Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Specific Packages / Variants > 6th gen Camaro Convertible

Bigwormgraphix

Old 02-11-2020, 05:31 PM   #1
2ndCamaro1stGen6

Drives: 2017 SS Convertible, Black
Need a Part Number please

Friends, I just bought my second Camaro, first gen 6. I upgraded from the LT to the SS and am pretty excited about it. I bought it used and it is missing this piece. It is a plastic cap that is mirrored on the both sides of the car and is visible when the convertible top is down. I have spend quite a bit of time looking at part diagrams but have not been able to find the piece to purchase a replacement. Can anyone ID the piece/part number for me? Many thanks.
Attached Images

2ndCamaro1stGen6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 05:36 PM   #2
kropscamaro16

Drives: 2016 1ss camaro
hit up matt at wild hammer im sure he can help!

https://wildhammermotorsports.com/
Old 02-11-2020, 07:15 PM   #3
Jb54

Drives: 2019 Camaro SS M6
Hi. I will try to help you. I looked your part up on gm parts now website. I put in for a 2017 Camaro SS.(Didn't know your year, but it'll be the same 16-18.) On the website navigate to Body, then sub category Interior trim convertible top, then look at item#5. I believe this to be the piece you are looking for.
Side molding
Left #84171869
Right #84171870
You may also need the clip. Check it out and see what you think. I hope this helps.

Last edited by Jb54; 02-11-2020 at 07:17 PM. Reason: Add
Jb54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 08:23 PM   #4
17rsvert

Drives: 2017 HBM 2LT RS Convertible V6 A8
I had those replaced under warranty on both sides. There is no part number available for just that rectangular cover; it is part of the assembly (which includes the entire cover next to the rear seats) in which it slides. The cover gets pushed open on curved tracks by the top mechanism when the top goes up. When the top opens, a coil spring (like in a tape measure) slides the cover up and back and closes the opening.
From what I understand, there was a redesign to the entire cover which added an extra clip to make it less likely to flex and break. As part of the redesign, the rear window regulators were also redesigned to accept the new clips, so the regulators must also be replaced.
You didn't mention your year or warranty status. If you are under warranty, just get it fixed at a dealer.
17rsvert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 08:38 PM   #5
17rsvert

Drives: 2017 HBM 2LT RS Convertible V6 A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jb54 View Post
Hi. I will try to help you. I looked your part up on gm parts now website. I put in for a 2017 Camaro SS.(Didn't know your year, but it'll be the same 16-18.) On the website navigate to Body, then sub category Interior trim convertible top, then look at item#5. I believe this to be the piece you are looking for.
Side molding
Left #84171869
Right #84171870
You may also need the clip. Check it out and see what you think. I hope this helps.
I don't believe those are the correct parts. Check these, but I don't know if these are the original or redesigned parts.

Upper Quarter Trim - GM (84397869) right
Upper Quarter Trim - GM (84397871) left
17rsvert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 08:55 PM   #6
somedude

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1LT Convertible Auto V6
https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=531151
somedude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 01:34 PM   #7
2ndCamaro1stGen6

Thank you all for your help! It is a 2017 and it is not under warranty unfortunately. I assumed it was just a plastic cover but it is sounding like it is quite a bit more involved than that.
Old 02-12-2020, 01:40 PM   #8
drewspr00

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS Convertible A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ndCamaro1stGen6 View Post
Thank you all for your help! It is a 2017 and it is not under warranty unfortunately. I assumed it was just a plastic cover but it is sounding like it is quite a bit more involved than that.
Try taking it to a dealer anyway, I just took my 2016 2SS in that is out of warranty to the dealership for an oil change, and when I dropped it off, I asked them to take a look at it, order what parts were needed, and give me a quote on what it would take to fix. When I picked my car up, they handed me the keys and told me they had the parts in stock and fixed it for no charge. I'm sure it depends on the dealership and how they feel that day, but I was fully expecting to pay for this repair and they surprised me.
drewspr00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 01:47 PM   #9
2ndCamaro1stGen6

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewspr00 View Post
Try taking it to a dealer anyway, I just took my 2016 2SS in that is out of warranty to the dealership for an oil change, and when I dropped it off, I asked them to take a look at it, order what parts were needed, and give me a quote on what it would take to fix. When I picked my car up, they handed me the keys and told me they had the parts in stock and fixed it for no charge. I'm sure it depends on the dealership and how they feel that day, but I was fully expecting to pay for this repair and they surprised me.
I will do. Thanks for the tip. They might be a little nicer in Huntsville, but it's worth a shot.
Old 02-13-2020, 12:00 AM   #10
lcd550

Drives: '17 2LT/RS 2.0T M6 50th Anniv Vert
Quote:
Not sure if you had chance to read thru any of the other posts on this issue.
Here's a link to the TSB. It shows the parts that need to be replaced.

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/20...39149-9999.pdf

Good Luck and post up on how it turns out!
lcd550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 11:30 AM   #11
2ndCamaro1stGen6

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcd550 View Post
Not sure if you had chance to read thru any of the other posts on this issue.
Here's a link to the TSB. It shows the parts that need to be replaced.

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/20...39149-9999.pdf

Good Luck and post up on how it turns out!
Thank you so much for that. I am going to try taking that "Service Bulletin" to a dealership and see if they will just do it. If not, DIY it is.
Old 02-14-2020, 04:07 PM   #12
2ndCamaro1stGen6

As an update, I went into a local dealership with the service bulletin and everyone there asked how I had a copy of it. Felt a little like I had something I wasn't supposed to have. Anyway, I got the parts department to sell me the part (which they had in stock I assume because of how common this problem is). Then I drove over to the service department and just asked one of the techs about the part. He helped me get the old piece off and get the new one fitted in right there in the parking lot. In retrospect it would have been fairly simple to do myself except for the part where he connected this little rod to the plastic flap that retracts when the top goes up. That seemed to take some know-how...but I think I would have figured it out eventually. All in all, it cost me $80 and about 20 minutes. As far as car fixes go, it was about as easy as it gets. Thanks to everyone on this forum. You guys were very helpful.

Last edited by 2ndCamaro1stGen6; 02-14-2020 at 04:08 PM. Reason: typos
Old 02-15-2020, 12:22 AM   #13
lcd550

Drives: '17 2LT/RS 2.0T M6 50th Anniv Vert
Quote:
As an update, I went into a local dealership with the service bulletin and everyone there asked how I had a copy of it. Felt a little like I had something I wasn't supposed to have. Anyway, I got the parts department to sell me the part (which they had in stock I assume because of how common this problem is). Then I drove over to the service department and just asked one of the techs about the part. He helped me get the old piece off and get the new one fitted in right there in the parking lot. In retrospect it would have been fairly simple to do myself except for the part where he connected this little rod to the plastic flap that retracts when the top goes up. That seemed to take some know-how...but I think I would have figured it out eventually. All in all, it cost me $80 and about 20 minutes. As far as car fixes go, it was about as easy as it gets. Thanks to everyone on this forum. You guys were very helpful.
That's great news!!! Camaro6 is a great forum that I have learned a lot from.

I believe the TSB is public information, so it's not big deal that you have it.
lcd550 is offline   Reply With Quote