#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 03-02-2018, 04:50 PM   #15
IneedAZ

Drives: 2017 ZL1 A10 & 2021 BMW M340i x Dr
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow6thGen View Post
My gains were 40rwhp 33tq with 1 7/8” Kooks HF Cats and Stock NPP and RotoFab. Tuner got a little more but since E85 and lower pully change are coming we didn’t stress getting more at this stage. I’m hoping to get the pulley kit and get everything installed this month.
Are u saying the gains were without any tuning?

Sold 1967 Camaro Pro Street. Ran 10's mild BB on NOS.

2017 HyperBlue ZL1 A10 ** Born 3/17/17**Delivered 4/08/17
2020 Build: Mag2650, BTR Stage2, NW103, BG, 14% lower, 90mm upper, ARH 2" Long system w/no cats, SW Legend mufflers. **807hp/762tq on 93 gas** and **848hp/792tq on e47**

Sold 2018 (Go Mango) Dodge Charger Daytona 392 Daily Driver

Daily Driver 2021 BMW M340i Xdrive
IneedAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 10:59 AM   #16
drfeelgood

Drives: 2017 ZL1 Convertible A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by WEAPON-X View Post
Sorry wrapping up that Forgeline giveaway tax return sales campaign, it's been nuts the last couple weeks and the guys have been on the phone non-stop.

Yes our intake
ATI 15% or IW/9.1" lower or a 2.175" upper
Kooks w green cats so they don't smell you comin'
After pricing it all out, I think, for my needs, gonna just go with a 2.3" griptec upper and call it a day. Will purchase from you all today. Changing the lower is gonna be a total of $3-4k worth of pulley + Headers + green cats and labor. Upper is just gonna be labor and pulley cost.
'17 White ZL1 A10 Convertible - TM ported TB - RotoFab CAI - 2.3" griptech upper pulley - Kooks 1 7/8" Headers with High Flow Cats - Borla S-type Catback - Audio Overhaul - NavTV M650-GM - 20" BlackDiForza- Michelin Pilot Sport4S - Tuned at BRC Raceworks (606rwhp/675trq)

'14 CTS-V Coupe - ZL1 lid - Ported TB - Ported Snout - AirRad CAI - 8.66" lower - 2.55" upper- Greenbelt - SW Headers - SW Catback - Varimax Intercooler Pump - Track Attack Intercooler-Tuned at BRC Raceworks (551rwhp/516trq)

'17 Maserati Levante- STOCK
drfeelgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 09:52 AM   #17
Deadmau5

Drives: 2015 procharged mustang gt
So what's the difference in power gains or stress when comparing 9% upper vs 15% upper

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Deadmau5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 10:29 AM   #18
Can'tHave2MuchHP

Drives: Fast
I don't know how it could have changed that much with the ZL1's LT4, even with the ZL1's supposed better cooling. Because on the C7 Z06 side, we don't pulley past 9% on stock Manifolds/Cats OR on stock cooling. Going to 15% on stock cooling, even with headers, results in a car that pulls timing after a pull or two in any kind of summer heat. Look up some more information. These cars aren't as friendly to pulleys as LSAs, LS9s, Hellcat engines, and GT500 engines. You have to work around heat and pressure more.

I would recommend:
Intake
9% Pulley or less
Tune

Or
Intake
15% pulley
Headers
Coolant expansion tank
180* Thermostat
TR7IX plugs and heat sleeves
Meth or E is REALLY preferable at this point
And if it's in your budget, any other cooling mods you can throw at it

You're going to be running up against a wall on 93 REALLY quick, most on the C7 Z06 side would tell you not to run 15% on 93 only as you'll pull so much timing it won't even be funny.

I wouldn't go past a 15% pulley on these cars without a Cam/Heads and running it on Meth or E.

So to sum things up, stick with a 2.3 pulley, intake, and supporting parts, and preferably add a set of Ceramic Coated headers to help with temps and pressure as much as you can.
Can'tHave2MuchHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 11:43 AM   #19
drfeelgood

Drives: 2017 ZL1 Convertible A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Can'tHave2MuchHP View Post
I don't know how it could have changed that much with the ZL1's LT4, even with the ZL1's supposed better cooling. Because on the C7 Z06 side, we don't pulley past 9% on stock Manifolds/Cats OR on stock cooling. Going to 15% on stock cooling, even with headers, results in a car that pulls timing after a pull or two in any kind of summer heat. Look up some more information. These cars aren't as friendly to pulleys as LSAs, LS9s, Hellcat engines, and GT500 engines. You have to work around heat and pressure more.

