Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 07-05-2023, 01:38 PM   #15
Shock and Steel

Drives: 2023 Camaro Convertible 2LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Maverick View Post
These flat-top stands have worked great with the ZL1Addons lift blocks:

https://esco.net/product/3-ton-perfo...ck-stand-pair/
Quote:
Originally Posted by MT-SS1LE View Post
I ordered a set of these exact jack stands a few days ago. I have the normal height Esco jack stands, and even on their lowest setting they are higher than needed for an oil change, brake work, etc. I'll feel better about not having to raise the car as high, even if it doesn't hurt anything.
I hope you didn't spend too much. I just found a PAIR of the Esco 10499 low-profile stands for $80 shipped. The seller has multiple pairs left, and states that they are all returns or trade show demos, and have little to know signs of use. I will let you know when I receive my pair.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/374732995371
Shock and Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2023, 01:54 PM   #16
MT-SS1LE

Drives: 2023 SS 1LE Sharkskin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shock and Steel View Post
I hope you didn't spend too much. I just found a PAIR of the Esco 10499 low-profile stands for $80 shipped. The seller has multiple pairs left, and states that they are all returns or trade show demos, and have little to know signs of use. I will let you know when I receive my pair.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/374732995371

That's exactly who I ordered from

Hope to get them some time next week and I'll put them to use right away changing my diff fluid.
MT-SS1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2023, 02:25 PM   #17
CalgaryZL1

Drives: 2020 Chevy Camaro ZL1
When I went to install my pinch weld lift pads I was so paranoid to use the more center lift point to raise it I took it to work and used the two fork lifts to raise it
Attached Images

CalgaryZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2023, 02:28 PM   #18
MT-SS1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalgaryZL1 View Post
When I went to install my pinch weld lift pads I was so paranoid to use the more center lift point to raise it I took it to work and used the two fork lifts to raise it

Haha, that's awesome!

Now if you use four fork lifts you can have your own mobile 4-point lift
Old 07-05-2023, 02:44 PM   #19
CalgaryZL1

Drives: 2020 Chevy Camaro ZL1
Quote:
Haha, that's awesome!

Now if you use four fork lifts you can have your own mobile 4-point lift
Well, I didn’t get the four-point lift, but this is the next best thing because I’m old and I can’t crawl on the ground anymore
Attached Images

CalgaryZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2023, 05:46 AM   #20
Shock and Steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uk2019 View Post
I have a couple of types but for the camaro with the bolt on metal lift pads I use those with a "vee" top as they're the most secure to stop the pads slipping sideways off the top of the stands. Even if the pads don't make full contact with the jack stand top (i.e just the metal corners of the billet jack pads) I've found this to be the most stable setup.
I bought 2 pairs of the Esco 10499 Low-Profile stands. They are B-stock/Trade Show models... so they have scratches. The first pair they sent was so badly scratched that they sent me another pair at no extra charge. They also had a burr that need to be filed out... took me 12 seconds to take care of that. I'm taking all of the bases to a local powder-coater... what color should I pick? I'll probably go with flat or satin black... whatever they spray the most. At least they will all look nice and uniform.
Old 07-17-2023, 05:53 AM   #21
Shock and Steel

Quote:
That's exactly who I ordered from

Hope to get them some time next week and I'll put them to use right away changing my diff fluid.
How badly scratched were the stands when you received them. Mine were so scratched up, they sent me a 2nd pair at no additional charge. I messaged him before I made the initial purchase, asking for a clean set, and he said sure no problem... and sent probably the most gouged up set
Old 07-17-2023, 08:57 AM   #22
MT-SS1LE

Quote:
How badly scratched were the stands when you received them. Mine were so scratched up, they sent me a 2nd pair at no additional charge. I messaged him before I made the initial purchase, asking for a clean set, and he said sure no problem... and sent probably the most gouged up set

The pair I received were in like new condition with a few minor cosmetic imperfections.

I actually ordered a second set which I should receive this week. Hopefully they are in good condition. Were you happy with the replacement he sent?
Old 07-21-2023, 04:07 PM   #23
Shock and Steel

Quote:
The pair I received were in like new condition with a few minor cosmetic imperfections.

