Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 LT1 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

AWE Tuning

Old 01-04-2016, 02:00 PM   #1
Mishimoto
Account Suspended

Drives: Mostly Stock
Mishimoto Camaro SS Performance Intake Development

Presale is now live!
Pre-Sale Link

2016+ Camaro SS Performance Intake, Part 1: Stock System Review

This brand new Camaro has been quite the buzz in the world of muscle cars. If you haven’t viewed it already, we break down this new SS in great detail in our video review series on our engineering blog. You should check it out!

2016 Camaro SS Video-Review Series Part 1 Introduction Initial Impressions

On to the intake. We want to help free up some of that airflow, as these cars have been restrictive in the past. However, Chevy does have an interesting stock intake design for this 6th-generation Camaro. Let’s dive into it.

Stock System Overview

Camaro SS parts under review

The first thing we notice is how massive this intake tube is – the inlet diameter measures a full 4.5 inches. This is the largest tube we have seen, so imagine how beneficial a free flowing cold air intake will be for this engine! Check out the enormous inlet for this intake tube in the below image.

Camaro cold air intake tube opening

The size of this intake tube isn’t the only unique thing about it. There are also multiple ports attached. See pictures below.

Camaro cold air intake tube

As with most modern vehicles, the first attachment is the sound tube.

Up close look at Camaro SS parts

Up close look at Camaro SS Parts

You can see the induction tube reach around and below the tube, eventually routing to the firewall. The tube is clamped to the intake tube by a preformed seal. Generally, the only way to remove these type of seals involves cutting them off, since they are crushed into place.

The second port that is attached to the tube is a factory air-oil separator. Take a look at the pictures below.

Factory Camaro SS parts

AOS tube routing along intake

This component is attached to the tube in a similar fashion as the sound tube. It is designed to work in a similar fashion to an oil catch can. The only “catch” is it isn’t as efficient! It is still pretty interesting to see a piece like this come stock.

On to the airbox. Aside from the size of its opening, it has a fairly standard design.

Camaro cold air intake box

You can see the massive opening on the top as well as the inlet on the bottom that attaches to the fresh air scoop. To remove this box from the car, the only tool you need is a flathead screwdriver to detach the rubber intake tube. The rest of the box pops right out.

Chevy integrated a unique feature into this intake box. Do you see those bars sitting in the middle of the inlet opening below?

Shot of factory MAF straightener

Those bars are located right before the mass airflow (MAF) sensor. Due to the large amount of air, thanks to the 4.5” inlet opening, Chevy actually molded in a MAF straightener. It is pretty rare for a car manufacturer to do this, but then again, a stock 4.5” intake tube is also hard to come by.

With such a large path for air, turbulence is guaranteed. The MAF would have a hard time coping with readings if the air weren’t a smooth stream. The job of the straightener is to “comb” the air as it rushes into the inlet, thus providing a more consistent and predictable air stream that the MAF can read.

Coming Up!

Now that we’ve inspected this stock system, we can begin designing our initial Camaro cold air intake prototype. Stay tuned for what we come up with next!

Thanks for reading!

Last edited by Mishimoto; 05-18-2016 at 08:21 AM.
Mishimoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 02:36 PM   #2
jdasnt3

Drives: 18 Silverado 1500
Interesting to see if there is any gain in performance if GM did that well on the stock design. I saw some sort of 17% gain from the GMPerformance CAI on their write up.
Old 01-04-2016, 04:39 PM   #3
Sledgehammer70
Lethal Camaro

Drives: 16 2SS, 71 Std, Suburban RTS
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdasnt3 View Post
Interesting to see if there is any gain in performance if GM did that well on the stock design. I saw some sort of 17% gain from the GMPerformance CAI on their write up.
GM has been pretty open about their upcoming CAI will provide x amount of airflow increase.

I know just replacing the intake filter will offer better flow in general. I can't wait to see what aftermarket companies cook up.
Sledgehammer70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 06:36 PM   #4
SS 1LE
マスタング = 遅い

Drives: 2017 Chevrolet Camaro SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sledgehammer70 View Post

I know just replacing the intake filter will offer better flow in general. I can't wait to see what aftermarket companies cook up.
Drop ins like K&N provide no gains over a clean paper filter. Their claim to fame is they are reuseable. There have been back to back dyno tests of a K&N, AFE and stock. They were all within 1 rwhp...don't believe the $75 drop in hype. You are better off replacing the cheapo stocker every 10,000 miles or so.
SS 1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 12:12 AM   #5
jimmypop13

Drives: 2016 camaro ss
Quote:
Originally Posted by SUMMIT WHITE SS View Post
Drop ins like K&N provide no gains over a clean paper filter. Their claim to fame is they are reuseable. There have been back to back dyno tests of a K&N, AFE and stock. They were all within 1 rwhp...don't believe the $75 drop in hype. You are better off replacing the cheapo stocker every 10,000 miles or so.
I hate cleaning those damn things. Went back to paper.
jimmypop13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 01:32 AM   #6
BradfordCamaro
SABIO

Drives: 2016 CAMARO 1SS
Looks like GM did a great job. Large ports fed with fresh cool air from outside the via a scoop.

