, ATI balancer etc.

I still think the Hellion is a great value.

Ted.
Old 07-26-2018, 01:21 PM   #33
Sixgunsled

Quote:
I did not say a Procharger could not support 1200 whp, but it still takes more boost to achieve the same power.

I certainly do not want to get in to a dispute over this but I have the price guide on my desk, an F1A competition tuner kit MAP price 9159.00, the Sheet metal intake it 2189.00, then any other options you might add like black powder coating, 10 rib drive, ATI balancer etc.

I still think the Hellion is a great value.

Ted.
I definitely agree Ted that the hellion kit is bad ass and I just finished reading your thread on the install of it on the LT1 auto car and it is definitely making me re-think everything. For the procharger kit, yes, if you get the intake manifold it definitely jumps the price up, I didn't plan on getting it just because I think the MSD intake is fine and cost far less especially on the used market. I think both kits are great options. It may be worth my while to try to go with the twin turbos just based on the fact that I can run less boost through the motor to achieve my desired power goals and the boost customization ability. My only concern is I already have a boost cam that was made for the F1a-94 set up. But if my horsepower goals are the same boost is boost, not sure it would matter too much. Whats your take on that?
15" conversion
Port injection

Old 07-26-2018, 01:24 PM   #34
Sixgunsled

Another thing is the intercooler that comes with the turbo kit, Not sure it would really support what I need it to do. At least with procharger they offer an air to water intercooler. So with the turbo kit I wouldn't have to get a custom intercooler more than likey and would have a difficult time selling the kit intercooler. so many decisions.
15" conversion
Port injection

Old 07-26-2018, 01:32 PM   #35
Eyefixstuff

Drives: 16’ 2SS A8 HBM Procharged
Keep in mind the turbo kit also includes things like the headers. Which with any high power setup you’ll need anyway. People have had great success with the additional port injection setups, and some nice meth setups. On my personal car I’m going to do a cam next, as I just did the LT4 fuel upgrades. Ted in my opinion has sent me in the right direction and I’m very happy with my car so far. I could definitely do meth and I’m sure be fine with it. But the mechanic in me sees things every day that fail and I find myself questioning why an engineer would add these things that just make it more complex and more parts that can fail.

There needs to be some balance there. At least for me. I’m sure there are people that can run a dual injection setup with a secondary ecm and being spraying 100% meth for 80,000 miles and be fine. But for me personally, I would rather not even take the risk with my daily driver. I would not be happy stop light racing a mustang and having my port injection stop working at 6500rpm. And yes I know there are fail safes to avoid this stuff, but you can see my point. I know this is going to be “a 1000hp monster daily driver” but the key there is daily driver. If this were a race car I would just send it.

EDIT: Sorry I was not trying to make this thread about myself. I was just giving my thoughts on the argument that was being had about the fuel setups and such. I apologize if it didn’t help much.
Old 07-26-2018, 01:34 PM   #36
Inkedmongo

Drives: 2ss
I dig the turbos, it's just hard looking at a kit and seeing $3200 turbos hit $9k for the rest of the kit, but I understand fabricators need a ROI for their mock time and materials.

I feel the same way when I look at my PC kit though too.

I'm just more irritated with the cost of fuel components, I understand supply and demand, and business being business, and the electrical components having R&D time and software development to recover from, but the prices on optional secondary fuel systems seem to dance on the line of profit and modern day extortion compared to options offered for other brand of vehicles.

Sorry everyone, I get a case of the Mondays when thinking of my options on fuel for my own build.
Inkedmongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 01:55 PM   #37
JANNETTYRACING

Quote:
I definitely agree Ted that the hellion kit is bad ass and I just finished reading your thread on the install of it on the LT1 auto car and it is definitely making me re-think everything. For the procharger kit, yes, if you get the intake manifold it definitely jumps the price up, I didn't plan on getting it just because I think the MSD intake is fine and cost far less especially on the used market. I think both kits are great options. It may be worth my while to try to go with the twin turbos just based on the fact that I can run less boost through the motor to achieve my desired power goals and the boost customization ability. My only concern is I already have a boost cam that was made for the F1a-94 set up. But if my horsepower goals are the same boost is boost, not sure it would matter too much. Whats your take on that?
Quote:
Another thing is the intercooler that comes with the turbo kit, Not sure it would really support what I need it to do. At least with procharger they offer an air to water intercooler. So with the turbo kit I wouldn't have to get a custom intercooler more than likey and would have a difficult time selling the kit intercooler. so many decisions.
Swapping a cam is no big deal and is a key player I can help you with that.

