Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Dragstrip and Launching Discussion

Bigwormgraphix

Old 06-21-2018, 03:41 PM   #29
danhr
BAMF SS

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1SS A8
Send a message via AIM to danhr
They are a straight drag racing wheel. They dont have the strength to go through corners at 70 mph on the highway, or take the pounding of pot holes. You will probably crack the barrel on the wheel if you drive it on the street in a daily basis.

Some things say "not for street use" for legality purposes... like off road connection pipes. Drag racing wheels are not the case.

You might get lucky and they might hold up.... but if you dont.... weld wont warranty them

Stock Longblock

800 SAE rwhp. 9.4 @ 145 mph.
danhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 03:43 PM   #30
Black Hole

Drives: 2017 2SS Redline
Well, thanks for saving me. Shame - those wheels look amazing.
Black Hole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 03:52 PM   #31
ULTRAZLS1

Drives: 14 Silverado LTZ Z71, 16 Camaro SS
I thought the stock wheels/tires are about 27.5 but not positive

Some of the drag wheels are not for street use because they are built so light and or thin. They are not structurally strong enough to handle potholes or very rough roads with sufficient reliability.

There’s a very good chance you will ruin a drag only wheel if you drive it on the street. And I personally would not take that chance at over a grand per wheel. The roads in Michigan no way in hell I would try it

Still plenty of light street strip options and they aren’t nearly as pricey. I’m looking at the billet specialty win lite. A 15x4 is 10 lbs and a 15x10 is 14 lbs. still plenty light and you can daily them. Around 350-450 per wheel depending on size if they are 15s. 17s are 550 range
ULTRAZLS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 04:07 PM   #32
driven2exceSS

Drives: 2016 2SS BLK A8 Vert
Guys his tuner is not the only one frowning on E85 conversions. I had a local tuner that I thought was main stream and progressive tell me "he does not offer flex fuel tuning". He stated that "he felt that E85 was corrosive and doesn't like to sit. Gums up fuel systems too quick" I told him I wouldn't be leaving it in long durations, and would only run it when going to the tracks (drag/road course) in quantities only needed for each event. Otherwise will be right back on pump 93. Needless to say I am, and was not, impressed. I've yet to install my DSX Kit, but I most certainly will be very soon!!! And, if I can get the help technologically, I may very well be looking to PRAY (re-enlist) once again to go the remote tune route. IDK
NPP, MRC, Tinted side & rear reflectors, OEM ZL1 Rockers / 3rd Brake / Darken tail lights, OEM Blk rear splash guards, Satin hood wrap, Fuse pull, Sound tube delete, Cat delete, Ported 95 TB, Ported MSD IM, Dry RotoFab, ARH 1 7/8 headers, E85, "Performance Dyno" Tune, BMR "pieces", "Track" alignment, Hawk DCT-70/70's w/SRF, Goodridge lines, Ti shims, Red powdered calipers, 18" APEX SM-10's w/ Pirelli DH's, FE4 Vert swaybars, Brake cooling ducts, ATI 10% UD, Vorshlag camber plates, OEM 1LE Splitter w/APR Ext., Velossa BIG MOUTH Ram Air, CF QA1, ZLE brakes(F)
driven2exceSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 04:35 PM   #33
ULTRAZLS1

The corrosive problem applies to older vehicles before the flex era. Long story short the fuel systems in those older vehicles will be corroded by the e85. the Camaro is not one of those vehicles.
Old 06-21-2018, 04:48 PM   #34
danhr
BAMF SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by driven2exceSS View Post
Guys his tuner is not the only one frowning on E85 conversions. I had a local tuner that I thought was main stream and progressive tell me "he does not offer flex fuel tuning". He stated that "he felt that E85 was corrosive and doesn't like to sit. Gums up fuel systems too quick" I told him I wouldn't be leaving it in long durations, and would only run it when going to the tracks (drag/road course) in quantities only needed for each event. Otherwise will be right back on pump 93. Needless to say I am, and was not, impressed. I've yet to install my DSX Kit, but I most certainly will be very soon!!! And, if I can get the help technologically, I may very well be looking to PRAY (re-enlist) once again to go the remote tune route. IDK
That is extremely surprising... especially considering your local tuner (you are correct, he is VERY mainstream).

