Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro DIY & HOW-TO instructions & discussions

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 04-08-2024, 04:41 PM   #127
Rnovrit

Drives: 2018 NFG ZL1-1LE
Update:
I found some info on a Chevy volt owner doing the same thing and has tested it out. All you need is the connector adapter and the 50-ohm termination load. Install on the purple antenna connector. It stops the outgoing signal to Onstar but leaves your gps functioning just like Maverick described. I placed the order on amazon ($12 total) and will give it a shot once I pull the car out of it's hibernating spot.

here is the link to the two parts:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07PFLZ4HF...p_imgToDp&th=1
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BXUYDMM...hk_typ_imgToDp
Rnovrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2024, 07:17 PM   #128
CalgaryZL1

Drives: 2020 Chevy Camaro ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rnovrit View Post
Update:
I found some info on a Chevy volt owner doing the same thing and has tested it out. All you need is the connector adapter and the 50-ohm termination load. Install on the purple antenna connector. It stops the outgoing signal to Onstar but leaves your gps functioning just like Maverick described. I placed the order on amazon ($12 total) and will give it a shot once I pull the car out of it's hibernating spot.

Thanks for the parts link. Please report back if it works for you. Here is a link for a “stubby” connecter with no cable.

https://a.co/d/36QeI9L
CalgaryZL1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2024, 08:57 PM   #129
ChrisMal

Drives: 23 Camaro 2SS 1LE
Looking forward to the report. Would be nice to have the mic back for changing music and such. Although I'm not sure how motivated I'll be to get back in that passenger footwell to put it back in.
ChrisMal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2024, 09:43 PM   #130
havelegs

Drives: '23 LT1 A10
I see this question has been asked but there does not seem to be an answer. Why isn't just pulling the fuse good enough? When my LT1 was stolen, the fuse was removed and OnStar was unable to track the car. Why is it necessary to remove the module?
Old 04-08-2024, 09:50 PM   #131
arpad_m

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by havelegs View Post
I see this question has been asked but there does not seem to be an answer. Why isn't just pulling the fuse good enough? When my LT1 was stolen, the fuse was removed and OnStar was unable to track the car. Why is it necessary to remove the module?
Because that takes out other functionality, too, so we are hoping there is a way to disable only the transmitter antenna and keep everything but OnStar functional.

Magnuson TVS 2300 80mm pulley | Kooks 1 7/8" LT headers | JRE smooth idle terminator cam | LT4 FS & injectors | TSP forged pistons & rods
JMS PowerMAX | DSX flex fuel kit | Roto-Fab CAI | Soler 95mm LT5 TB | 1LE wheels | 1LE brakes | BMR rear cradle lockout | JRE custom tune

1100 - 1/30/18 | 2000 - 1/31/18
3000 - 2/06/18 TPW 2/26/18
3400 - 2/19/18 | 3800 - 2/26/18
4300 - 2/27/18 | 4B00 - 3/01/18
4200 - 3/05/18 | 4800 - 3/14/18
5000 - 3/16/18 | 6000 - 3/19/18
arpad_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2024, 06:11 AM   #132
Curr
Probably doesn't like you

Drives: 2022 WCT ZL1 M6
Quote:
Update:

Just know that doesn't stop the signal generation / transmission. That's done by the chips on the board. The terminators just effectively shortens the length of the antennae to the end of the terminator. So it's still putting out a signal, at it's normal strength (minus reflections), so if you get near enough to a receiver, it will still communicate, as shown by gatormaro's testing.

To kill the signal you either need to kill power to the chip generating the signal, or shield it enough where the signal strength can't be 'heard' by the receiving tower.

If I get some time in the next day or two I'm going to pull it, if not definitely on Saturday.

كافر
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
железобетонное очко
Quod gratis asseritur, gratis negatur.
There is an unequal amount of good and bad in most things, the trick is to work out the ratio and act accordingly.
Curr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2024, 01:35 PM   #133
jollymon

Drives: '23 RRT 2SS 1LE M6, '15 SIM 1LS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curr View Post
Just know that doesn't stop the signal generation / transmission. That's done by the chips on the board. The terminators just effectively shortens the length of the antennae to the end of the terminator. So it's still putting out a signal, at it's normal strength (minus reflections), so if you get near enough to a receiver, it will still communicate, as shown by gatormaro's testing.

To kill the signal you either need to kill power to the chip generating the signal, or shield it enough where the signal strength can't be 'heard' by the receiving tower.

If I get some time in the next day or two I'm going to pull it, if not definitely on Saturday.
If you have a correctly designed/made 50ohm termination (and the cable/adapter to it as well) it WILL NOT radiate. If either the coax cable, connectors, or 50ohm termination are not correctly made, it will radiate a little as mentioned above.

