Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Bigwormgraphix

Old 08-20-2018, 12:10 PM   #113
Prodogs

Drives: 2017 2ss
Interesting

Interesting
Attached Images

Prodogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 12:13 PM   #114
fastball
Banned

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
In a legal perspective...its hard to say what can happen here - The exhaust is LEGAL, but if an HOA gets involved, even without legal grounds they can make your life a living hell. I'm speaking from experience here. They can even foreclose your home and you will have to go to court and prove the exhaust was legal and even at that, it is still a Judges decision. When I imply that, you must know, a Judge does not care about the car world we live in, nor does the rest of the legal system. This is a hobby WE hold to value, the rest of the world couldnt give 2 F's.

Given this is an ELDERLY who is likely already miserable, pressing on to intentionally irritate him would NOT be a good idea as he likely has the resources, time and means to pursue an unfair case on your behalf.

People keep bringing up the cops but thats a non issue, the HOA is a BIG issue if your community has one.

Personally...I would make no changes UNLESS I found an HOA letter on my door. Then I would talk to an attorney about it.

Just note, you make the bed you sleep on.
No it's not fair..but what I am stating isn't about who is in the right or who is in the wrong.. what I am stating is to becareful, because you can make it a hell of alot worse regardless of who is at or not at fault.

And this is one of the many reasons I'd NEVER live in an HOA community. I own my house, it's my house, my car, and my life. Fck those rules and dues.
fastball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 12:13 PM   #115
JDP Sales

Drives: Chevys at the limit
Start in stealth. If they complain after that, tell them to contact GM.

All the best,

Jared
JDP Sales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 12:34 PM   #116
hotlap

Drives: 20 1LE 2SS M6 Rally Green
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDP Sales View Post
Start in stealth. If they complain after that, tell them to contact GM.

All the best,

Jared
Or start it with the garage door down. Its that simple.

Interesting that I intuitively knew that my car is loud on start up and decided on my own it would be kind to start it with the garage door down. I'm on the right so rule that cause and effect out.

"the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.”
Ronald Reagan -
hotlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 01:27 PM   #117
ecko04

Drives: Too many to list
I see a lot of, “start with garage door closed” comments.

I’m sure this goes without saying but ensure you have proper ventilation. Don’t waste time by sitting there with the garage door closed and gasoline engine running. Carbon monoxide can, and does, kill.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
ecko04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 01:57 PM   #118
Prodogs

Drives: 2017 2ss
Personally - I think its insane to recommend starting your car with the garage door closed.

Not the safest thing to do

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecko04 View Post
I see a lot of, “start with garage door closed” comments.

I’m sure this goes without saying but ensure you have proper ventilation. Don’t waste time by sitting there with the garage door closed and gasoline engine running. Carbon monoxide can, and does, kill.

Prodogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 02:21 PM   #119
fastball
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prodogs View Post
Personally - I think its insane to recommend starting your car with the garage door closed.

I didn’t even respond directly to this suggestion because my response would get me banned from all Internet forums for life.

The Stupidity of people goes beyond words.
Old 08-20-2018, 02:27 PM   #120
Emoto
Sure, why not?

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS, Jeep JKU Rubicon
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastball View Post
You and I think a lot a like, but you - and the guy this whole thread is about - have ZERO right to tell people to quiet their exhaust when it's 100% legal.

THAT'S what creates enemy neighbors, not the 100% LEGAL exhaust!!! Get that through your thick skull.

20 years ago then 70 year old, WWII vet Grandfather thought the guy next door getting a new driveway eased on his property so he layed down on the gravel when the cement truck came to prevent him from pouring it. Guy called the police, they came and told him to get up and go home or he'd go to jail. Well, they took him to jail. Meanwhile the guy next door got his driveway poured. After years of court battles and property surveys that my Grandfather fought it turns out everything was fine. He went to his grave hating his neighbor, making faces at him through the kitchen window when he pulled in the drive, and insisting he got screwed by his lawyer, the judge, and the neighbor. But he did not. There were no problems with the property, title, or deed.
No worries, man. I was irritated and had had too much coffee, so I went off on you a bit. I apologize for that.

You are 100% correct that they have no legal right to tell (or make) you to do anything when you are running a legal exhaust. But, they can ask if you will. It is asking, not telling. The answer can be "no". There is no legal need to comply or even to respond.

Awesome story about your grandfather!

My whole point was sort of about trying one's best to get along with the neighbors, because in the long run, that seems to work out best. My neighborhood is a mix of young and old and everything in between. My across the street neighbors are both retired within the past 2 years. Good people. My garage faces their house. I have no idea what time of day they rise, but I had them in mind when I decided to always start the SS with the door closed until it quiets down. I LOVE how it sounds, though. When the door is closed and I start it, I think some sound bounces back toward me and it sounds even better, LOL.