Lets see how many companies stick a big filter under the hood and say theirs is better.

BradfordCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 10:55 AM   #7
Kracka

Drives: 2021 Corvette Z51
Fantastic post Mishimoto, I am really enjoying all the technical info and detailed pictures you've been posting! These initial stages of stock tear-down and R&D are great ways to learn more about the technical aspects of the car.
Kracka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 11:05 AM   #8
Tr6
The Dogfather

Drives: #1 off the line for a customer. '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kracka View Post
Fantastic post Mishimoto, I am really enjoying all the technical info and detailed pictures you've been posting! These initial stages of stock tear-down and R&D are great ways to learn more about the technical aspects of the car.
AGREED!!!!!

Thank you SO MUCH Mishimoto! Despite some of the comments, please do keep posting the fantastic info with pictures as well!!! PLEASE do keep us in the loop with all the upcoming details!!!! It is always amazing to see technical info with detailed pictures!
#33 off the line #1 order for Customer.
Build thread HERE!
Story of my delivery HERE!
Tr6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 11:52 AM   #9
Mishimoto
Account Suspended

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tr6 View Post
AGREED!!!!!

Thank you SO MUCH Mishimoto! Despite some of the comments, please do keep posting the fantastic info with pictures as well!!! PLEASE do keep us in the loop with all the upcoming details!!!! It is always amazing to see technical info with detailed pictures!
Guys, many, many thanks for the kind words!

We find it valuable to learn and share everything we can about whatever part we plan to improve before tearing into upgrades - knowledge is power! It is equally as valuable to hear people appreciate the detailed initial process we take everyone through. More to come very soon, stay tuned!
Old 01-06-2016, 12:22 PM   #10
Denis

Drives: 2010 SS
this is awesome. its very cool to be kept in the loop as far as development of these parts is concerned. I read from a few others that have dyno'd these cars that there is a pretty good vacuum on the factory intake. keep it up!
Old 01-06-2016, 12:53 PM   #11
Kracka

Drives: 2021 Corvette Z51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mishimoto View Post

We find it valuable to learn and share everything we can about whatever part we plan to improve before tearing into upgrades - knowledge is power! It is equally as valuable to hear people appreciate the detailed initial process we take everyone through. More to come very soon, stay tuned!
I will also add that seeing all your R&D/technical posts and blogs as of late has really changed my perception of your company. Keep it up
Kracka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 01:12 PM   #12
Tr6
The Dogfather

Quote:

Couldn't agree more! The more we learn, the better! Gives us a much better and accurate info for us to use instead of just commenting without even owning, knowing nor experiencing such!

I am curious to see a break down / dyno testing (not just the hp/tq increase but the airflow efficiency) on the Chevy Performance intake (extra one, stock one was done, can't remember who nor the link) and how the intake you guys will come out with!
Build thread HERE!
Old 01-06-2016, 02:13 PM   #13
Mishimoto
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denis View Post
this is awesome. its very cool to be kept in the loop as far as development of these parts is concerned. I read from a few others that have dyno'd these cars that there is a pretty good vacuum on the factory intake. keep it up!
Glad to hear it! We are in the midst of developing our design, but dyno results are on the near horizon. Be sure to stay tuned!

Quote:
I will also add that seeing all your R&D/technical posts and blogs as of late has really changed my perception of your company. Keep it up
That's always good! Great to hear that it's working. Keeping everyone in the know of what goes on in the Mishimoto garage is a high priority for us. It's great to see positive response from it as well, so you can bet we'll keep it up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tr6 View Post
Couldn't agree more! The more we learn, the better! Gives us a much better and accurate info for us to use instead of just commenting without even owning, knowing nor experiencing such!

I am curious to see a break down / dyno testing (not just the hp/tq increase but the airflow efficiency) on the Chevy Performance intake (extra one, stock one was done, can't remember who nor the link) and how the intake you guys will come out with!
Awesome, we are here to help so happy to do so any way we can. We are curious enthusiasts just like you!

Also don't worry, we're just as anxious to see what improvements there are to be made to this system as you are. Our prototype is still in the design phase, but our results are indeed on the way, so keep a weather eye on this thread!
Old 01-06-2016, 03:27 PM   #14
Tr6
The Dogfather

Quote:
Glad to hear it! We are in the midst of developing our design, but dyno results are on the near horizon. Be sure to stay tuned!

That's always good! Great to hear that it's working. Keeping everyone in the know of what goes on in the Mishimoto garage is a high priority for us. It's great to see positive response from it as well, so you can bet we'll keep it up!

Awesome, we are here to help so happy to do so any way we can. We are curious enthusiasts just like you!

Also don't worry, we're just as anxious to see what improvements there are to be made to this system as you are. Our prototype is still in the design phase, but our results are indeed on the way, so keep a weather eye on this thread!
Oh we definitely will, don't hesitate to ask anything from us either!
Build thread HERE!