2015 SIM 1LS M6 - fun DD commute car
2023 RRT 2SS 1LE M6 w/PDR - FUN!!

Last edited by jollymon; 04-09-2024 at 03:52 PM.
jollymon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2024, 02:44 PM   #134
havelegs

Drives: '23 LT1 A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by arpad_m View Post
Because that takes out other functionality, too, so we are hoping there is a way to disable only the transmitter antenna and keep everything but OnStar functional.
Ok thank you
Old 04-09-2024, 04:20 PM   #135
Rnovrit

Drives: 2018 NFG ZL1-1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by jollymon View Post
If you have a correctly designed/made 50ohm termination (and the cable/adapter to it as well) it WILL NOT radiate. If either the coax cable, connectors, or 50ohm termination are not correctly made, it will radiate a little as mentioned above.

True on both accounts Jollymon and Curr. I added a roll of 1" copper tape (think Faraday cage) to my order to add a second layer to help prevent any signal from pushing through. Hope this all works.
Rnovrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2024, 06:15 PM   #136
CalgaryZL1

Drives: 2020 Chevy Camaro ZL1
Quote:
This is why I suggest the non-cable adaptor, to reduce antennae possibilities coming off the module. At work we have long range radios in our trucks that do not work very well if the antennae is not the right calibration i.e. length
CalgaryZL1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2024, 07:04 PM   #137
arpad_m

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS A8
Silly question, because back in the day I barely passed the (brutally difficult) electromagnetic field theory exam at the university, but how do you guys know what the correct antenna length for maximum attenuation is? Did you do any calculations?

One product mentioned above has a longer cable, the other one is a stub, but they both have specific lengths, and wouldn't even an inch or two matter a lot at these frequencies?

Magnuson TVS 2300 80mm pulley | Kooks 1 7/8" LT headers | JRE smooth idle terminator cam | LT4 FS & injectors | TSP forged pistons & rods
JMS PowerMAX | DSX flex fuel kit | Roto-Fab CAI | Soler 95mm LT5 TB | 1LE wheels | 1LE brakes | BMR rear cradle lockout | JRE custom tune

1100 - 1/30/18 | 2000 - 1/31/18
3000 - 2/06/18 TPW 2/26/18
3400 - 2/19/18 | 3800 - 2/26/18
4300 - 2/27/18 | 4B00 - 3/01/18
4200 - 3/05/18 | 4800 - 3/14/18
5000 - 3/16/18 | 6000 - 3/19/18
arpad_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2024, 07:15 AM   #138
Curr

Quote:
True on both accounts Jollymon and Curr. I added a roll of 1" copper tape (think Faraday cage) to my order to add a second layer to help prevent any signal from pushing through. Hope this all works.
Stop the presses, copper tape probably not a good solution... read on.

Quote:
Ok, so I just spoke to an expert, and if you don't want to believe me, that's cool, but I know what I don't know, but I do know who to ask. This guy is "the guy" in our division (very large company, aerospace and defense sector). Patent holder, innovator in inertial guidance and telemetrics, and currently working on a lot of next-generation stuff that the "prime" defense contracting companies are very interested in. He's the real deal. Yes, I'm being purposely vague.

That said, the trace from the signal source, to the end of the PCB still counts as an antenna, and will absolutely radiate signal even "correctly terminated" (which we are just assuming it's 50 ohms...) which is probably why gatormaro saw limited connections occasionally.

He said that copper tape / shielding may not be a great idea due to it could actually increase the radiation pattern (my words mangling his explanation) and might not attenuate it at all. He explained to me some examples of antennas he'd built using layering of copper which helped propagate the waves instead of attenuate them.

Eccosorb, an very common energy isolation barrier, is perfect for this type of thing.

He also said, without looking at the board, in general, a good idea could be just AC coupling the signal to ground at it's origin, and at the edge of the pcb with something like 100pF to 1000pF cap.

So once I pull this thing and see what kind of space I have to play with, I'll have a better idea of what I'm going to try. But we have a tons of Eccosorb at work that I can probably snag some to try out.

كافر
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
железобетонное очко
There is an unequal amount of good and bad in most things, the trick is to work out the ratio and act accordingly.
Old 04-10-2024, 07:19 AM   #139
Curr

Quote:
Originally Posted by arpad_m View Post
Silly question, because back in the day I barely passed the (brutally difficult) electromagnetic field theory exam at the university, but how do you guys know what the correct antenna length for maximum attenuation is? Did you do any calculations?

One product mentioned above has a longer cable, the other one is a stub, but they both have specific lengths, and wouldn't even an inch or two matter a lot at these frequencies?
I'd assume first thing you'd have to figure out what the signal frequency is...

Is the car using 4G? LTE?

Which network is it piggy-backing onto? AT&T? Verizon? Other?

Once you know that stuff then I'd assume you can back calculate your appropriate wavelength information?

Or course, I could be completely off base

Once again, I'm an EE, but I am *not* an antenna / e-mag / fields guy. But throw a rock here and I can hit 10 of them

So I think this might be why my friend said just AC coupling the signal to ground at the origin and edge of the PCB might be easiest.

EDIT:
Some quick Google'ing looks like OnStar uses AT&T 4G LTE network which looks to be from ~700MHz to ~2.5GHz.

كافر
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
железобетонное очко

Last edited by Curr; 04-10-2024 at 08:24 AM.