#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

Phastek Performance

Old 01-14-2017, 03:37 PM   #1
Nate...

Drives: 2016 Camaro LTG
Rear Brake differences between LT and SS

Hi everyone,

Today I removed the brakes from the rear of my 2016 LT Camaro in hopes of putting some rear SS Brembo "take offs" on. I figured I would share my findings so that others can be better informed.

Good news:
It seems that the knuckles will allow a caliper swap.So this is good news. Also it seems that there shouldnt be any issues with the hub and the rotors.
*That is literally the extent of the good news, haha*

Not-so-good news:
The hub (the axles nut) will need to come off to remove the dust shield. This is a big deal! Not a painless job. Anyone considering this in the future I would recommend just trimming back the dust shield and not swapping it to the SS piece.
The parking brake.... This is the big one... The parking brake between the SS and LT are completely different systems. The LT has an actuator on the caliper and more importantly the chassis wiring harness runs right to each caliper with a connection for that actuator, so there a 2 total, one for each rear brake caliper. The SS has one centrally located actuator on the rear subframe that pulls traditional cable and shoe style parking brakes. The calipers are not used for the parking brake. Again most importantly, the chassis wiring harness has a unique connector that runs to this centrally located actuator. Absolutely not compatible with the LT parking brake system.
I believe that the hardware should still be able to bolt on to the rear knuckle and hub, but because of the lost functionality of the parking brake I did not continue this experiment to test that for sure.

I am now assuming that this explains why all of the GMPP brake kits are front only components. Haha

Anyway, it was a frustrating morning and hopefully this quick post will save others from frustration in the future.
Old 01-14-2017, 03:41 PM   #2
Nate...

Pics for reference
Attached Images

Old 01-14-2017, 03:46 PM   #3
PolynesianPowerhouse
Big Samoan ina little car

Drives: 2016 camaro
I figured this would happen. looking into upgrading my fronts ONLY due to this... On the 5th gens, when you upgraded the rear brakes, most opted to use Tin Snips to cut the edge of the brake dust shield to allow fitment on the larger rotor.

I figured on this car, the 6th gen, it would be the same ordeal. turns out from your findings....it is. Bittersweet cause you got it done

Cool finding about the parking brake as well. electronic PB, something had to differ between the two caliper styles

Appreciate the post, cause now its confirmed

When I see posts asking "whats the best intake, exhaust, etc" .... the answer to that is like a grandfather telling his grandkids "if you put salt on a birds tail, it'll let you catch it" #ThinkAboutIt

"Winning Tip: Don't take my (or anyone else's) word for it. GO TEST IT!" - Dennis Grant
PolynesianPowerhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2017, 03:50 PM   #4
Nate...

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolynesianPowerhouse View Post
I figured this would happen. looking into upgrading my fronts ONLY due to this... On the 5th gens, when you upgraded the rear brakes, most opted to use Tin Snips to cut the edge of the brake dust shield to allow fitment on the larger rotor.

I figured on this car, the 6th gen, it would be the same ordeal. turns out from your findings....it is. Bittersweet cause you got it done

Appreciate the post, cause now its confirmed
Your welcome!
Attached Images

Old 01-14-2017, 04:09 PM   #5
PolynesianPowerhouse
Big Samoan ina little car

Drives: 2016 camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate... View Post
Your welcome!
Haaaaaa! love it!

and I was wondering what that black plastic gimmick was attached to the rotors. figured it had to do something with the e-brake or abs.

When I see posts asking "whats the best intake, exhaust, etc" .... the answer to that is like a grandfather telling his grandkids "if you put salt on a birds tail, it'll let you catch it" #ThinkAboutIt

"Winning Tip: Don't take my (or anyone else's) word for it. GO TEST IT!" - Dennis Grant
PolynesianPowerhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2017, 11:56 PM   #6
Camar05

Drives: NGM '16 2LT A8
Awesome! Appreciate you posting your finding! I was just about to do the same swap, only thing holding me back was that I haven't had time to disassemble my Brembos for powder coating. I will have to take a look and see if the swap is possible
Camar05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 06:02 PM   #7
HyperBlue16

Drives: 2016 Camaro RS
Put kinda of an update on Nate...'s post from what i'm looking at for more details if you need it or others to convert with parking brakes.

Differences so far.
Backing plate : because of the drum parking brake system. Changing it is not as hard, but next issues negates changing it, as it would be useless on standard LT knuckle.
Knuckle: the SS appears to have a 1in hole for the brake cable to mount & to go thru the knuckle, which the LT does not have. Best to pick-up a used SS knuckle with backing plate and swap out completely when you get other parts needed or buy them new.
Rear sub-frame: It does not have the 2 mounting tabs to secure the 2 parking brake cables for each side. Could make a bracket spaced the distance needed and mount to sub-frame.
Brake Hoses: Different types for the different calipers according to part numbers between LT & SS Rears.