I would recommend:
Intake
9% Pulley or less
Tune

Or
Intake
15% pulley
Headers
Coolant expansion tank
180* Thermostat

You're going to be running up against a wall on 93 REALLY quick, most on the C7 Z06 side would tell you not to run 15% on 93 only as you'll pull so much timing it won't even be funny.

I wouldn't go past a 15% pulley on these cars without a Cam/Heads and running it on Meth or E.

So to sum things up, stick with a 2.3 pulley, intake, and supporting parts, and preferably add a set of Ceramic Coated headers to help with temps and pressure as much as you can.
Not sure who you were responding to, but you basically answered all of my questions , and I think I am going to do exactly what you mentioned, 2.3” only ... you are spot on regarding the LSA, my CTS-V responsed well with upper and lower pulley upgrades , as seen in my sig. in any case, Thanks again
'17 White ZL1 A10 Convertible - TM ported TB - RotoFab CAI - 2.3" griptech upper pulley - Kooks 1 7/8" Headers with High Flow Cats - Borla S-type Catback - Audio Overhaul - NavTV M650-GM - 20" BlackDiForza- Michelin Pilot Sport4S - Tuned at BRC Raceworks (606rwhp/675trq)

'14 CTS-V Coupe - ZL1 lid - Ported TB - Ported Snout - AirRad CAI - 8.66" lower - 2.55" upper- Greenbelt - SW Headers - SW Catback - Varimax Intercooler Pump - Track Attack Intercooler-Tuned at BRC Raceworks (551rwhp/516trq)

'17 Maserati Levante- STOCK
drfeelgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 03:26 AM   #20
GunMetalGrey

Drives: Track prepped 2018 Camaro ZL1 (a10)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Can'tHave2MuchHP View Post

I would recommend:
Intake
9% Pulley or less
Tune

Or
Intake
15% pulley
Headers
Coolant expansion tank
180* Thermostat

Curious, approximately how much HP would I expect to add with a 9% pulley, an intake and a 94 octane tune?
Old 06-21-2018, 06:17 AM   #21
Markoz28

Drives: 18 ZL1 nightfall grey A10
^if like to know this as well.
Markoz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 07:40 AM   #22
7LitreC5

Drives: 18 Tahoe RST, 19 Z06
I am also interested in what the different % overdrive produce in additional power.

I live at high altitude (7535 ft at home and over 6000 most everywhere I drive) and would like to put back some of the power loss from the altitude. I ran a half mile event this past weekend. The density altitude was 8900 on my first run and 9250 on my last run.

I am really trying to decide whether to change pulleys or just do a bigger blower. I have no plans on going into the engine and won't run headers.
7LitreC5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 09:20 AM   #23
Boost or bust

Drives: 2018 ZL1 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by WEAPON-X View Post
With modding responsibly, knowledge is power and we're only as good as the what we share. So, below is an LT4 pulley combo chart for you guys to peruse for some general info. We've done an insane amount of these across all platforms and our LSA chart helped a lot of people over the years, so I put this together a couple of weeks ago too:

https://weaponxmotorsports.com/blogs...ng-mods-needed

This will help you guys when you're planning/modding to help you figure out what you need at what levels. Granted all of this depends on a wide variety of things from plans of use for the car like street, strip, and/or track to where you are, ie temps, atmosphere, climate changes etc. Less air restriction such as free flowing intake, headers, exhaust, porting etc all drastically help reduce heat by increasing the ease of the blower and airflow in and out of the engine. Your cam profile will also affect the air movement!

Keep in mind, this is not an end all be all, as a lot of factors come into play and the recommendation in each cell is to be considered at a minimum, so if you upgraded something that might say OEM or No, it's OK as long as you're on the side of over modding and not under modding, as it can still help, but I'm just trying to make sure you guys are getting the most out of your upgrades and not running on the ragged edge of fueling, which will lead to detonation and potential piston ring failures, or worse. preventative heat mods such as heat exchangers, tanks, pumps etc can't be done too early really. Stock C7 Z06s, ZL1s, and CTS V's pull timing on pull 2 and pull 3 on the dyno due to increased heat. Even stock LT4 powered vehicles can benefit from some of these mods, but they really become a necessity as you push the blower. Even as you add more blower RPM, you have to add other parts to reduce restrictions and protect your motor. So, feel free to get a hold of us and we'll help point you in the right direction for your planned end game.

You can see the effective blower ratio in the 1st column, the % of increase over stock in the 2nd column, the RPM of the blower vs. the engine RPM in the 3rd column, the upper pulley choice in the 4th, lower pulley in the 5th, the car model as not all are available, whether the snout needs milled to clear the smaller upper pulley in column 6, whether the cats need omitted in column 7, and the estimated boost with proper mods in column 8.

