Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

AWE Tuning

Old 11-21-2023, 09:15 AM   #1
John Blue SS

Drives: 2020 Camaro SS 1LE
Yokohama AD09?

Yokohama AD09s are now available in the SS 1LE OEM fitment sizes:
285/30R20 & 305/30R20.

Does anybody have any experience with these tires?
How do they compare to GY SC3s?

My typical use is autox & track days; have been running the Goodyear SuperCar 3.Any thoughts on whether the AD09s are worth trying vs the SC3? AD09s are about $300 more for a set of 4.
John Blue SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2023, 10:23 AM   #2
Msquared

Drives: Chevrolet SS 1LE
I was just typing this in another thread: based on inference from Tire Rack testing, they seem pretty similar in grip and performance to the Continental EC Force, and they are probably similar to the SC3 as well. What's not clear is if they last as long, but one would expect that they do since this is the reason they don't have quite as much grip as an all-out autocross/time-trial tire like the A052.
Old 11-26-2023, 01:12 PM   #3
Joey Soul
The Mechanic

Drives: 1SS M
I have the 305/30 r19 ad08r on my camaro and 245-305 20s ad09 on my 2018 911. Ive never run on gysc3 but for the advans the ad08r is a time trial tire. Its good for about 10 -15 min of hot lapping depending on your driving style before they over heat and get greasy. The ad09 is much more stable and consistent, ive noticed it likes higher tire pressures then other 200tw tires. Other then that good rain performance, low wear and smooth break away, granted the car its on is 3100lb.
BTR 225 w/CNC Heads|JLT intake|Speed Engineering 1"7/8 long tube and mid pipe|LT2 manifold w/95mmTb|Self tuned w/HPtuners|Silvers 2Way coilovers|Hotchkis front sway|Advan AD08R|BMR solid cradle bushings|Recaro SR7| Work ZR10 19"
Joey Soul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2023, 09:42 AM   #4
John Blue SS

Thanks! Good info on the characteristics & air pressure. I might be a guinea pig & try a set if I can get a reasonable price vs the goodyears.
Old 02-20-2024, 03:15 PM   #5
TRZ06

Drives: 22' Porsche PDK GT4
Here is my opinion on them on my 718 GT4...

A little background first...

I loved the SC3's on my SS 1LE and I HATED both the OEM options on my GT4, so I put the SC3's on and WOW what a difference. They are for sure an underrated tire that hits way above its weight class and is sticker than its 220 TW rating leads you to believe.

Anyhow, after going thru my first set on my GT4, they became vaporware (and still are) with perpetual backorder status.

Thank God that the AD09's became avail. as they use the same philosophy in their construction. They also use a 3rd ply belt with a high turn-up for increased sidewall stiffness.

I just went thru my first set and just ordered a new set this week.

Please keep in mind my comparison is based on aggressive street use and not track.

So, now on to my comparison of the two...

1.) Both have VERY similar levels of grip. At least on the GT4 platform, the SC'3 have just a tad more ultimate grip, but they are VERY close.

2.) Both handle heat well and have a wide operating window.

3.) The SC3's have slighter better cold grip

4.) I wore both the SC3's and the AD09's way past the wear bars in the rear to almost a slick and BOTH retained 95% of their grip all the way down.

5.) They both have a sharp/direct initial turn-in, thanks to their sidewall stiffness.

In summary, they are almost a carbon copy of each other and any differences are very minor. They both feel/drive very similar as well.

If you are looking for more grip or a different driving feel, then I would skip the AD09's and stick with the SC3's. For more grip, you need to move to the Super 200 options, like A052's, RE71RS, and RT-660's. The AD09's are an "endurance" 200 TW tire.

I hope this helps.

Previous:
18' NFG 2SS 1LE (ZL1 1LE solid rear cradle bushings & Corsa Exhaust)
16' F80 M3 (Ohlin R/T Coilovers)
13' Audi TTRS (APR Stage 1, MSS Springs)
09' C6 Z06
08' E90 M3
06' 335i (KW V2 Coilovers)
03' C5 Z06
TRZ06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2024, 09:38 AM   #6
John Blue SS

Thanks TRZ06. Very detailed & informative review of your experiences with both the SC3 & AD09. For this year, I'm sticking with the SC3s because I only needed a set of front tires. I'll try & sell a set of OEM 20" rims & switch to rims that allow more tire options for next year.
Old Yesterday, 02:25 PM   #7
italia366

Drives: 2022 Camaro 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRZ06 View Post
Here is my opinion on them on my 718 GT4...

A little background first...

I loved the SC3's on my SS 1LE and I HATED both the OEM options on my GT4, so I put the SC3's on and WOW what a difference. They are for sure an underrated tire that hits way above its weight class and is sticker than its 220 TW rating leads you to believe.

Anyhow, after going thru my first set on my GT4, they became vaporware (and still are) with perpetual backorder status.

Thank God that the AD09's became avail. as they use the same philosophy in their construction. They also use a 3rd ply belt with a high turn-up for increased sidewall stiffness.

I just went thru my first set and just ordered a new set this week.

Please keep in mind my comparison is based on aggressive street use and not track.

So, now on to my comparison of the two...

1.) Both have VERY similar levels of grip. At least on the GT4 platform, the SC'3 have just a tad more ultimate grip, but they are VERY close.

2.) Both handle heat well and have a wide operating window.

3.) The SC3's have slighter better cold grip

4.) I wore both the SC3's and the AD09's way past the wear bars in the rear to almost a slick and BOTH retained 95% of their grip all the way down.

5.) They both have a sharp/direct initial turn-in, thanks to their sidewall stiffness.

In summary, they are almost a carbon copy of each other and any differences are very minor. They both feel/drive very similar as well.

If you are looking for more grip or a different driving feel, then I would skip the AD09's and stick with the SC3's. For more grip, you need to move to the Super 200 options, like A052's, RE71RS, and RT-660's. The AD09's are an "endurance" 200 TW tire.

I hope this helps.
Sorry to resurrect this thread but just wanted to grab an opinion on these tires. Ive liked my SC3 tires overall, but now with 5500 miles on them and 2 track days, they've suddenly become really loud on road noise between 25-45 mph, to the point that it makes me want to look into other tires. However, I like the fact that they're a solid cross between street and track performance.

Do you think the AD09's fit the same bill as the SC3's for the SS 1LE?
italia366 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 08:42 PM   #8
TRZ06

Drives: 22' Porsche PDK GT4
Quote:
Originally Posted by italia366 View Post
Sorry to resurrect this thread but just wanted to grab an opinion on these tires. Ive liked my SC3 tires overall, but now with 5500 miles on them and 2 track days, they've suddenly become really loud on road noise between 25-45 mph, to the point that it makes me want to look into other tires. However, I like the fact that they're a solid cross between street and track performance.

Do you think the AD09's fit the same bill as the SC3's for the SS 1LE?
No clue as I never had them on my SS 1LE. I have only had both on my GT4.

My gut tells me that the SC3's will be better. The SS 1LE is a heavy car and the sidewalls are just a bit stiffer on the SC3's and the car is designed around those tires.

Previous:
18' NFG 2SS 1LE (ZL1 1LE solid rear cradle bushings & Corsa Exhaust)
16' F80 M3 (Ohlin R/T Coilovers)
13' Audi TTRS (APR Stage 1, MSS Springs)
09' C6 Z06
08' E90 M3
06' 335i (KW V2 Coilovers)
03' C5 Z06
TRZ06 is offline   Reply With Quote