Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 08-07-2018, 12:03 PM   #15
PNYKLR2

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by GroundhogSS View Post
Changing it early is not going to hurt anything. It's probably better for the engine to get the old oil out. My mother-in-law has a Cadillac with free oil changes and they told her to come in when it gets to 20%. I usually don't go over 4000 to 4500 miles.
The reason they say 20% is because the Cadillac free maintenance plan won't pay out unless it's under 20% oil life. They want her to come in at 20% so they see her early more often to try and sell her stuff. Wipers, air filters, cabin filters, etc...Which on the Cadillac she gets one free cabin filter, air filter, as part of that plan. Plus every time she walks in the door is a chance to try and trade her out to something else.

Still recommend you drive it for what it's worth and get use of all of that oil life. Such a waste of money to test it early. Unless it's flat out black oil or you beat the tar out of the car. Drive it on poor roads daily. Like gravel or dirt.

If your fuel gauge said 20% remaining do you run out and fill it up? Most people don't. They drive it until the light comes on. Same thing with oil. It doesn't hurt a thing to get all you can out of it.

Oil doesn't loose it's lubrication properties. No matter how old it gets it's still slick. Oil needs to be changed because it gets dirty and it gets moisture. please please please stop changing early just for giggles. I want the oil of the world to last as long as possibe. I can't imagine how many millions of barrels of oil get wasted every year from 20-30% oil changes. That's fuel for my camaro 20 years from now! lol
Old 08-07-2018, 12:16 PM   #16
Rock-It Man
376 cubic inches of fun

Drives: 2023 Camaro ZL1 A10
The oil life indicator is smarter than a sticker.
Rock-It Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 01:27 PM   #17
Chef-j

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1SS
Oil has 7000 miles on? Or your car has 7k miles.

I dont keep oil for more than 3k miles on performance cars
Only daily keeps at 5~8k miles oil change
Old 08-07-2018, 03:49 PM   #18
LT4Greg

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 Coupe
I usually run my oil to 6500-7000 miles on my SS. I use full synthetic though which seems to last longer than conventional oil.
Old 08-08-2018, 11:21 PM   #19
BIGG_FRANCO

Drives: 2017 camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chef-j View Post
Oil has 7000 miles on? Or your car has 7k miles.

I dont keep oil for more than 3k miles on performance cars

Only daily keeps at 5~8k miles oil change

Car only Has 7000 miles..last change was in March..but car sits in garage and only use on weekends

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
BIGG_FRANCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 08:01 AM   #20
Stex

Drives: 67 goat, 69 goat ram air III
Go by miles and time and driving condition. IE WOT a lot? I run full syn and every 5000-6000 miles. Texas heat stc….AFM still had severe problems...

Screw oil life monitor. Same GM bunch brought us AFM and 8 spd auto convertors...OLM ok for the total automobile air heads...at least they will change oil someday...
Stex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 01:49 PM   #21
TastyBake

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2LT/RS Black
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDRDTD View Post
I'm old school (and just downright old). We used to change our oil every 3,000 miles or so as a rule of thumb.

On my 2013 ZL1, I've always opted to get an oil change whenever the oil monitor shows 50% oil life left, which usually is right around 3,000 miles.

This usually results in 2 oil changes per year or so.

Yes, I could wait till life drops much further and save some money, but I don't mind the cost of two changes per year. Cheap insurance.
While 3k applied for older oils and Dexos detergents that allow for 7k, it appears you're putting 7k per year which does make 2 oil changes per year so its probably a good idea to do it semi-annually since its just sitting there building acid.
TastyBake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 12:02 PM   #22
JCunningham

Drives: 2017 2SS M6
do an oil analysis and you will find that 15% is more like 50%
real ZL1 wheels and brakes, 285/305 Michelin Pilot Super Sports, Pray ported Intake manifold, Soler Throttle Body, Rotofab intake, EFI Tuning Flex fuel kit, full American Racing Headers Exhaust, 1 7/8" w/ cats H pipe and mufflers. Full 1LE suspension, with BMR adjustable sway bars and links, GM aluminum cradle bushings, Hurst shifter with lighter reverse spring, TWM shifter knob, Tick level 1 transmission. I should have bought a ZL1
JCunningham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 12:51 PM   #23
dpevans

Drives: 2024 Riverside Blue 2SS 1LE
there are some pretty smart guys that make up the oil monitor. I have driven highway miles and gone 7,000 but the last one city miles is closer to 4,800. Around 10% it will tell you to change your oil. As long as you are using the dexos approved oil you are provide all the additives your engine needs. There is so much information out there on oil changes and the common thread is your wasting oil and resources if you change it too soon.
dpevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 01:10 PM   #24
JCunningham

dont add additives to your oil just use a good quality full synthetic. they all exceed dexos1 specs.
real ZL1 wheels and brakes, 285/305 Michelin Pilot Super Sports, Pray ported Intake manifold, Soler Throttle Body, Rotofab intake, EFI Tuning Flex fuel kit, full American Racing Headers Exhaust, 1 7/8" w/ cats H pipe and mufflers. Full 1LE suspension, with BMR adjustable sway bars and links, GM aluminum cradle bushings, Hurst shifter with lighter reverse spring, TWM shifter knob, Tick level 1 transmission. I should have bought a ZL1
Old 08-11-2018, 07:06 PM   #25
SDG23

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS M6
Get this, I couldn't drive my SS for close to two months and my oil life went from roughly 15% or so down to 4% and it never got driven, weird. I stared getting OnStar notifications and the dealer emailing me, so I just reset it ... I'll change it out in a few months, I don't drive it much anyways.
Old 08-14-2018, 02:05 AM   #26
BIGG_FRANCO

Drives: 2017 camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDG23 View Post
Get this, I couldn't drive my SS for close to two months and my oil life went from roughly 15% or so down to 4% and it never got driven, weird. I stared getting OnStar notifications and the dealer emailing me, so I just reset it ... I'll change it out in a few months, I don't drive it much anyways.

Yea like it almost drops down on its own..wonder what it really means

BIGG_FRANCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 04:27 AM   #27
crosive

Drives: 18 zl1
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGG_FRANCO View Post
Yea like it almost drops down on its own..wonder what it really means

Time is just one of the things it uses to calculate. If you changed your oil and let it sit for a year or so, itd be back to 0%
crosive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 09:52 AM   #28
JCunningham

its recommended by all manufacturers that you change your oil at least once a year. If you let your car sit for 1 year with out driving it it would be at 0%