Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 10-29-2012, 12:17 AM   #1
camarozzzz

Drives: Blue
How many kms/miles is too much??

How long do you plan to keep your cars?

I have a 2011 1LT with 50 000 kms as of today and I am considering upgrading to a 2013 as soon as my finances allow it.

How many kilometers/ miles will be too many for you, in order for you to consider a upgrade to a newer model or something different?

How many kms/ miles should we keep these cars before we can expect large breakdowns or repairs to start occurring? What amount of kms/miles will you guys have on your rides before you consider selling or trading them in?
camarozzzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 12:35 AM   #2
AdamZ
Account Suspended

Drives: Eve - 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS
Depends how you drive...100k miles before problems? 200k? If it's well maintained...engines can last forever
AdamZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 04:58 AM   #3
camarozzzz

Drives: Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamZ View Post
Depends how you drive...100k miles before problems? 200k? If it's well maintained...engines can last forever
What amount of miles on your car would you say will be the triggering factor to get you to upgrade or sell?

I am just wondering how many miles people plan to keep their cars for.
camarozzzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 06:04 AM   #4
fielderLS3

Drives: 2016 Mazda6, 2011 Mustang 5.0
Never a set number of miles. How the car runs is more important. It also depends on the cost to trade up, the car you're moving out of vs. the car you're moving in to, daily driver vs. weekend car, etc...

Personally, I'm the type of person who keeps daily driver cars for the long haul. My Oldsmobile has 162K miles on it. It's not worth anything to trade in or sell, so as long as it runs good, it makes sense to keep whatever cheap miles it has left for myself. I plan to keep it until something major fails.

The Mustang on the other hand...I may or may not be open to a trade in a few years down the road. No real mileage trigger there...it'll depend more on whether or not the next-gen Mustang, or next-gen Camaro, or whatever else would replace it is good enough to be worth it, and whether or not the price is right.

Also, I notice you live in Washington. Here in Wisconsin, once a car has anywhere from 10-15 winters on it, depending on how well it is maintained, it gets to be fairly used up with all the salt, temperature extremes, etc...

However, in Washington, you can probably expect to get a lot more miles out of a car thanks to the moderate climate. I was in Seattle a few years ago, and one thing I noticed on the roads was the number of 20+ year old cars driving around...and not just that they were a lot more common than where I live, but that many of them were actually in quite good condition.
fielderLS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 06:06 AM   #5
K32 Camaro
V8 lounge member #5

Drives: 12 2SS Synergy Camaro, 05 PontiacG6
Buying a new engine is cheaper than a new car. Drive this Bit*h into the ground and back again!

I love the body design so I will be doing this. I always buy cars to keep them.
K32 Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 09:06 AM   #6
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Quote:
Originally Posted by camarozzzz View Post
How many kilometers/ miles will be too many for you, in order for you to consider a upgrade to a newer model or something different?
It's never been about the number of miles or even having to make significant repairs (once I found out that there wasn't much I couldn't tackle myself). Every car I've bought since 1970 has been run past 100,000 miles, and I still have two of them sitting in the driveway getting occasional use.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I think I'm seeing a mild case of buyer regret here. In that case, the choice to move up has to suit whatever is pulling at you to do so. I'm not sure I can help you very much with that, never having bought a car I wasn't utterly convinced I'd still be happy with at least a year after the final payment was made.

Norm
Norm Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 09:28 AM   #7
Dawn55430

Drives: 2023 Radiant Red 2LT
Typically I keep a daily driver 5 years and about 100,000 miles. By that point I'm usually ready for a change, or it's ready for repairs I'm not willing to tackle. However, I have had vehicles that were gone at 30,000 because I just hated them or they were pieces of junk. All depends on the vehicle. I have no set number.
Dawn55430 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 09:34 AM   #8
BowtieBelle
They see me trollin'...

Drives: 217 ci of fury; Chauffeured by SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Comrando View Post
You are at 31,000 miles and going to trade?

