Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Nav, Radar, Electronics

Phastek Performance

Old 07-24-2017, 08:55 PM   #1
15ke

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Apple CarPlay works; Android Auto doesn't

I am continuing to have trouble getting Android Auto to work.

I have a 2016 Camaro 2SS built in May. I have had the software updated once, and taken back to the dealer to confirm. Apple CarPlay works with my wife's iPhone 6 perfectly, but I cannot get my Samsung S6 to connect Android Auto.

I have Android Auto installed on my phone, tried both the original Samsung USB cable, as well as a new high speed cable, I allow data sharing when the USB options message comes up (MTP connection).

I also have turned on the developer options and enabled USB debugging and set the USB configuration to MTP - I read in another post this helped with the Samsung S7.

So two questions:
1. Is it possible to have a software version in the car that works with Apple but not Android?
2. Any other ideas of things to try for Android Auto.

Thanks for the help.
15ke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 11:35 PM   #2
PnCRedJwl2SS
Howdy! Pete here...

Drives: 2017 50th Anniv 2SS, A8, NPP, MRC
Quote:
Originally Posted by 15ke View Post
I am continuing to have trouble getting Android Auto to work.

I have a 2016 Camaro 2SS built in May. I have had the software updated once, and taken back to the dealer to confirm. Apple CarPlay works with my wife's iPhone 6 perfectly, but I cannot get my Samsung S6 to connect Android Auto.

I have Android Auto installed on my phone, tried both the original Samsung USB cable, as well as a new high speed cable, I allow data sharing when the USB options message comes up (MTP connection).

I also have turned on the developer options and enabled USB debugging and set the USB configuration to MTP - I read in another post this helped with the Samsung S7.

So two questions:
1. Is it possible to have a software version in the car that works with Apple but not Android?
2. Any other ideas of things to try for Android Auto.

Thanks for the help.
Did you enable Android Auto in the vehicle Settings?

PnCRedJwl2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 08:25 PM   #3
15ke

So I waited til I got home to check, but I don't see an Android Auto menu. I do have an Apple CarPlay menu but nothing for Android.

I looked in the manual and I do see a reference to it, but don't see it anywhere. There are actually many other menus in the manual that are also not in the car.

I am looking in the Settings menu. Am I missing something?
Old 07-25-2017, 08:42 PM   #4
Ian SS

Drives: 2016 1SS, 2017 JKU Wrangler
If you go to Settings, and scroll through the list, you should see an option for Apple Car Play and right below it, Android Auto. This is where you would turn each feature on or off and forget devices, etc.

If you do not have both options, your car does not have the Android Auto software.

2018 Ram Rebel 4x4 5.7
Ian SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 09:02 PM   #5
SuperSound

Drives: '17 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
So I waited til I got home to check, but I don't see an Android Auto menu. I do have an Apple CarPlay menu but nothing for Android.

I looked in the manual and I do see a reference to it, but don't see it anywhere. There are actually many other menus in the manual that are also not in the car.

I am looking in the Settings menu. Am I missing something?
You don't have the update I'm betting. There should definitely be an Android Auto menu there too. The MY16 cars up until March I believe didn't have the Android Auto update for 8" screens.

"Voices in your head are not considered insider information."

3800 Status - 6/16/16 (Built!)
6000 status - 6/29/16 (Delivered!)
SuperSound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 09:43 PM   #6
Start The Machine

Drives: 2016 M6 2.0T
Take your car to the dealership and update the head unit software. I had this same issue. It took the repair department people some digging to find the bulletin from GM. They found it and fixed it. Fully covered by GM. Do not pay for it out of pocket.
RS Package, HD Cooling Package, Brembo 6 Piston Front Brakes, SRP Racing Pedals, Soler Performance Throttle Controller, Dyno Tuned by Trifecta, Velossa Tech Ram Air, Mishimoto Intake, aFe Air Filter, Mishimoto Charge Pipes, ZZP 67mm Throttle Body, Trifecta T40 Stage 2 Turbo, JacFab Recirculation Valve, PTP Turbo Blanket, ZZP Catted Downpipe, Mishimoto Pro Cat-Back Quad Tip Exhaust, Mishimoto Catch Cans, Mishimoto Coolant Reservoir Tank, GM SEMA Grill, Ikon Motorsports Front Fascia Extension, Ikon Motorsports 1LE Spoiler, American Authority ZL1 Side Skirts, AMPP Quad Tip Rear Valance
Start The Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 06:37 AM   #7
15ke

