Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 LT1 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 02-03-2016, 12:59 PM   #29
ussj4brolli

Drives: 2x 94:Z28s - 2x95:Z28s - 1x16:1LT
The "air straightener" is the exact same thing (MAF screen) they used in their 4th Gen LT1s. literally hundreds of back and forth on this in forums if descreening was "better" or if it decreased the amount of potential air flowing by X%. I personally have descreened all of my 4th Gens (5) and not a single issue. But, i also have CAI on them all, sooo that alone is less turbulence then stock.

Would be best for your team to have 1 with and 1 without, and a dyno run (as well as AFR) on each!
ussj4brolli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 02:27 PM   #30
TSloper

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS
Have you actually measured the pressure differentials along the stock system to see where there is a restriction vs just theoretical ideas? This should be relatively straightforward. If there aren't significant drops larger tubes and filters with greater flow capacity just aren't going to matter.

On a modified engine there may very well be a need. I'm also curious to see what GM changes in their tune with their aftermarket box. Will there be a benefit on a stock engine or are they just remapping the MAF transfer function to account for the new intake?

BTW... I just ordered the catch can

Last edited by TSloper; 02-03-2016 at 02:52 PM.
TSloper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 02:43 PM   #31
Tr6
The Dogfather

Drives: #1 off the line for a customer. '16
Thanks a mill again for such fantastic info! Makes me damn happy seeing technical and good info being posted to the forum as it contributes to the greatness and quality of info available on the forums!
#33 off the line #1 order for Customer.
Build thread HERE!
Story of my delivery HERE!
Tr6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 03:28 PM   #32
Mishimoto
Account Suspended

Drives: Mostly Stock
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sledgehammer70 View Post
I am sure GM engineers found a reason to need the air straightener, but with your higher volume flow/design and not really a straight design, do you feel it's still needed? It almost seems like you could gain more room for the shield and potential bigger air filter by shortening the sensor tube.

But again, not sure a bigger air filter means anything in regards to performance. But it would be interesting to see tested. Do you plan to test with the air straightener and without?
Awesome feedback, we love to see that! I will be 100% sure our engineers do those different types of tests. We certainly plan to be as dynamic as we can with our methods. When we first designed the MAF housing, the engineering team felt it was best to emulate the idea of a straightener right out of the gate to keep in line with how GM planned to keep the airflow as smooth as possible with the massive amounts entering the system. Also, straighteners are never a bad thing to begin with!

The filter is actually pretty deceptive. It was way bigger than it looks and is the largest conical filter in terms of surface area that we have in our R&D facility. The shield is also designed to be as close as it can be along the side of the wheel well structure. Along the bottom, it is bolted to the chassis frame with little wiggle room for other mounting points due to some A/C lines that run down that stretch of frame. Within that area, it will be tough to beat the size of the filter we have on there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ussj4brolli View Post
The "air straightener" is the exact same thing (MAF screen) they used in their 4th Gen LT1s. literally hundreds of back and forth on this in forums if descreening was "better" or if it decreased the amount of potential air flowing by X%. I personally have descreened all of my 4th Gens (5) and not a single issue. But, i also have CAI on them all, sooo that alone is less turbulence then stock.

Would be best for your team to have 1 with and 1 without, and a dyno run (as well as AFR) on each!
This will all be further tested for sure! This is exactly the type of feedback we love to see. I'll make sure our engineers do this testing so we can share those results - because we are curious too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSloper View Post
Have you actually measured the pressure differentials along the stock system to see where there is a restriction vs just theoretical ideas? This should be relatively straightforward. If there aren't significant drops larger tubes and filters with greater flow capacity just aren't going to matter.

On a modified engine there may very well be a need. I'm also curious to see what GM changes in their tune with their aftermarket box. Will there be a benefit on a stock engine or are they just remapping the MAF transfer function to account for the new intake?

BTW... I just ordered the catch can
That hard data requires a flow bench and we are actually in the process of getting one soon! With the small amount of dyno testing we have done, the shape of the tube is actually very important. Can't get into the explicit details just yet, but this tube design will allow for not only more flow, but the right kind of flow that the engine will see. If it is too turbulent, or enters the throttle body in an inefficient way, there will be a loss in performance.

All of these questions will soon be answered more in depth though so stay tuned! And thanks for the catch can purchase, it's looking like a hot item!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tr6 View Post
Thanks a mill again for such fantastic info! Makes me damn happy seeing technical and good info being posted to the forum as it contributes to the greatness and quality of info available on the forums!
Glad we can share the knowledge! We definitely want this to be an environment where we discuss the information you guys want to know. So please let the questions and comments fly below!
Mishimoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 04:02 PM   #33
Tr6
The Dogfather

Drives: #1 off the line for a customer. '16
Please do post up the dyno detailed charts of the intake whenever you guys feel comfortable sharing that. I am not looking at the "omg it's XYZ" hp increase, mainly the efficiency of the airflow with the new design / intake compared to stock. Efficiency is the name of the game for me, HP increase is just icing on the cake. Why I now have ported TB and ported IM. Will be getting ported headers in the future (if I can ever find take off ones as new ones are 750 each!).
#33 off the line #1 order for Customer.
Build thread HERE!
Story of my delivery HERE!
Tr6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 05:17 PM   #34
Sledgehammer70
Lethal Camaro

Drives: 16 2SS, 71 Std, Suburban RTS
I love this stuff tbh! Thanks for the quick replies and the dedication.
Sledgehammer70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 05:22 PM   #35
jimmypop13

Drives: 2016 camaro ss
Awesome! Great work guys!