Wiring which i'm still looking at closer tomorrow, because i need to remove the wheel-well cover to get better view(which i need to modify for tires anyways).
But from what i roughly see so far:

LT: wires from each parking brake actuator on the calipers run to a harness and the anti-locks tie in and they run to a single connector at the left rear corner of the car(4 power wires, 4 little anti-lock wires).

SS: the anti-lock sensor wires run into the wire harness that also is a connection for the parking brake cable assembly mounted to the sub-frame. From there is runs to the car harness with 2 connectors to the same left side of the car. One connector appears to be 2 power wires for the cable module and 4 anti-lock wires(same connector/setup just like the LT, but minus 1 set of power wires) and other connector has 9 wires from the parking brake cable assembly(for what the computer maybe uses to tell if it is not adjusted? maybe? I don't know at this time), since it is a separate of the calipers(where the LT is using the disk pads and will always press in completely on the rotor & may not require all the extra wires to detect it functioning).

Again, i have no wiring diagram to compare yet. Going to look into it tomorrow.

Hopefully i can find way to just use the one to connect to the LT harness( leaving the other unhooked if possible).

If anyone has a wiring diagram of the SS parking brake module it would help, i will keep searching online to see if i can find one.

Last edited by HyperBlue16; 02-11-2017 at 09:38 PM.
HyperBlue16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 01:27 AM   #8
Nate...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperBlue16 View Post
Put kinda of an update on Nate...'s post from what i'm looking at for more details if you need it or others to convert with parking ...
Awesome!
Old 02-12-2017, 10:49 AM   #9
HyperBlue16

Ok, as of now since i still can't find more info on both SS & LT EPB systems beyond the rear sub-frame, it looks like the electrical system are not inter-changeable after looking it over(but could be wrong).

So if you install everything just to have it for future integration, you would have to create your own wiring and switch as of now, separate of the in car one to engage and dis-engage parking brakes.

Also, by putting on the Brembo's still to use, if you disconnect the factory EPB actuators from the wiring harness, it could possibly create a parking brake need serviced light(?), if the computer checks from a connection and doesn't find one.
Only thing i can think of, would be to see how to unhook from the back of the caliper and try to make something to mount them too and attach it to the sub-frame, so it maintains a connection?

But that is where i am at without more in-depth details of the 2 EPB systems and their wiring.

I'm probably going to go ahead with my install in a few weeks maybe since i have the parts. At same time try to see how the cable actuator is controlled and maybe fabricate a bracket to hold the original caliper one and if possible have when it activates, it hits a micro switch or pressure switch to activate the SS cable actuator if possible.
Old 02-15-2017, 01:25 PM   #10
AlphaCamaro7

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS, NPP, A8, FBO, E85
Is it maybe possible to add the front brakes to the rear? I was thinking of adding my brakes from my front that I took off cause I upgraded to 4 pistons.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-15-2017, 10:15 PM   #11
HyperBlue16

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaCamaro7 View Post
Is it maybe possible to add the front brakes to the rear? I was thinking of adding my brakes from my front that I took off cause I upgraded to 4 pistons.

No, because a lot of the issues are that the rear brakes are also the electronic parking brake for the LT/RS models.
Old 02-16-2017, 09:32 AM   #12
Rsblueblood
Kywildcats

Drives: 2020 2SS shock and steel (shocker)
Thanks Hyperblue and Nick finding this out. So brembos on the front then just paint the rear calipers, that's going to look odd.
Rsblueblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 09:38 AM   #13
AlphaCamaro7

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS, NPP, A8, FBO, E85
TBH I know this might be cheesy but I was thinking about adding these look alike Brembo covers on the back to compliment my front brembos. Painting the rear stock brakes would not look too good. Only problem I have is won't these covers melt off or ruin the brakes? But we don't even use our rear brakes to brake because the rear are just parking brakes. Could use some opinion on these

Old 02-16-2017, 03:34 PM   #14
Rsblueblood
Kywildcats

Drives: 2020 2SS shock and steel (shocker)
Alpha I agree most of youre,stopping power is from you're front breaks but you're rear breaks do help out I think it's like 20% can't remember. The research I did on the break covers is that they hold the heat in and could warp the rotor, now but I also read that this is not so. If I'm not mistaken that the v6 1le has the SS rear suspension in it so if this is true I know where two wreaked SS are maybe I'll check into them.
Rsblueblood is offline   Reply With Quote