I actually ordered a second set which I should receive this week. Hopefully they are in good condition. Were you happy with the replacement he sent?
Actually, both pairs are scratched up pretty heavily, but they did state that there could be cosmetic damage to cover themselves. Also, both pairs were made in different batches, one pair has a metallic paint look, and the other pair was clearly powder-coated. I could just leave them alone and focus on the car, but I like my tools/equipment to look nice. So I'm going to hand-sand the gouges with 320, then run over the whole surface with green 3M pads made for my multi-tool, then clean and shoot with some Rustoleum Matte Nickel paint. At least they will have fewer scratches, and all look the same.

In the first pic, the two on the left look powder-coated to me, and the two on the right look painted silver metallic. Also in the first pic, you can see the stand on the top left of the pic has a bent support brace. I will try to tap that back out with a mallet.

The powder-coater wanted too much money to coat these, so I will just spruce them up myself.
Attached Images

Old 07-21-2023, 04:20 PM   #24
MT-SS1LE

Quote:
Actually, both pairs are scratched up pretty heavily, but they did state that there could be cosmetic damage to cover themselves. Also, both pairs were made in different batches, one pair has a metallic paint look, and the other pair was clearly powder-coated. I could just leave them alone and focus on the car, but I like my tools/equipment to look nice. So I'm going to hand-sand the gouges with 320, then run over the whole surface with green 3M pads made for my multi-tool, then clean and shoot with some Rustoleum Matte Nickel paint. At least they will have fewer scratches, and all look the same.

In the first pic, the two on the left look powder-coated to me, and the two on the right look painted silver metallic. Also in the first pic, you can see the stand on the top left of the pic has a bent support brace. I will try to tap that back out with a mallet.

The powder-coater wanted too much money to coat these, so I will just spruce them up myself.

I got the second set in yesterday and they were pretty beat up in shipping. They look about the same condition as yours. I honestly think most/all the damage was done by FedEx. The box looked like it had been dragged behind the truck. I also like my tools to look nice, so I'll probably try and find some touch up paint that is close. Both my sets look to be powder coated.
Old 07-21-2023, 04:53 PM   #25
Shock and Steel

Quote:
I got the second set in yesterday and they were pretty beat up in shipping. They look about the same condition as yours. I honestly think most/all the damage was done by FedEx. The box looked like it had been dragged behind the truck. I also like my tools to look nice, so I'll probably try and find some touch up paint that is close. Both my sets look to be powder coated.
I got this itch to try my multi-tool as a sander. I have the adapter, and a bunch of sanding discs and pads, so I hope I find the combo that scuffs them up quickly for paint. The painted pair looks like a more durable finish, while the powder-coating seems to gouge easily. I'll post my result after I get them painted. I'm cutting off the chains that were painted, and will replace with new stainless chain, also on the way. As far as that bent support piece, I straightened it with a couple strikes of a dead-blow hammer.
Old 08-01-2023, 10:16 PM   #26
Techdude99

Drives: 2019 Chevy Camaro ZL1 1LE
Just received my set from the same eBay seller. They look brand new. Seller had awesome communication and the price was the best I could find.
Techdude99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2023, 11:35 AM   #27
Shock and Steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uk2019 View Post
You can lift the car using the extra bracing. The black painted tubular bracing where it's bolted to the pinch weld is more than strong enough for this. I lift my convertible at this point and then put stands under the front and rear most points where I have the bolt on lift pads. Have been doing this for a few years now and no deformation or any other change to the chassis brace
I lifted a side of the car using the extra bracing, and it seemed fine. Thanks!

Quote:
I finally finished my mini-spruce-up project on the ESCO 10499 stands. They look better now... good enough. The "before" pics are in post #23, and here are the after pics. I even replaced the chains that held the pins, because one pair was scratched from being painted, and the other pair was clumped up with powder-coating.
Attached Images

Old 08-08-2023, 01:20 PM   #28
Rayvan
Rayvan

Drives: 2018 1SS1LE, Silver Ice Metallic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabjbr View Post
Let me add one cautionary note…

Do not combine ZL1 Jack pads and hockey pucks. Adding additional items between the car and jack increases the possibility of sliding off. This is especially true the higher you raise the car. Be careful and only lift as high as you need.
I agree. Another thing that will catch you off-guard is that there's no steering lock on these cars. If one car is higher than the other, it will begin to turn the wheel. I helps to have someone hold the wheel when jacking one side of the car, especially if the "other" side is already in the air.
Rayvan is offline   Reply With Quote