Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Transmissions

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 01-02-2019, 02:39 PM   #1
DatBrotato

Drives: '18 SS 1LE M6
1LE Clutch & TR6060 Limits

I plan on going with a D1X soon, and I know the stock clutch won't last at that kind of power (750-800rwhp). I will probably swap it the same time I do the procharger.
What's the most cost effective option here while maintaining a close to stock feel? I DO NOT want to deal with a twin/triple disc if they're noisy. I used to have a car with an Exedy triple disc and it was god awful to listen to. Like marbles in a blender when you pushed it in. Everyone thought the car was broken, other than those who knew better..
LT4 clutch is looking like the best option here, though I know those aren't designed for that much power either..

As for the trans...I'm not sure what the TR6060 can take. But if it's identical to what's in the ZL1, Z06, GT500, Viper, etc.. then I won't touch it.

Keep in mind I never launch the car(drivetrain parts aren't cheap). 95% of the time i'm doing rolls. Whenever i'm at the strip I baby it out of the hole.
Old 01-02-2019, 11:19 PM   #2
2SSAustin

Drives: 1LE 2SS Camaro
I am curious aswell. I think awhile back I read on GM Performance page it says the TR60600 can hold 500-500Ft-lb of torque. Ill try and find it again. As for the clutch I haven't really found much about it other than some people say its garbage yet others say they beat on it and no problems yet.

https://www.chevrolet.com/performanc...issions/tr6060
This is what I found. I know there are different variations of the TR6060 (One above says its rated for 420Ft-lb of Torque and the link below says 551Ft-lb of Torque)
https://www.chevrolet.com/performanc...ons/mg9-tr6060
2SSAustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 08:24 AM   #3
DatBrotato

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2SSAustin View Post
I am curious aswell. I think awhile back I read on GM Performance page it says the TR60600 can hold 500-500Ft-lb of torque. Ill try and find it again. As for the clutch I haven't really found much about it other than some people say its garbage yet others say they beat on it and no problems yet.

https://www.chevrolet.com/performanc...issions/tr6060
This is what I found. I know there are different variations of the TR6060 (One above says its rated for 420Ft-lb of Torque and the link below says 551Ft-lb of Torque)
https://www.chevrolet.com/performanc...ons/mg9-tr6060
That number conveniently makes sense, seeing as how the Zl1 produces torque numbers in that ballpark. Although I highly doubt that's all it can safely handle.

As for the clutch. I know there's brands like Mantic & Centerforce. But I'm not familiar with how streetable these clutches are. And I'd rather not drop 3k for a clutch + install if the LT4 unit can handle some abuse.
Old 01-03-2019, 08:35 AM   #4
MP3BOOSTED

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS 1LE (F1A-94 FBO H/C)
i need in on this as well, i'm going boosted very soon once i get these questions answered.
Performance Mods: F1A-94, DSX Flex Fuel Kit, MSD Spark Plug Wires, KOOK 2" off road headers, MBRP Race catback exhaust, Pray Performance Custom Boost Cam, Rocker Arm Trunion Upgrade Kit, 7.850" Hardened Chromemoly Length Pushrods and Johnson Racing 2110R Lifters, TSP CNC'd Heads, Ported MSD intake manifold, 103mm Katech Throttle body, Forged Pistons/Rods, RPM Meth kit, DSX Aux Fuel system, AEM Failsafe and banks gauge, LT4 HPFP, LT4 injectors, BMR motor mounts, Hurst Short Throw, Manley SS exhaust valves

Videos of my car? Check here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNi...Qy1OL4NVGlPogw
MP3BOOSTED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 09:17 AM   #5
Sixgunsled

Drives: 2017 camaro SS 1LE
man I was dumping the clutch at 3800 rpm with a D1SC procharger on race gas making 650whp. I raced the crap out of the car, tons of passes and never broke anything. Not sure if I was just lucky or what. Once I decided to swap to an automatic trans and pulled the TR6060 and clutch out the clutch looked perfectly fine. Oh and I forgot to mention I was on 15' wheels with sticky tires too, however they were bias ply to help drivetrain shock.
15" conversion
Port injection

22K+ followers on Instagram @Sixgunsled
6.4K subscribers YouTube: Sixgunsled
Sixgunsled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 10:13 AM   #6
DatBrotato

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sixgunsled View Post
man I was dumping the clutch at 3800 rpm with a D1SC procharger on race gas making 650whp. I raced the crap out of the car, tons of passes and never broke anything. Not sure if I was just lucky or what. Once I decided to swap to an automatic trans and pulled the TR6060 and clutch out the clutch looked perfectly fine. Oh and I forgot to mention I was on 15' wheels with sticky tires too, however they were bias ply to help drivetrain shock.
Yeh bias ply is def the key here, the extra sidewall + flexibility makes a huge difference. Sadly I can't fit an 28" tire on an 18" rim in my fender
Old 01-03-2019, 10:14 AM   #7
MP3BOOSTED

