Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 LT1 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Phastek Performance

Old 09-09-2016, 03:30 PM   #29
Fraxum

Drives: a M6 LT1 ordered From Becky!!!
Send a message via AIM to Fraxum
Quote:
Originally Posted by SS 1LE View Post
If a car isn't on the stock list due to a filter change, that is beyond dumb. So if someone changes the air filter to a Puralator that's a "mod" too? Or if they are running a different oil filter? A drop in filter, K&N or not, in an otherwise stock car is well, still stock...
I was not part of the argument. I guess there would be one here too.
Old 09-09-2016, 03:36 PM   #30
TSloper

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sledgehammer70 View Post
That is some crazy margin of error. In most of my runs it will always be 2-3hp and trq. Anything above that is consistent back to back is a gain in my book.

Overall it all comes down to testing. I like to test my car after it has been warmed up and let sit for a few hours to cool, that gives a better real world result, over just strapping the car on the dyno and busting out runs.

But it all comes down to the margin of error and overall averages of the runs.My averages align with the results posts. but the bigger story is the grph, you can clearly see the gain through the entire RPM band.
Timing will have a big impact and unless you can confirm the timing is exactly the same between runs you can't draw any conclusions. Burst knock could be active and if you don't log the correct PID you wouldn't know it. This could cost you 2-3 degrees right there and TQ/HP.

I've done many many runs and have collected lots of logs. Even with 93 octane the factory timing is not perfect for all. In many cases the factory timing is a bit too aggressive but they rely on the knock sensor mechanisms in the ECM to deal with it. The factory essentially rides the edge... sometimes you are on the right side sometimes you are on the wrong side. On my car I have to pull timing around 6200+ or it will knock every time. Take out 2 degrees there and it is perfect.

Tim
TSloper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 01:21 PM   #31
JFM-jr

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by TSloper View Post
Timing will have a big impact and unless you can confirm the timing is exactly the same between runs you can't draw any conclusions. Burst knock could be active and if you don't log the correct PID you wouldn't know it. This could cost you 2-3 degrees right there and TQ/HP.

I've done many many runs and have collected lots of logs. Even with 93 octane the factory timing is not perfect for all. In many cases the factory timing is a bit too aggressive but they rely on the knock sensor mechanisms in the ECM to deal with it. The factory essentially rides the edge... sometimes you are on the right side sometimes you are on the wrong side. On my car I have to pull timing around 6200+ or it will knock every time. Take out 2 degrees there and it is perfect.

Tim
Do you think the runs would mirror each other the way the graph in the vid shows if that were the case. I understand what your saying for sure I know your not drawing any conclusions either way without logs I just am pointing out the 2 graphs over layed are identical for the most part across the curve just a few hp apart.
ARH 1 7/8 longtubes hi flow cats AFM deleted E85
11.0@124.9
11.65@118.8 pump gas,stock tune/exhaust
New combo: Pray Performance Heads/cam
MSD intake manifold and Circle D 3C
554/491 on E85 all work & tuning done by Pray
JFM-jr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 11:30 AM   #32
NITRA10

Drives: 16 Camaro SS
I received my filter ordered from PHASTEK

Install time took 10 min, and after driving it around for a while to let the ecu relearn the airflow I definitely like it. Worth the $70. I wholeheartedly understand all gains will be negligible when the car has 400HP to the wheels, but acceleration is better and I love the WOOSH sound on downshifts with the A8

Good stuff!
NITRA10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 11:33 AM   #33
SS 1LE
マスタング = 遅い

Drives: 2017 Chevrolet Camaro SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by NITRA10 View Post
I received my filter ordered from PHASTEK

Install time took 10 min, and after driving it around for a while to let the ecu relearn the airflow I definitely like it. Worth the $70. I wholeheartedly understand all gains will be negligible when the car has 400HP to the wheels, but acceleration is better and I love the WOOSH sound on downshifts with the A8

Good stuff!
So you really think you feel a difference after a drop in K&N?
You must have the worlds most sensitive butt dyno.
SS 1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 11:42 AM   #34
NITRA10

Drives: 16 Camaro SS
Quote:
So you really think you feel a difference after a drop in K&N?
You must have the worlds most sensitive butt dyno.
I said acceleration is better. I didn't say the car is now a jet powered dragster.