It might well irritate me to receive a note like the OP did, but I would still try to see what I could do. Given his posts, it sounds like he is being a responsible neighbor and trying to do his best. My hat is off to him.
Old 08-20-2018, 02:59 PM   #121
67rstbkt

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS, 1967 Firebird
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emoto View Post
It might well irritate me to receive a note like the OP did, but I would still try to see what I could do. Given his posts, it sounds like he is being a responsible neighbor and trying to do his best. My hat is off to him.

Thank you sir - I would much prefer to make the attempt. I'm more perturbed that this person wrote this strange and somewhat stalkish letter rather than simply speaking with me.
Even with today's emissions, starting a car with the door closed seems like a bad idea to me, especially with a kid in the house, no matter how potentially low the risk. I mean, what if I had a heart attack and croaked after starting my car with the door closed and no one realized it? Very low chance of that happening, but you never know. I'll try what others have said with Stealth mode and see where it goes.
67rstbkt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 03:38 PM   #122
fastball
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emoto View Post
No worries, man. I was irritated and had had too much coffee, so I went off on you a bit. I apologize for that.

You are 100% correct that they have no legal right to tell (or make) you to do anything when you are running a legal exhaust. But, they can ask if you will. It is asking, not telling. The answer can be "no". There is no legal need to comply or even to respond.

Awesome story about your grandfather!

My whole point was sort of about trying one's best to get along with the neighbors, because in the long run, that seems to work out best. My neighborhood is a mix of young and old and everything in between. My across the street neighbors are both retired within the past 2 years. Good people. My garage faces their house. I have no idea what time of day they rise, but I had them in mind when I decided to always start the SS with the door closed until it quiets down. I LOVE how it sounds, though. When the door is closed and I start it, I think some sound bounces back toward me and it sounds even better, LOL.

I have no problem being friends with neighbors. And if you’re friends you casually ask to hear the exhaust. Of course I’ll show you. Let you hear it. Then you figure out in your mind that it is factory, legal, and say nothing about it further.

That way you continue to remain friends with your neighbors.

The letter the OP got would put me on the livid defensive for my entire neighborhood. You just don’t do that.
Old 08-20-2018, 04:01 PM   #123
Need4Camaro

Drives: '17 Camaro 2SS & '99 Camaro Z28
Lets just accept eachothers opinions.

Fastball does have a point that the neighbor does seem a bit twitchy over the matter but I also agree that rubbing it in won't make this situation turn out good (and unnecessarily revving it could very well get you disturbing the peace charges).

I'm the indifferent type. I wouldnt care about starting my car in stealth that early in the morning as I perfectly understand, the SS is fairly modest upon startup.

Case in point. In my apartment my bedroom is 3 floors up. While my car was down for the power steering issues, Chevy gave me a Chevrolet Cruze which also had remote start. When I remote cranked that thing to get the engine warmed up -- I couldnt even hear it at ALL. I literally had to go outside and make sure it was running. When I start my SS though, not only can I HEAR it but my apartment will SHAKE as it cranks.

So far I have had no complaints but my neighbor has a Mustang and there are alot of loud and big trucks that come through here so its just more of the same.

BUT

I can definitely understand the issue at 6am from someone who's not used to louder cars nearby.

Given how modest the SS is at startup, for someone who isnt a car enthusiast it would be easy for them to believe it has an aftermarket exhaust...and I can definitely understand their frustration if they or their children lose sleep over it. We don't live this world only for ourselves..we share it whether we like it or not...a bit of courtesy and respect can go a long way even if its not something we want.
Need4Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 04:11 PM   #124
hotlap

Drives: 20 1LE 2SS M6 Rally Green
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prodogs View Post

The idea is to start it, let it run 30 seconds and go.

"the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.”
Ronald Reagan -
hotlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 04:52 PM   #125
VinnAY
Account Suspended

Drives: 18 1SS/1LE
Of course if you start it up and sit there long enough to be consumed by carbon monoxide it's probably best that you didn't exist on this planet any longer.
VinnAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 05:17 PM   #126
ecko04

Drives: Too many to list
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotlap View Post
The idea is to start it, let it run 30 seconds and go.

Yes, but common sense isn’t so common. I can already see someone rushing and starting it, forgetting they left something in the house, run back in, spend 5 mins looking for something and the whole time carbon monoxide fills the garage and starts seeping into the house. Granted 5 mins probably isn’t enough time for carbon monoxide poisoning to be lethal but it is enough time to give a pretty serious headache and induce nausea.

Best just to assume common sense doesn’t exist.

ecko04 is offline   Reply With Quote