I think your metric system is misleading you. Switch to English and go for 100,000 miles (160,000 km) plus.
This.

I'll keep my car till the engine blows and the wheels fall off. Then I'll drop a new engine in it, glue the wheels back on and keep driving. 250k is easily possible! When I buy a 2017 50th anniversary Z/28 this will continue to be my daily driver

2011 Custom LT/RS: Bella's Build Thread
BowtieBelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 02:15 PM   #9
trooper182

Drives: 2011 Camaro 1LT yellow non RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by BowtieBelle View Post
This.

I'll keep my car till the engine blows and the wheels fall off. Then I'll drop a new engine in it, glue the wheels back on and keep driving. 250k is easily possible! When I buy a 2017 50th anniversary Z/28 this will continue to be my daily driver

I plan on keeping this car until my son (2 years old) is old enough to drive. Then I will pass it on to him. Maybe we will get to work on it together someday. Cars these days are not the cars of 10-20 years ago. Take care of it and it will last a long time.
Staff Sergeant U.S. Army 13B Gun Bunny. 2011 Camaro 1LT A6 Mods: Pypes bomb V8 exhaust, Magnaflow x-pipe, resonator delete, Roto-Fab cold air intake, Vmax Black Ice-olator, Elite Engineering catch can, painted engine cover and fuse box cover, 3dCarbon Front Fender Vents, Street Scene Front Splitter, ZL1 Side Rockers, Anvil Notch Rear Spoiler, interior/engine bay LED lights, two JL Audio W3's 10" and 1000w kenwood amp
trooper182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 02:28 PM   #10
mikeSS

Drives: 2015 c7
i do not sell or trade a car in because of miles. its because i want something new or a different car . i usually keep a car for 2-3 years. getting a new car next spring, with or without a sold camaro.
mikeSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 02:31 PM   #11
SC2150
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 Camaro RS, RX supercharged
All modern engins today if properly maintained with full synthetic oil and the DI motors a good catchcan used are good for 300K plus miles. You will have the usual altenator, brakes, etc. to replace over time....but the rest is amazing as far as longevity.

SC2150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 02:38 PM   #12
heRS
Raised by Wolves

Drives: IBM 2010 2LT RS M6
I bought mine planning to keep it because I'm not made of money to change cars so often. I drive it like a sane woman, don't loan it to anyone, maintain it, it should last me 300k.
I expect things will break but by and large it should last me a good long while. If i win the lottery, I'd trot right down to Appleway and buy a 1LE to abuse mercilessly.

heRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 02:41 PM   #13
daveagogo1
TRI COUNTY TAMPA

Drives: 2011 1SS/RS VR/BLK A6
That's nothing. My CTS had 88,000 miles on it and the only thing ever replaced was pads, tires, wipers and some bulbs after 6yrs. Looked and drove like new. Would have easily gone well beyond 150k

daveagogo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 03:19 PM   #14
Avenging Orange

Drives: 2010 Inferno Orange 2SS/RS
I guess I agree with most.......as long as everything is working fine. For me, prolly 50k-70k. But my last 2 cars were traded in with less than 15k. I'm an old fart who has worked almost my entire life, so I usually dont let the warranty expire. Besides, there are just too many cool cars comming out that I need to experience!
2010 Inferno Orange 2SS/RS M6 Black Leather, Sun Roof, OBX Headers, Borla touring axle back, Cold Air Inductions CAI , non synthetic fluids, BMR total bushing upgrade/1" lowering springs, DSE 32mm rear sway bar. GM fe4 shocks/struts/LCA's, AAM 3.91 diff, Vertini RFS1.8 20x9 +30. Conti ExtremeContact Sport 275/35/20. sjm autoprod ABL dash kit. Mike Norris tuned 413/419.
Avenging Orange: 43 years of not buying into the Hype........and damn proud of it!!
https://youtu.be/9JD9it6SmB8
https://youtu.be/xmelTlEzI34
KICKING CANCERS ASS SINCE 2015!!
Avenging Orange is offline   Reply With Quote