#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 09-08-2023, 01:13 AM   #15
Wuiquen

Drives: 2018 Hot Red ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingLT1 View Post
Yep that is correct. Now the Perma codes won't trip the CEL, they are just stored in the background. So, if your state hooks up to the OBD2 then you will have issues.

You can also have it remote tuned. Buy HPt,install a AEM 30-0334 wideband, and hit up someone for remote tuning services. There are a few great options out there for this.

This tune/code info changes things a bit, maybe. my state doesn't inspect for anything so even if I let the ECU cycle, the tune can clear the code from triggering the CEL and the permanent codes won't hurt anything if tune properly?

Any suggestion on what equipment to buy from HPTuner for mail or remote tuning? I would be interested in doing this. I have seen in the past there mail in tuners won't do SC engine.
Old 09-08-2023, 05:59 AM   #16
2023_ZL1-AUTO

Drives: 2023 ZL1 - Modified All Bolt On's
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wuiquen View Post
This tune/code info changes things a bit, maybe. my state doesn't inspect for anything so even if I let the ECU cycle, the tune can clear the code from triggering the CEL and the permanent codes won't hurt anything if tune properly?

Any suggestion on what equipment to buy from HPTuner for mail or remote tuning? I would be interested in doing this. I have seen in the past there mail in tuners won't do SC engine.
HpTuners.com and this: https://www.hptuners.com/mpvi3/

You will need licenses for the ECU, I believe it's (4) for a 2017 - 2023 and then a laptop and a USB C one the HPTuners end and then the USB your laptop has (B) (C) etc.
2023 ZL1 A10 - CSP 2" Long Tube Headers by Stainless Works | Gesi G-Sport High Flow CATs | Stainless Works Legend NPP Axle Back | Roto-Fab Big Gulp | Kong NM103mm | Kong X-Port/Polish w/Griptech 2.3" Upper | Granatelli Malevolent Coil Packs | Granatelli 0 Ohm Plug Wires | Katech Valve Covers w/Coil Relocation | FI Interchillers Blower Spacer Plates | Mighty Mouse Mild | JMS Flex Fuel Booster | DSX Flex Fuel Kit | DSX Billet Lid | DMS 2gal Fender Tank | NT555R2's 305/285 | AEM w/b AFR | Banks iDash Data Monster | HPTuners MPVi3 Module and Licenses (ECU & CCM) | Remote Tuned by Ted at JRE
2023_ZL1-AUTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2023, 11:29 AM   #17
Wuiquen

Drives: 2018 Hot Red ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2023_ZL1-AUTO View Post
So, I did all this and more on my ZL1: My major FBO starts here:

https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showt...=611982&page=5

But my entire journey starts here: https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=611982

When I bought my headers, I research a lot and I personally felt the CSP Headers manufactured by Stainless Works had the best and easiest install as far as clearance and how well they fit etc. I did this myself with no helper. Also, what size long tubes are you considering 1 7/8" or 2" or what? I went 2", but I feel since I was only doing Full bolt on mods, maybe I should of went with 1 7/8". But smarter people on this forum can chime in as I'm no where nearly as smart as most these guys!

I did mine in one day and before I started anything I watched this video multiple times (like 10) and it was spot on for my ! SOCAL.M6.ZLE makes all good points. I did mine owe header install because I was also do a ton more FBO mods. Thus, I just decided to roll up my sleeves and go for it! I made a lot of mistakes along the way that I shared in my thread. So learn from that and you might be able to get by with making few or none ! GOOG LUCK and remember don't over tighten the exhaust flange bolts where the headers connect to the exhaust and remember to follow the torque specs !!!!

Thank you this video helps a lot. I will review your threads and let you know if I have any questions. Every time I learn something new when asking about the headers for this car lol
Old 09-08-2023, 05:37 PM   #18
AZIROC

Drives: '86 IROC-Z '18 ZL1
I installed my complete exhuast in a weekend. But I also had a lift. I could have easily done it in 1 day but the 1st day I didn't start till around noon'ish and stopped around 6. The following day was just finishing the piping and buttoning everything back up. There is a few solid YouTube videos but I think I followed a thread made on here on how to do it. I've installed headers on 3rd and 4th gen camaros and they were a pain, on my zl1 it was WAY easier. Once the oem exhaust was off abd the headers off, the headers literally dropped out. The driver side header was simple to install from the bottom. The psg side I had to remove the head shield and dip stick but it went right in.

As far as cost. I got my kooks headers and borla exhaust for like 2k (kooks has a sale on top of a sale and I saved atleast half). The shop wanted me to buy the kooks and borla from them (3500) and 1k to install. I said f that and did it myself.
AZIROC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2023, 06:20 PM   #19
Dynamical

Drives: 2022 Camaro LT1 A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZIROC View Post
I installed my complete exhuast in a weekend. But I also had a lift. I could have easily done it in 1 day but the 1st day I didn't start till around noon'ish and stopped around 6. The following day was just finishing the piping and buttoning everything back up. There is a few solid YouTube videos but I think I followed a thread made on here on how to do it. I've installed headers on 3rd and 4th gen camaros and they were a pain, on my zl1 it was WAY easier. Once the oem exhaust was off abd the headers off, the headers literally dropped out. The driver side header was simple to install from the bottom. The psg side I had to remove the head shield and dip stick but it went right in.

As far as cost. I got my kooks headers and borla exhaust for like 2k (kooks has a sale on top of a sale and I saved atleast half). The shop wanted me to buy the kooks and borla from them (3500) and 1k to install. I said f that and did it myself.
What headers did you put on the 4th gens?
I installed Dynamax headers+off road Y into a magnaflow.
Then Texas Speed headers into their off road Y into a Borla.
Then American Racing headers into a catted Y into a Borla.
4th gens NEVER gave me the issues that I have been hearing exist with these 6th gens. I considered those 4th gen installs on jackstands easy
Are the ZL1s easier than the SS/LT1 to install headers?

KingLT1 and 2023_ZL1-AUTO thanks for the info I appreciate

2022 Camaro LT1 A10 - Drag Pack/AxleBack -11.849@118.67MPH/1.798 60'
2001 Camaro SS A4 - HCI/Stall/Bolt-on/Gear/Tune/DR/Diet - 429HP/392TQ - 10.99@123.58MPH/1.584 60'
1998 Camaro Z28 A4 - Bolt-on
1999 Camaro Z28 A4 - Stock

FJB
Dynamical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2023, 05:26 PM   #20
AZIROC

Drives: '86 IROC-Z '18 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynamical View Post
What headers did you put on the 4th gens?
I installed Dynamax headers+off road Y into a magnaflow.
Then Texas Speed headers into their off road Y into a Borla.
Then American Racing headers into a catted Y into a Borla.
4th gens NEVER gave me the issues that I have been hearing exist with these 6th gens. I considered those 4th gen installs on jackstands easy
Are the ZL1s easier than the SS/LT1 to install headers?

KingLT1 and 2023_ZL1-AUTO thanks for the info I appreciate

Speed engineering mostly and a few pace setters (I think they went out of business a while ago) were the common choice for beaders back then. Exhaust was magnaflows or borlas mostly. Those installs were harder. The only added step to 6th gens is thst giant brace thing under the engine.
AZIROC is online now   Reply With Quote