Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 08-16-2020, 04:42 PM   #1
War_Eagle
2010 RS

Drives: 2010 v6
Please help me fix my AC... it’s so hot

Just bought myself my 2nd camaro. This is a 2011 RS.

I have replaced the AC relay, checked the fuse, and added sufficient refrigerant with AC PRO. It is still blowing hot. I believe i can hear the compressor come on but it sounds like it only comes on for a brief second but I’m not sure. What should I try next?
War_Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 05:20 PM   #2
lemontwist

Drives: 12 2SS/RS L99,11 2SS/RS LS3totaled
sounds like the standard blend door issue
lemontwist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 05:36 PM   #3
redcoats1976

Drives: LT W/2LT,blue metallic
try clamping the heater hoses shut.if that gets you cold air its the blend door.easiest/cheapest fix is shutoff valves in the heater hoses so you can still use the heater when needed.
redcoats1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 05:40 PM   #4
Tajefe Couple

Drives: Never just fly under the radar
Clamp off the inlet hose to your heater core for just a moment to see if the AC gets cold. If it does get cold do a search for "blend door". Plenty of post about the dreaded issue. GL
Old 08-16-2020, 05:41 PM   #5
Tajefe Couple

Redcoat got it, but as you can tell it's a common problem.
Old 08-16-2020, 06:02 PM   #6
War_Eagle
2010 RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by redcoats1976 View Post
try clamping the heater hoses shut.if that gets you cold air its the blend door.easiest/cheapest fix is shutoff valves in the heater hoses so you can still use the heater when needed.
Just tried this and it is still blowing hot..
Old 08-16-2020, 07:09 PM   #7
InFiD3ViL

Drives: 2010 CGM 2SS/RS LS3 Swapped A6
Other possibilities could be evaporator, condenser, expansion valve, electrical issue, compressor, massive leak...that stuff gets expensive.

Overfilling with refrigerant will present the same outward symptoms as an underfilled condition. The computer will disable the compressor in an overfilled state after a specific pressure is reached. But before that, it will still come on but with very poor/no cooling.

How familiar are you with HVAC? If not much experience I would recommend taking to a certified AC shop. I would hate to see you just wasting money throwing parts at it only to still have no working AC. You can pay for a diagnostic this way you at the least know where you stand and aren't wasting money guessing.

If you are comfortable working on them then get a pressure manifold hooked up and see where it stands as far as overcharged/undercharged. With the compressor on and AC set to max, mine is usually at around 35-40 lbs low side and 200-250 high side. Keep in mind this is all highly ambient temperature and humidity dependent.

When checking the compressor for activity get a flashlight and shine it on the middle of the AC clutch. This should allow you to see if it is staying on or coming on at all. Also, check to see if your radiator fans come on high when the AC is set to max. They both should be turning on and spinning up fairly fast.

In the meantime turn your heat on full blast and full hot and feel how hot it gets. When my blend door broke not only did my AC suck, but the heat was not very hot either. Normally my heat is suffocatingly hot.
2010 CGM Camaro 2SS LS3 Swapped A6 - GPI LS3 SS1 .647/.638, (224/237, 112 +4, 7º overlap) on CamMotion 8620 core, BTR Platinum .660" Dual Spring kit w/titanium retainers, CHE bronze trunnion upgrade, stock heads milled @ .015, Melling HV 10296 oil pump, TSP 1-7/8" long tube headers (W/Catless Off-road Pipes), Corsa Xtreme 3" Catback, GPI Ported/Rod Mod Intake, Stage 2 Ported Throttle Body, Vararam OTR CAI, Mike Norris Gen 2 catch can + GM 1LE clean side separator, 160º thermostat - Megan Racing adjustable coilovers (lowered 1.75"), MRR M017 10/11" wheels-Tuned by Ryan @ GPI
InFiD3ViL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 10:10 PM   #8
mbesman
Great White

Drives: 2015 Camaro 2SS
Take it to a local ac shop and use a coupon and get the system vacuumed and refilled. It costs about 35 bucks and if something is wrong they will let you know. Many times a DIY on filling it gets overfilled which as other posters have said is just as bad as under-filled. Sometimes worse could you could blow seals and such.
Old 08-18-2020, 07:13 PM   #9
War_Eagle
2010 RS

What else should I check before taking it somewhere
Old 08-18-2020, 07:46 PM   #10
Tajefe Couple

Quote:
Originally Posted by War_Eagle View Post
What else should I check before taking it somewhere
What Infid3vil said below

Quote:
Originally Posted by InFiD3ViL View Post
Other possibilities could be evaporator, condenser, expansion valve, electrical issue, compressor, massive leak...that stuff gets expensive.

Overfilling with refrigerant will present the same outward symptoms as an underfilled condition. The computer will disable the compressor in an overfilled state after a specific pressure is reached. But before that, it will still come on but with very poor/no cooling.

How familiar are you with HVAC? If not much experience I would recommend taking to a certified AC shop. I would hate to see you just wasting money throwing parts at it only to still have no working AC. You can pay for a diagnostic this way you at the least know where you stand and aren't wasting money guessing.

If you are comfortable working on them then get a pressure manifold hooked up and see where it stands as far as overcharged/undercharged. With the compressor on and AC set to max, mine is usually at around 35-40 lbs low side and 200-250 high side. Keep in mind this is all highly ambient temperature and humidity dependent.

When checking the compressor for activity get a flashlight and shine it on the middle of the AC clutch. This should allow you to see if it is staying on or coming on at all. Also, check to see if your radiator fans come on high when the AC is set to max. They both should be turning on and spinning up fairly fast.

In the meantime turn your heat on full blast and full hot and feel how hot it gets. When my blend door broke not only did my AC suck, but the heat was not very hot either. Normally my heat is suffocatingly hot.
Old 08-19-2020, 07:58 PM   #11
War_Eagle
2010 RS

I took it by express and they hooked it up and showed me where I need a new compressor.