Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 06-18-2019, 11:08 PM   #1
MikeM2015

Drives: 2015 Camaro lt
Blown rear end 2015 stock lt with 71k miles need help

My rear axle seals blew. Had them replaced under third party warranty and a week later my mechanic told me I blew the rear end. Inhave only had the car for 6k miles. I only drive it to work which is a mile away and took it on a 250 Mile round trip to Flagstaff and back. The fastest I have had the car was 90. Long story short, there are not any rear ends in Az for that car and dealer says they dont make it any longer.

I still have a third party warranty, but I want anyone with experience with these cars to give me some advice as to what I should accept from the warranty company. For example, is a used one acceptable? Should I fight for a new part? I know not much about cars. This is the first car like this i have ever owned and it seems like it is not holding up.

Can someone please give me some advice on the rear end and possibly what I should demand/beg for from the warranty company.

Thank you.

2015 stock Lt 6 cyl 71k in miles bought used from dealer with 65k on it.
MikeM2015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 11:13 PM   #2
InFiD3ViL

Drives: 2010 CGM 2SS/RS LS3 Swapped A6
Do you have any information on who owned it previous to you? Like a car rental company?

Sorry to hear that man, bad luck. I would search the local junk yards. pull one from a wrecked Camaro and have a shop swap it in for you if you aren't comfortable with that type of work.
I don't care what anyone says. Those 3rd party warranty providers are going to fight tooth and nail to NOT fix the car, and if they do, they will pinch every penny until you can't recognize ole' Abe anymore. I think most of the providers are not obligated to supply new parts and you will likely wind up with a reman, which can be fine.
2010 CGM Camaro 2SS LS3 Swapped A6 - GPI LS3 SS1 .647/.638, (224/237, 112 +4, 7º overlap) on CamMotion 8620 core, BTR Platinum .660" Dual Spring kit w/titanium retainers, CHE bronze trunnion upgrade, stock heads milled @ .015, Melling HV 10296 oil pump, TSP 1-7/8" long tube headers (W/Catless Off-road Pipes), Corsa Xtreme 3" Catback, GPI Ported/Rod Mod Intake, Stage 2 Ported Throttle Body, Vararam OTR CAI, Mike Norris Gen 2 catch can + GM 1LE clean side separator, 160º thermostat - Megan Racing adjustable coilovers (lowered 1.75"), MRR M017 10/11" wheels-Tuned by Ryan @ GPI
InFiD3ViL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 11:48 PM   #3
MikeM2015

According to the contract they will fix it. I have to pay the deductible but it is cheap compared to the rest of the cost. My mechanic called every junkyard in az. He said he has a parts locator trying to find one. Does this seem to be a common problem? Again, I dont know much about cars but this seems odd. Why would Chevy not make them any longer?

Thanks for getting back to me as well. I dont know who owned it before me? If I can find out, how would I use that information?

Thanks again.
Old 06-19-2019, 08:03 AM   #4
Benman

Drives: 13 IOM 2ss RS manual
Chevy changed the rear ends I think beginning with the '16's, but there are locators nation wide that will have the unit (used) you are looking for. I would inquire about have your rear end rebuilt. As long as the housing isn't damaged everything else can be bought new.
Old 06-19-2019, 09:37 AM   #5
152LTRockin
Account Suspended

Drives: 15 2lt RS Top Gun Camaro
I seen a few on Ebay for sale. I'd really question the fact someone worked on it and then it failed. You may want to find a shop that only does rear work and have them repair it. When you say BLEW what happened to it?
152LTRockin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 09:53 AM   #6
MikeM2015

Thank you for the advice. The mechanic said "blew". There was oil leaking, the car was making a whining noise, and it was making a very loud clunking noise. He put it on a lift and started looking around and he can move the whole thing with his hands. He showed me that he could wiggle it about 3 or 4 inches back and forth. I am guessing about how far but it seemed like that.

Are the rea axels seals part of the rear end? Would they have gone bad again? My assumption, again I am a virgin with this language, was that it was the "stuff" inside that broke. Why he can move it so much is beyond me. But he definitely said the stuff inside was damaged. I really do trust him. He has done a good job on all my cars for years. Is this a hard thing to either fix, or just buy the whole thing altogether and bolt on for lack of better terminology?

Thanks again!
Old 06-19-2019, 09:55 AM   #7
MikeM2015

Does anyone know if this is a common problem? Or did I just hit the lottery of crappy cars?
Old 06-19-2019, 10:58 AM   #8
Greenhornet2

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS LS3 Whipple
Sounds like the leaking seals caused the diff to run low, or out of fluid, that in turn fried the bearings likely. They can be rebuilt by a knowledgeable mechanic, if they aren't they will just ruin the new bearings and gears. If you have a contract I would fight for new, I am sure there are some in stock somewhere and can be found. I wouldn't go with junkyard, I would rebuild before that.
Greenhornet2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 11:44 AM   #9
MikeM2015

Thank you for the advice. I am waiting to hear my options before I fight. But, I am ready to fight. I had the Chevy dealer try to find a new on and they said there isnt one in the United States. Rebuild with new parts before junk yard. Got it. Thanks.
Old 06-19-2019, 11:50 AM   #10
152LTRockin
Account Suspended

IMO quickest way out of this mess is 1st of all go to a different shop. No one that would know anything would put seals in a bad rear assembly. 2nd go on ebay find a reputable seller and buy a low mileage used rear. Prolly in the 2-5 hundred range. take it to a reputable shop and have it installed.

If someone put seals in my rear and it broke a few miles later we would be discussing how much money they owe me.
Old 06-19-2019, 11:56 AM   #11
152LTRockin
Account Suspended

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Rear-Differ...MAAOSwwPRcHVss here ya go less than 300 bucks
Old 06-19-2019, 12:16 PM   #12
MikeM2015

Thank you for the advice and the link. I really appreciate it.
Old 06-19-2019, 02:32 PM   #13
PepeLePew

Drives: 2010 2SS Coupe; 2011 2LT Vert
Nice find 152LT! And I agree, Mike should talk to the guy that put the seals in since he may be at fault.

Mike - is your car manual or auto? If it is manual, and it is just a ring and pinion that overheated and broke, you should look into putting a 3.73 or 3.91 set in there for better acceleration. In an auto, the lowest you could go is 3.55 I think but you'll feel the difference. If it is more damage than a $250-$300 ring and pinion and you arent into the quicker acceleration, then 152LT has some good advice.
Old 06-19-2019, 03:02 PM   #14
gringo
Account Suspended

Drives: Camaro V6
I usually don't like to just replace parts (parts changer) if they can be repaired. I'm sure you can replace the seals. However, if the internal parts of the axle are damaged as well, what 'ROCKIN suggested may be the better option. Whatever you decide, if it's a used axle, I'd still replace all the seals anyway just to be safe.
gringo is offline   Reply With Quote