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS 1LE (F1A-94 FBO H/C)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DatBrotato View Post
Yeh bias ply is def the key here, the extra sidewall + flexibility makes a huge difference. Sadly I can't fit an 28" tire on an 18" rim in my fender
if you have a 1le you can. i am
Performance Mods: F1A-94, DSX Flex Fuel Kit, MSD Spark Plug Wires, KOOK 2" off road headers, MBRP Race catback exhaust, Pray Performance Custom Boost Cam, Rocker Arm Trunion Upgrade Kit, 7.850" Hardened Chromemoly Length Pushrods and Johnson Racing 2110R Lifters, TSP CNC'd Heads, Ported MSD intake manifold, 103mm Katech Throttle body, Forged Pistons/Rods, RPM Meth kit, DSX Aux Fuel system, AEM Failsafe and banks gauge, LT4 HPFP, LT4 injectors, BMR motor mounts, Hurst Short Throw, Manley SS exhaust valves

Videos of my car? Check here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNi...Qy1OL4NVGlPogw
MP3BOOSTED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 11:20 AM   #8
G2K
@Blackmamba_1LE

Drives: 2017 1LE
All i can do is talk based on experience near me and my car.

I made 490wtq and over 37K miles TONS AND TONS of roll pulls..
3 dates at the drag strip on 17" drag radials doing 1.5-1.7 60ft launches ABSOLUTELY no issues on my M6....

Also a close friend has around 30K~ miles on his 1K+ HP / 850+tq car and complete drive train is stock... His isnt even a 1LE!!! However he DOESN'T do digs, only roll racing... I honestly this these TR6060 are way under rated.

I also read somewhere our TR's and the ZL1's TR is exactly the same.... And I've already seen a few local 800-1K hp ZL'1 claiming stock clutch.. I say claiming because I dont know the owners, just met them at mexico nights.

Back to my friend he is now upgrading to a clutch just because. Not because anything is actually wrong.

**adding: Clutch and trans are rated by TQ not by HP... Since you're going procharged.... you may be at 800HP but dont expect TQ to be anywhere near like you would on a PD blower.

From all info i've read If your taking out the engine and have the extra 2K a good clutch kit would cost... might as well go ahead and do it... and your good once the boost bug gets you and eventually go bigger blower... Necessity? I honestly dont believe so, but thats just me and 1 1/2 years of reading, watching, following every build on the forums, youtube, local FB groups and local mexico scene i can find.

Last edited by G2K; 01-07-2019 at 11:25 AM. Reason: adding comment
G2K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 01:15 PM   #9
DatBrotato

Quote:
Originally Posted by G2K View Post
All i can do is talk based on experience near me and my car.

I made 490wtq and over 37K miles TONS AND TONS of roll pulls..
3 dates at the drag strip on 17" drag radials doing 1.5-1.7 60ft launches ABSOLUTELY no issues on my M6....

Also a close friend has around 30K~ miles on his 1K+ HP / 850+tq car and complete drive train is stock... His isnt even a 1LE!!! However he DOESN'T do digs, only roll racing... I honestly this these TR6060 are way under rated.

I also read somewhere our TR's and the ZL1's TR is exactly the same.... And I've already seen a few local 800-1K hp ZL'1 claiming stock clutch.. I say claiming because I dont know the owners, just met them at mexico nights.

Back to my friend he is now upgrading to a clutch just because. Not because anything is actually wrong.

**adding: Clutch and trans are rated by TQ not by HP... Since you're going procharged.... you may be at 800HP but dont expect TQ to be anywhere near like you would on a PD blower.

From all info i've read If your taking out the engine and have the extra 2K a good clutch kit would cost... might as well go ahead and do it... and your good once the boost bug gets you and eventually go bigger blower... Necessity? I honestly dont believe so, but thats just me and 1 1/2 years of reading, watching, following every build on the forums, youtube, local FB groups and local mexico scene i can find.
That's pretty informative, thanks.

Yeh, I bet the centrifugal blower will be much kinder on the drivetrain than a PD blower.
Based on that, and the fact that I'll be doing roll pulls almost exclusively, I'll probably stick with the stock clutch for atleast 5k miles and see what happens. If anything my experience will be informative for others.

I also think our trans is very underrated. I don't know of any drivetrain that comes with a TR6060 that hasn't been able to handle alot of power.
Old 01-19-2019, 01:43 AM   #10
oldman

Drives: SS 6 speed of course
the Zl1 trans has a taller 1st gear and this gives it more bite on the countershaft, so the torque rating of its TR is higher, so the SS shares the same case and design, but the weakest part of any manual is the first gear ratio (because the shaft distance is fixed center to center).
Forged short block, large duration sub .600 lift Cam Motion cam, 7200 RPM fuel cut, Pray Ported Heads, 3.85 pulley D1X, stage II intercooler, DSX secondary low side, DSX E85 sensor, Lingenfelter big bore 2.0 pump, ported front cats, 60608 Borla, LT4 injectors, ZL1 1LE driveshaft and Katech ported TB, ported MSD intake, BTR valvetrain, ARP studs, ProFlow valves, PS4 tires.
oldman is offline   Reply With Quote