NITRA10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 01:50 PM   #35
Ventmaster

Drives: 2017 1SS 6spd
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sledgehammer70 View Post
My goal is to be helpful, nothing more.
Sez the guy with the free swag!

Just kidding thanks for all the good info Sledge!
Ventmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 01:56 PM   #36
Slem

Drives: 2016 Summit White 2SS (Auto) Loaded
I installed mine a day ago and was not looking for much at all, I will say this. It's seems to be better then the paper filter. The car seems to definitely respond better to my foot.
Slem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 05:10 PM   #37
KyBoy

Drives: '17 2SS H50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slem View Post
I installed mine a day ago and was not looking for much at all, I will say this. It's seems to be better then the paper filter. The car seems to definitely respond better to my foot.
+1
Contacted Becky - 7/1
2000 - 7/5
3000 - 7/6
3000 - 7/11 TPW 8/1
3100 - 7/18 TPW 8/1
3300 - 7/20
3400 - 7/21
Built - 8/2 - PS 1,182/1 of 699US
4300 - 8/3
5000 - 8/5
6000 - 8/13
KyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 05:16 PM   #38
JFM-jr

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
If a car isn't on the stock list due to a filter change, that is beyond dumb. So if someone changes the air filter to a Puralator that's a "mod" too? Or if they are running a different oil filter? A drop in filter, K&N or not, in an otherwise stock car is well, still stock...
Agreed a drop in being considered modified is a lil ridiculous
ARH 1 7/8 longtubes hi flow cats AFM deleted E85
11.0@124.9
11.65@118.8 pump gas,stock tune/exhaust
New combo: Pray Performance Heads/cam
MSD intake manifold and Circle D 3C
554/491 on E85 all work & tuning done by Pray
JFM-jr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 01:23 AM   #39
DisturbedSS

Drives: 16 Camaro 2SS
The gains really come from tuning to take full advantage of the less restrictive flow. Ive done similar tune comparisons with both drop ins and a full CAI swap and never really felt a difference.

There may be additional HP on the dyno for those into numbers, but Im more into driving feel. If the stock airbox with a drop-in is sufficient for a magnuson S/C install, it cant be a huge restriction to the overall setup.
DisturbedSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 03:13 AM   #40
AndyUK

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by DisturbedSS View Post
The gains really come from tuning to take full advantage of the less restrictive flow. Ive done similar tune comparisons with both drop ins and a full CAI swap and never really felt a difference.

There may be additional HP on the dyno for those into numbers, but Im more into driving feel. If the stock airbox with a drop-in is sufficient for a magnuson S/C install, it cant be a huge restriction to the overall setup.
If you call being down 40hp and 1lb of boost "sufficient" then yeah sure, why not.
AndyUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 03:59 AM   #41
DisturbedSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyUK View Post
If you call being down 40hp and 1lb of boost "sufficient" then yeah sure, why not.
fly..bzzzzz...<SWAT>

Last edited by DisturbedSS; 10-09-2016 at 04:25 AM.
Old 10-09-2016, 04:26 AM   #42
DisturbedSS

Hang on a sec...theres a fly juuust above my head.......<SWAT>

there we go...
I typically bought CAIs and tuned them on past cars, but am seeing minimal gains now on the newer generation cars. The last 2 Corvettes, just did the drop-ins with a tune and the drive was much improved. I do realize the tune was 90% of the improvement, but never need to replace the filter and the car breathes better. Sounds like a win on the cheap.

I do agree above its not really a "mod" but its an improvement in airflow with a penalty in filtering.