That's part of the problem. I've had it in twice to have the update done.

The first time it took all day (literally 8 hours) and they said it updated. The second time they said it was alsready updated.

How do I escalate this past the local dealership?
Old 07-26-2017, 08:08 AM   #8
SuperSound

Drives: '17 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:

The first time it took all day (literally 8 hours) and they said it updated. The second time they said it was alsready updated.

Need someone with a '16 to post the myLink firmware version they have with AA. Then compare and take that to them as the update you need. There were several updates to the '16s to address some trouble with them. Betting they only applied those updates.

"Voices in your head are not considered insider information."

3800 Status - 6/16/16 (Built!)
6000 status - 6/29/16 (Delivered!)
SuperSound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 09:49 PM   #9
PnCRedJwl2SS
Howdy! Pete here...

Drives: 2017 50th Anniv 2SS, A8, NPP, MRC
Quote:

Yup, if no Android Auto in your menu, your car needs the update. If closest dealership doesn't know how, find another service department!

PnCRedJwl2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 02:10 PM   #10
Start The Machine

Drives: 2016 M6 2.0T
Quote:
Originally Posted by PnCRedJwl2SS View Post
Yup, if no Android Auto in your menu, your car needs the update. If closest dealership doesn't know how, find another service department!
Like I mentioned, the AA update for the 8" head unit exist. The dealership repair department I went to took forever to find the update from GM. Its there. Do not leave until they find it. We had to get the head manager involved and some phone calls were made as well. They found the update and fix my head unit.
RS Package, HD Cooling Package, Brembo 6 Piston Front Brakes, SRP Racing Pedals, Soler Performance Throttle Controller, Dyno Tuned by Trifecta, Velossa Tech Ram Air, Mishimoto Intake, aFe Air Filter, Mishimoto Charge Pipes, ZZP 67mm Throttle Body, Trifecta T40 Stage 2 Turbo, JacFab Recirculation Valve, PTP Turbo Blanket, ZZP Catted Downpipe, Mishimoto Pro Cat-Back Quad Tip Exhaust, Mishimoto Catch Cans, Mishimoto Coolant Reservoir Tank, GM SEMA Grill, Ikon Motorsports Front Fascia Extension, Ikon Motorsports 1LE Spoiler, American Authority ZL1 Side Skirts, AMPP Quad Tip Rear Valance
Start The Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2017, 03:52 PM   #11
15ke

In case this helps anyone in the future - the dealer finally got the software updated this week - on their third try. Android Auto now does show up in the Settings menu, and works as intended.

The old software number was 23415881.

New is 84131949.
Old 09-30-2017, 05:20 PM   #12
cellsafemode

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1LT
It's hilarious how this is still happening because Chevy chose to leave it up to Dealers to install the update and not allow owners to just flash update it.

ridiculous. stupid. and an obvious ploy to get you into a dealership service center to steal some money from you - either through "installation charges" or coincidental crap they "find" while you're there.
cellsafemode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2017, 07:43 PM   #13
bybcous

Drives: 2016 Hyper Blue 1SS
When i received my car december 2015, i had the android auto option in the settings even though i could not use it until cars head unit was updated.
Best so far 11.5 at 123 with a 1.83 60ft. BMR lower and upper trailing arms and upper control arms,E85
DELIVERED 12/29/15
http://youtube.com/bybcous " no talking only racing on my youtube"
bybcous is offline   Reply With Quote