Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Specific Packages / Variants > 6th gen Camaro Convertible

AWE Tuning

Old 03-27-2020, 05:44 PM   #15
FarmerFran

Drives: 2023 ZL1 Vert M6 "Sharky"
Quote:
Originally Posted by 17rsvert View Post
Redesigned? Yes.
Problem fixed? Maybe...
I sure hope so.
FarmerFran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 12:01 AM   #16
MSTRISS

Drives: 2016 2SS Convertible 1980 Z28
Did you ever post an update? This happened to my passenger side while under the bumper to bumper last September. The dealer replaced the whole setup w/rear window reg. Today the driver side let go at 39,395mi and will have to wait till Monday to see what my dealer has to say seeing there is a TSB for this issue and they serviced the other side not even 3500mi ago.
I also use my top a lot and find it discouraging how many people are having this issue with the tops.
MSTRISS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2020, 04:14 PM   #17
srhill44

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin_S17 View Post
Went to the dealer and was told that this has happened enough that there is a TSB for it. Also, there is a “kit” they ordered. When it gets replaced I will post the info from the service invoice.
So this happen to me as well. Found this thread & went off to the dealer. Shared the same info with the TSB & correction kit. Out of warranty for me & was quoted worst case scenario of $1600. Wanted to see what others were paying if not under bumper to bumper.

Cheers
Steve
srhill44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2020, 10:21 PM   #18
Chutzpah

Drives: Wild Cherry LT1
Quote:
Originally Posted by srhill44 View Post
So this happen to me as well. Found this thread & went off to the dealer. Shared the same info with the TSB & correction kit. Out of warranty for me & was quoted worst case scenario of $1600. Wanted to see what others were paying if not under bumper to bumper.

Cheers
Steve
The new style flapper panel has an extra plastic support. As part of the TSB, the rear window regulators need to be changed. If you don’t want to pay $1600 dollars, forget about the window regulator and snip off the extra support on the new flapper. Replace and be done with it for a few years. $1600 is a rip off...
Chutzpah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2020, 07:24 AM   #19
17rsvert

Drives: 2017 HBM 2LT RS Convertible V6 A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chutzpah View Post
The new style flapper panel has an extra plastic support. As part of the TSB, the rear window regulators need to be changed. If you don’t want to pay $1600 dollars, forget about the window regulator and snip off the extra support on the new flapper. Replace and be done with it for a few years. $1600 is a rip off...
In case you're wondering what the windows have to do with it, the 'fix' for the problem was to add another clip to the top trim piece that contains the sliding cover. The extra clip limits the amount of flex the trim piece sees, lessening the chance of damage to the sliding cover. That clip goes into a redesigned window regulator beneath the trim piece, which has an additional slot to hold the added clip. If you do not replace the regulators also, there is no additional support for the new trim pieces.

I believe I saw new GM trim piece assemblies with the sliding cover available on line for about 80 to 90 bucks each. I have taken mine off and on and it is definitely something that does not require a trip to a mechanic. But a DIY window regulator swap will depend on your level mechanical ability. I've done them before on other cars, it's not impossible.
17rsvert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 08:46 PM   #20
classicrockr
Pills are for Pansies

Drives: 2023 2SS Red Hot Vert Camaro
Mine have been fine for 2 years. Now the passenger panel is loose; i can push the edge closest to the cab down easily & it doesnt sit flush when i put the top down. I hope its just the spring.
Attached Images

classicrockr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 09:16 AM   #21
Nitefall17

Drives: Camaro 1SS A8 Vert
I ordered on off of Ebay, changed it in like 5 mins.....
Nitefall17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2020, 09:09 PM   #22
classicrockr
Pills are for Pansies

Drives: 2023 2SS Red Hot Vert Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitefall17 View Post
Got any tips / instructions for installing?
classicrockr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2020, 09:21 PM   #23
Jonster

Drives: 18 2SS Vert Hotwheels
Quote:
Originally Posted by classicrockr View Post
Mine have been fine for 2 years. Now the passenger panel is loose; i can push the edge closest to the cab down easily & it doesnt sit flush when i put the top down. I hope its just the spring.
Mine does the same thing. I just push it down and it’s just fine. Instead of messing with it, I’m completely fine just doing that. These tops are one of those “if it ain’t broke don’t fix it” kind of deals. Too many horror stories of tops getting fixed a ton after the first tweak.
Old 02-12-2022, 06:08 AM   #24
Ssvertlife

Drives: 2017 Silver SS Convertible
Change sliding door

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitefall17 View Post

What’s up bro I know this is old but do you have the steps on how to change the sliding door on the convertibles?
Ssvertlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2022, 01:03 PM   #25
Vico07

Drives: Chevrolet Camaro 2017 2LT convertib
Fixed it with 3D printed part today. Will see how long this will last.

Video https://youtu.be/cC_HHrBk0dc

Attached Images

Last edited by Vico07; 04-06-2022 at 01:07 PM. Reason: added pics
Vico07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2022, 10:06 PM   #26
Vamonos

Drives: 2018 Suburban 2008 Subaru 2017 Cam
Are these tops really that problematic? Wondering if it's worth buying an extended warranty?
Vamonos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2022, 09:17 PM   #27
17rsvert

Drives: 2017 HBM 2LT RS Convertible V6 A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vamonos View Post
Are these tops really that problematic? Wondering if it's worth buying an extended warranty?
If the sliding covers fail, it does not prevent the top from operating, I would consider it an annoying cosmetic issue. The parts are not extremely expensive, and can be changed out by anyone with moderate mechanical ability. It would be hard to justify the cost of an extended warranty just to cover this potential problem. I have had no problems with the repaired redesigned parts, an no additional problems with my top.
17rsvert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2022, 04:39 AM   #28
truckrglenn

Drives: Chevy camaro
And still, no one has posted a part number
truckrglenn is offline   Reply With Quote