Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

Bigwormgraphix

Old 06-12-2019, 06:48 AM   #29
ZED SLED

Drives: 2017 Mosaic Bk ZL1 M6
$243k seems low for a LEO in Baltimore. Probably safer walking though Afghanistan in fatigues armed with an Airsoft.

ZED SLED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 08:35 AM   #30
BRKGBAD

Drives: my feet
*Editing for privacy*

Last edited by BRKGBAD; 01-10-2023 at 03:18 PM.
BRKGBAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 10:38 AM   #31
Mydivorcegift
Future Mopar Owner

Drives: 2011, 2SS/RS, Synergy
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRKGBAD View Post
This is asinine.

I don't care how many years you have on the force. I know nurses who save lives daily, have 20-40 years on the job and are making less than half of that. People go to school for 8 or 10 years and barely touch $200k.

This is a case of authority abusing the power structure for their own benefit.

This happens in Pittsburgh, too. Some of the top cops here make $175,000+.

No police officer should make more than $100,000 a year. Even that is a stretch, I say 75k.
I am not agreeing with you nor disagreeing. Depending on your stance most people have issue with how much someone else is paid for doing their job. A lot of people "complain" about athletes is the first thing that comes to mind. But I have to ask......

So you are saying saving a life is worth more than risking yours? Just asking...

2011 Camaro SS/RS Synergy-1 of 255-Sold
You will be missed but you are in good hands!

2019 Challenger Hellcat
B5, Redeye, Widebody
Mydivorcegift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 10:57 AM   #32

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
These high salaries occasionally make the news, but they are short lived stories. Remember, it is overtime....some perhaps mandatory, usually voluntary...OT hogs can make a lot of money, but they also put in the hours. It may be due to a temporary vacancy, etc...Try as they might, it is very hard to achieve full staffing and eliminate OT.
The salary may only be part of the story. Believe it or nor, it may be more economical to pay this overtime than to hire more permanent staff with benefits. It doesn't look good, but then again, you aren't the one working those hours, either.
90503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 11:26 AM   #33
bkevind

Drives: 2013 2SS RS 1LE
Quote:
This is asinine.

I don't care how many years you have on the force. I know nurses who save lives daily, have 20-40 years on the job and are making less than half of that. People go to school for 8 or 10 years and barely touch $200k.

No police officer should make more than $100,000 a year. Even that is a stretch, I say 75k.
BS. How much do you make? I'm sure it's way too much because some other people whom I assign some opinionated arbitrary higher value on don't make that much.

OT is OT. If people want to bust their ass and give every possible bit of their time to an hourly job that pays OT, then they have every right to do so and make the money they can make. If this guy did the same amount of work that would normally take 2-3 people, then he should be paid for his time. Why is there that much OT available? Why don't they just hire enough people to begin with?

The most questionable part to me is did he overwork himself to the point of being unsafe on the job due to exhaustion?

I'd ask the same for medical staff that are expected to work ridiculously long shifts "saving" people's lives ... or making mistakes and killing them.
Forgestar CF-5 19x11
bkevind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 12:35 PM   #34
pyroguy
Started#gottalovethatblue

Drives: ABM #831
I do not see how the $243,000 salary has ANYTHING to do with what happened that brought the officer to be charged. It is another income equality plug used to "trigger" people who want to focus on that instead of the alleged misconduct of the event. I say "alleged" simply because he has not been taken to a court of law yet. While public opinion has seemed to become law of the land, a person is still innocent until proven guilty in a court of law. If the officer made a bad judgement call due to working excessive overtime then people above him should be partially to blame. You need to manage your people appropriately so that they do not do stupid stupid actions. If the officer makes good money after 29 years on the force and made that kind of money because his salary is high in combination with overtime and he just made a bad decision, then the consequences lie with him.

Getting back to the $243,000, who cares? An officer in the inner city of Baltimore, should probably make double that with all of the violence and hatred towards police in recent years. As someone else said, they'd be better off in fatigues with an airsoft rifle in Afghanistan than they are on some of the inner city streets of Baltimore.

With regards to MSN, it is owned by Microsoft, who owns Universal pictures, who is a Comcast company, who owns NBC who owns MSNBC. MSN news is MSNBC news, a station documented to be more opinions than new stories. Would I believe this story any more if it was CNN or Fox News? No. Any article about police overstepping their authority that has the officer's salary included into it with zero linking reasons for providing that piece of information loses 100% credibility in my book. Report news, not opinions.
'10 Camaro 2SS/RS | Aqua Blue #831 of 3,903 | Silver Stripes
Check out my build thread
pyroguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 02:52 PM   #35
BRKGBAD

Drives: my feet
*Editing for privacy*

Last edited by BRKGBAD; 01-10-2023 at 03:18 PM.
BRKGBAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 04:04 PM   #36
HsvGts

Drives: ZLJuan
Quote:
Nothing against busting your ass and working OT. I did it for years. My GF still does. I still cannot see the justification in paying a police officer $243,000 a year. Pharmacists at my company top out at 120 with the mandatory overtime my company requires. This cop makes double what someone who dedicated 6-8 years of their life to learn makes.

It's not about me comparing myself or anyone else to him, it's about what is a livable wage and what should be a fair salary for the job they do. Electricians and loggers have more dangerous jobs than police do, and they make less than 1/3rd of what that cop makes.
Like anything else the location has an effect. The cost of living, especially housing in Baltimore is extremely high. I'd bet that their entry level officer is going to make more than in other areas of the country.