Stock Longblock

Old 06-21-2018, 09:56 PM   #35
parish8

Drives: 17 SS a8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Hole View Post
@parish8 - hope you mean 6.48 on stock wheels, not "motor."
Car was stock from the cylinder heads to the 20” rims. Stock motor, stock converter, stock trans, stock driveshaft, rear, axles, rims. Lots of stuff on top of the motor.
Old 06-22-2018, 04:34 AM   #36
PRAY

Drives: 2016 2SS
All I will say is that I am doing a H/C job on a car now that has basically only seen E and it is the cleanest motor I have ever taken apart. Everything in side looks amazing. The pump gas motors I take apart look like crap.
PRAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 07:23 AM   #37
ULTRAZLS1

Yeah I’ve always assumed it burned cleaner. Never heard of the gumming up thing. One of the only negatives I’ve heard is that E85 will collect moisture long term more than regular fuel
Old 06-22-2018, 07:42 AM   #38
driven2exceSS

Drives: 2016 2SS BLK A8 Vert
Sorry OP... I am 100% sold on E85, the tuner I spoke of was the first I heard of anyone claiming any negative (other than E85's availability locally). Hearing of the OP's situation it provoked me to comment is all. Just to be clear, my delay on my install has NOTHING to do with those views at all. Absolutely looking forward to the gains!! Only regret/concern I can see anyone having is wishing it was done earlier when the flex kit was first made available!!
NPP, MRC, Tinted side & rear reflectors, OEM ZL1 Rockers / 3rd Brake / Darken tail lights, OEM Blk rear splash guards, Satin hood wrap, Fuse pull, Sound tube delete, Cat delete, Ported 95 TB, Ported MSD IM, Dry RotoFab, ARH 1 7/8 headers, E85, "Performance Dyno" Tune, BMR "pieces", "Track" alignment, Hawk DCT-70/70's w/SRF, Goodridge lines, Ti shims, Red powdered calipers, 18" APEX SM-10's w/ Pirelli DH's, FE4 Vert swaybars, Brake cooling ducts, ATI 10% UD, Vorshlag camber plates, OEM 1LE Splitter w/APR Ext., Velossa BIG MOUTH Ram Air, CF QA1, ZLE brakes(F)
driven2exceSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 07:55 AM   #39
danhr
BAMF SS

I love the fact that I cleaned and polished the inside and outside of my exhaust tips the day after I got tuned for e85...... they are still just as clean and shiney. No carbon or anything

Stock Longblock

Old 06-22-2018, 08:10 AM   #40
Chevy71

Drives: 2016 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by danhr View Post
I love the fact that I cleaned and polished the inside and outside of my exhaust tips the day after I got tuned for e85...... they are still just as clean and shiney. No carbon or anything
The inside of your motor looks just as good too. It does wonders for a motor!
SW long tube headers
3" stainless mid pipe - Secondary Cat delete - High flow cats
Port and polished heads-Double valve springs-platinum lifters & push rods
Cam phaser limiter - DOD delete
P1SC-1 Pro Charger 3.7 pulley
Stage II intercooler
667rwhp 577ft lbs
Chevy71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 08:13 AM   #41
danhr
BAMF SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevy71 View Post
The inside of your motor looks just as good too. It does wonders for a motor!
Yeah but I dont clean the inside of my engine before a car cruise/car sbow. Lol.

Stock Longblock

Old 06-22-2018, 09:03 AM   #42
Black Hole

Drives: 2017 2SS Redline
OK - I'm back on the e85 train; I have 2 other tuners in the area to check out. Now, back to the drag radials...LOL.
Black Hole is offline   Reply With Quote