Scrolling down to the next section, columns 1-3 are the blower ratio (lower divided by upper pulley) plus the percent increase, and blower RPM at 6,700 engine RPM, column 4 shows if the factory fuel system can support this on pump gas (not E85), if a higher octane is needed in column 5, if you need to do one of our heat exchanger upgrades in column 6, heat exchanger pump upgrade in column 7, and lastly a heat exchanger tank in column 8.

Questions or to put in a custom order, call 513-662-4000 or email sales@weapon-x.com

The upper pulley we can go all the way to a 15% increase aka 2.175", but the snout needs machined with anything less than a 9% aka 2.3" upper. We offer the snout machining, porting, and pressing a pulley on and can ship back. Our Griptec pulleys eliminate the static slip that occurs when the crank taxes the upper pulley, so "the lower is always better" thought process is gone.

https://weaponxmotorsports.com/produ...-zl1-gen-6-lt4

Doing the lower, you can actually go up much further with over-driving the supercharger, but anything over a 15% really needs headers anyway to get rid of the restrictive cats which hold in heat. You can run up to a 25% lower with heads/cam/headers etc for that high 700whp range though.

IW lower kit goes up to 31% lower:
https://weaponxmotorsports.com/produ...-zl1-gen-6-lt4

ATI lower kit goes up to a 25% lower:
https://weaponxmotorsports.com/produ...ts-v-gen-3-lt4

Belt choices for various combos:
https://weaponxmotorsports.com/produ...ts-v-gen-3-lt4

Sorry to quickly change subject but whatever happened to the boost freeze chiller we have all been waiting on ?
Boost or bust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 02:52 AM   #24
GunMetalGrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markoz28 View Post
^if like to know this as well.
Weapon X pm’d and said it would get the car to around 630 whp with 9% pulley and intake, and in another thread Jannetty Racing said adding 75 RWHP is possible on 91 octane with his street package (which I'm not sure includes LT Headers) and 100 whp with 93 Octane and LT Headers

Vengence only got to 646 whp with those same mods plus LT Headers but maybe the dyno numbers started low.

Of note, Jannetty racing also didn’t think it was a very good value or bang for the buck to only do 9% pulley when you can do 15% pulley and LT headers instead.

Parts will cost around $3,800 depending on the Headers it seems.

Last edited by GunMetalGrey; 06-25-2018 at 04:22 PM. Reason: Added more info
GunMetalGrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 05:32 AM   #25
Blackdevil77

Drives: 2008 Pontiac G8 GT, Shelby GT500
Any adverse effects of a pulley change like heat soak? Isn't the tiny blower already maxed out from factory?
Blackdevil77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 09:51 AM   #26
Markoz28

Drives: 18 ZL1 nightfall grey A10
So after doing some research and window shopping this is what I’m thinking.

Porter blower
2.20 upper pulley (looks to be just under 14%)
Kooks LTH with off road pipes (no cats)

Ok so now some questions:
Is the ported blower worth it without the 103 TB? (I have the TM TB right now).
Will the 2.20 pulley still produce too much heat that cooling mods will be necessary?
Will there be a need for any ignition upgrades (plugs/wires) if so which ones?

Prices:
Ported blower and snout with 2.20 griptec pulley by weapon X $1400.
Kooks LTH ceramic coated with off road pipes and no cats $1400.
Tuning (I’m just guessing here $1000)

$3800 give or take not including labor.

I’m guess/hoping 80-100 RWHP.
Markoz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 04:24 PM   #27
GunMetalGrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackdevil77 View Post
Any adverse effects of a pulley change like heat soak? Isn't the tiny blower already maxed out from factory?
Jannetty Racing said not to worry about the heating when doing 15% pulley,said the cooling is amazing on the ZL1 and it doesn't need help from after market part, but that may have been specific to m climate, summer here only get to 85 degrees once and a while, mostly 75 degree
Old 06-25-2018, 04:25 PM   #28
GunMetalGrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markoz28 View Post
So after doing some research and window shopping this is what I’m thinking.

Porter blower
2.20 upper pulley (looks to be just under 14%)
Kooks LTH with off road pipes (no cats)

Ok so now some questions:
Is the ported blower worth it without the 103 TB? (I have the TM TB right now).
Will the 2.20 pulley still produce too much heat that cooling mods will be necessary?
Will there be a need for any ignition upgrades (plugs/wires) if so which ones?

Prices:
Ported blower and snout with 2.20 griptec pulley by weapon X $1400.
Kooks LTH ceramic coated with off road pipes and no cats $1400.
Tuning (I’m just guessing here $1000)

$3800 give or take not including labor.

I’m guess/hoping 80-100 RWHP.

I got similar quotes for price and estimates on hp gain

Tags
kit, lower, pulley upgrade, recommendation, upper