The intercooler is rated for 1200 talking with John at Hellion.

Ted.
Old 07-26-2018, 03:10 PM   #38
Sixgunsled

Quote:
Swapping a cam is no big deal and is a key player I can help you with that.

The intercooler is rated for 1200 talking with John at Hellion.

Ted.
I have no doubt the intercooler can handle 1200 hp but they have not done any testing on a built motor what so ever with the twin turbo setup on a camaro, only on a mustang. I'm sure it can do 1200 hp on a dyno but again we run into the issue of the intake air temps in the 1/4 mile, meth being most people's solution, which I really dont want to do. I called hellion and they do offer an air to water intercooler for their kit it just isn't on their site. Its a $1,300 upgrade. Which is a lot of money but not any more costly than a procharger air to water upgrade. I wonder if the air to water intercooler on the hellion kit with port injection and e85 would be enough to keep IAT's in check enough to not pull timing.... Only way I'll know is if I go for it i think.
15" conversion
Port injection

Old 07-26-2018, 05:11 PM   #39
ShizzySupra

Drives: 16' Camaro 2SS
Not to jump in and be rude but I dont think you have done a lot of research. Cordes Performance did 1100 whp through an auto with the hellion kit...

Quote:
I have no doubt the intercooler can handle 1200 hp but they have not done any testing on a built motor what so ever with the twin turbo setup on a camaro, only on a mustang. I'm sure it can do 1200 hp on a dyno but again we run into the issue of the intake air temps in the 1/4 mile, meth being most people's solution, which I really dont want to do. I called hellion and they do offer an air to water intercooler for their kit it just isn't on their site. Its a $1,300 upgrade. Which is a lot of money but not any more costly than a procharger air to water upgrade. I wonder if the air to water intercooler on the hellion kit with port injection and e85 would be enough to keep IAT's in check enough to not pull timing.... Only way I'll know is if I go for it i think.
ShizzySupra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 05:32 PM   #40
Sixgunsled

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShizzySupra View Post
Not to jump in and be rude but I dont think you have done a lot of research. Cordes Performance did 1100 whp through an auto with the hellion kit...
I'm not trying to sound rude either but you missed my whole point. Yes they hit 1100 whp on a DYNO. Did they run the car down the 1/4 mile track and test it on multiple runs to see if the car can handle 1100 whp without the computer pulling timing because of IAT's? Nope.
15" conversion
Port injection

Old 07-26-2018, 10:36 PM   #41
ShizzySupra

Drives: 16' Camaro 2SS
No 1/4 runs but Joe tested it out on the streets in Arizona weather and it did fine... “Yup”

Quote:
I'm not trying to sound rude either but you missed my whole point. Yes they hit 1100 whp on a DYNO. Did they run the car down the 1/4 mile track and test it on multiple runs to see if the car can handle 1100 whp without the computer pulling timing because of IAT's? Nope.
ShizzySupra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 08:37 AM   #42
RDBURNR

Drives: 2016 Camarro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShizzySupra View Post
No 1/4 runs but Joe tested it out on the streets in Arizona weather and it did fine... “Yup”
July in Arizona, 100 degrees plus and humid Monsoon Air.....not a friend to power production!
Stage 2 Intercooler w/ Race BOV
ZL1 Fuel Upgrade
LT4 Injectors
Fuel Voltage Booster
AEM Boost and AFR Gauges
Dynatech 1 7/8th Headers
JRE Tuning
RDBURNR is offline   Reply With Quote