Can't agree with your other point. Just because someone chooses to spend extra years in school shouldn't mean they make more money. Being a Pharmacist doesn't sound like a very difficult or demanding job compared to putting your life on the line daily in Baltimore.
2015 335 Msport
2008 Charger Superbee
2006 Jeep Srt8
1976 Corvette L82
2008 Altima coupe
HsvGts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 07:38 PM   #37
KenKat

Drives: 2014 2LT RS Summit White
My guess is that cop is working 100+ hours a week in OT and extra details. Hate the game, not the player. It’s allowed although I think there should be limits on total time worked per week for someone in a public safety position.
KenKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 08:18 PM   #38
pyroguy
Started#gottalovethatblue

Drives: ABM #831
Quote:
Nothing against busting your ass and working OT. I did it for years. My GF still does. I still cannot see the justification in paying a police officer $243,000 a year. Pharmacists at my company top out at 120 with the mandatory overtime my company requires. This cop makes double what someone who dedicated 6-8 years of their life to learn makes.

It's not about me comparing myself or anyone else to him, it's about what is a livable wage and what should be a fair salary for the job they do. Electricians and loggers have more dangerous jobs than police do, and they make less than 1/3rd of what that cop makes.
I can’t say I agree with anything said other than nothing wrong with busting your butt working OT. The fact of the matter is that the officer’s salary is irrelevant to the story. This is simply something brown in to trigger people like yourself in hating this officer because he makes more money than you.

As for pharmacists, their AVERAGE is $120k, not maximum. They should make more than the average person as they need to make sure that the drugs they’re distributing will not interact with others the person may be taking, hence all of the extra schooling. However, a good electrician, plumber, and especially logger can and often times make well into the 6 figures if they just get out and work. They may not hit $243k, but they can get well above $100k.
'10 Camaro 2SS/RS | Aqua Blue #831 of 3,903 | Silver Stripes
Check out my build thread
pyroguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 08:46 AM   #39
mickss

Drives: 2010 Camaro LS-M6 67 Chevelle Wgn
Why is everyone so focused on what he was paid compared to other professions!? He was charged with misconduct, assault and false imprisonment because someone had the audacity to question the officer’s arrest tactics while doing a warrant check! I don`t care how or what he was paid, I`m more concerned about his lack of professionalism, self control and judgement. This is not how good law enforcement officers act! This is how the bad ones act who should never be allowed to wear a badge or carry a gun! So I guess we don`t need to worry about his pay because he is now suspended without pay and being indicted with perjury and misconduct charges.......GOOD!!!
https://www.baltimoresun.com/news/cr...529-story.html
mickss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 02:36 PM   #40
BMR Sales

Drives: Race Car
probably because it's not shocking to hear of a PO Bad Behavior, but I think it was a Shock to see the Dollar Amount he was pulling down.
BMR Sales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 07:23 PM   #41
CamaroDreams76
Tri-County Camaro SWFL

Drives: 2013 IOM 2SS/RS/1LE
Quote:
This is asinine.

Police save lives every day......... they are FIRST RESPONDERS..... Typically they arrive before the fire dept or EMTs. Especially before the nurses.

Police learn something new every single day. The day they stop learning is the day they die or quit/retire. That's 20+ years. No school, college, academy ect, can adequately prepare or train for what they will do or see.

Police are under tremendous scrutiny from the general public and are vastly hated. Police are yelled at, belittled, threatened, have their families lives threatened, have people attempt to urinate on them, attempt to deficate on them, actually get urinated on or have feces thrown at them, get attacked, get ambushed, have guns pointed at them, get shot at...... just because of the uniform they wear. I'm not exactly sure you can put any numerical value on that. Not to mention they get killed nearly daily now. MANY MANY cops do it for MUCH less. The average where I'm at for a LE Deputy is about 43k. Work for the state (trooper) and it's in the 30k range. To cap all that crap at 75k....now that's asinine.

Being a cop can also wears on you mentally. The things that they see...... not to mention to have a healthy home life and career, they cant allow home life to affect their duties and then cant have their job affect their home life. Obviously it's a difficult task.... cops' suicide and divorse rates are alarming.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that you've never been any type of Law Enforcement.
Old 06-15-2019, 12:44 PM   #42
HsvGts

Drives: ZLJuan
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroDreams76 View Post
Police save lives every day......... they are FIRST RESPONDERS..... Typically they arrive before the fire dept or EMTs. Especially before the nurses.

Police learn something new every single day. The day they stop learning is the day they die or quit/retire. That's 20+ years. No school, college, academy ect, can adequately prepare or train for what they will do or see.

Police are under tremendous scrutiny from the general public and are vastly hated. Police are yelled at, belittled, threatened, have their families lives threatened, have people attempt to urinate on them, attempt to deficate on them, actually get urinated on or have feces thrown at them, get attacked, get ambushed, have guns pointed at them, get shot at...... just because of the uniform they wear. I'm not exactly sure you can put any numerical value on that. Not to mention they get killed nearly daily now. MANY MANY cops do it for MUCH less. The average where I'm at for a LE Deputy is about 43k. Work for the state (trooper) and it's in the 30k range. To cap all that crap at 75k....now that's asinine.

Being a cop can also wears on you mentally. The things that they see...... not to mention to have a healthy home life and career, they cant allow home life to affect their duties and then cant have their job affect their home life. Obviously it's a difficult task.... cops' suicide and divorse rates are alarming.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that you've never been any type of Law Enforcement.
Very well said, glad to see you get it. If everyone could walk in the shoes of an officer on just one of their bad shifts.
HsvGts is offline   Reply With Quote