I'm sure your probably aware already but ur coolant level looks low in that last pic.
jimmypop13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 05:29 PM   #36
drivingagain

Drives: 2015 Tiger XCX,2016 Camaro 1SS,LBZ!
I have to say watching the Mishimoto stuff come out is really cool. I received the catch can today and have to say the packaging is top notch too, down to a signed thank you card. I appreciate spending good money on things people have put alot of thought and effort into.
drivingagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 10:35 PM   #37
hadkins2

Drives: 2018 Camaro ZL1 1LE Hyper Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by drivingagain View Post
I have to say watching the Mishimoto stuff come out is really cool. I received the catch can today and have to say the packaging is top notch too, down to a signed thank you card. I appreciate spending good money on things people have put alot of thought and effort into.
I agree. Got mine from the UPS dude Tuesday. The packaging was perfect and protected the catch can and hoses. And yes, the personalized thank you card was a very nice touch.

2005 Silverado 2500HD Crew Cab
1987 Camaro IROC-Z White T-Tops

Instagram @Gen6ZL1
hadkins2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 11:44 PM   #38
crankaholic

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
This is some great info! I love being able to see all the R&D steps... besides being educational, it gives me confidence that you guys didn't just slap a conical filter on a larger and/or straighter tube and called it a day. I feel like it will be a very hard decision between the GM performance CAI and yours!

I also agree with others here, the catch can looks amazing - higher quality than I was expecting, and I was expecting something very nice the thank you note was a good touch so thank you for doing such a great job!
crankaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 09:49 AM   #39
Mishimoto
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tr6 View Post
Please do post up the dyno detailed charts of the intake whenever you guys feel comfortable sharing that. I am not looking at the "omg it's XYZ" hp increase, mainly the efficiency of the airflow with the new design / intake compared to stock. Efficiency is the name of the game for me, HP increase is just icing on the cake. Why I now have ported TB and ported IM. Will be getting ported headers in the future (if I can ever find take off ones as new ones are 750 each!).
You got it!

We are certainly aiming for both efficiency and improved performance, we'll see what we come up with once we have finished thoroughly testing everything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sledgehammer70 View Post
I love this stuff tbh! Thanks for the quick replies and the dedication.
Thanks for the support, we enjoy staying dedicated to you guys!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmypop13 View Post
Awesome! Great work guys!

I'm sure your probably aware already but ur coolant level looks low in that last pic.
Thanks for the support and great eye! We actually had the radiator come out in between testing and fitting those different intakes on, so the coolant level changed a bit. Nothing to worry about!

Quote:
Originally Posted by drivingagain View Post
The kind words and supports are greatly appreciated! We definitely try to put as much effort as possible to be sure every aspect of your product is awesome. Glad you enjoyed the card and oil catch can!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hadkins2 View Post
I agree. Got mine from the UPS dude Tuesday. The packaging was perfect and protected the catch can and hoses. And yes, the personalized thank you card was a very nice touch.
Many thanks, hope you enjoy the catch can!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by crankaholic View Post
This is some great info! I love being able to see all the R&D steps... besides being educational, it gives me confidence that you guys didn't just slap a conical filter on a larger and/or straighter tube and called it a day. I feel like it will be a very hard decision between the GM performance CAI and yours!

I also agree with others here, the catch can looks amazing - higher quality than I was expecting, and I was expecting something very nice the thank you note was a good touch so thank you for doing such a great job!
Yes we completely agree there. Our engineering went beyond the "filter-on-a-stick" idea - we put a lot of thought behind this design as well as with all of our other products. Hopefully our upcoming content will help with your decision!

And it's awesome you're enjoying your catch can. Only the best for our enthusiast community!

For anyone else interested in the catch can, check out the build thread here!! We are still in the presale phase for it, so get yours with the awesome discounted price today!
Presale Link
Old 02-08-2016, 09:01 AM   #40
Justice

Drives: 2016 Hyper Blue 2SS
Eagerly watching this thread. I'm ready to add another mod to my ride.

Last edited by Justice; 02-08-2016 at 07:26 PM.
Justice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 03:13 PM   #41
Mishimoto
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justice View Post
Eagerly watching this this thread. I'm ready to add another mod to my ride.
Awesome!
Old 02-08-2016, 09:56 PM   #42
Sledgehammer70
Lethal Camaro

Drives: 16 2SS, 71 Std, Suburban RTS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mishimoto View Post
Awesome!
Any updatea?
Sledgehammer70 is offline   Reply With Quote