Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Bigwormgraphix

Old 08-09-2019, 10:27 PM   #71
GrimReaperSS

Drives: 2001 Onyx Black/Ebony SS. 427/M6
To start, I agree with Doc that looks are extremely important. A huge reason the first gen Camaro, more specifically the '69 MY, is wildly popular is because they nailed the look. It will always look great, the definition of Timeless. Personally I love the 6th gen and would love to own an SS 1LE, which to me is currently the perfect Gen6. As stated by the O.P., everyone has an attachment to the cars that were around when they were in their teens/20's. For me that was the 4th gen, to which I have owned one for the last 12 years. I can't say though that I would want a modern interpretation of it. If a Gen7 were to emulate Gen2 as suggested above, I would say that I would only like to see that in the case of going to a more smoother line/curvy body rather than the crisp edges/creases of the current car. I do like the '70-'73 Gen2, but I'm not certain that look would work today, that hood is so long. I think it's time for a new generation that resonates with today's generation (I mean this in the appearance sense). I'm not ready to give up the V8 myself... between the power and the sound, there is no replacement. Sure, EV's can have more power and acceleration (not usually better handling), but THEY HAVE NO SOUL! I do not feel connected to EV's while driving in any way. Even hybrids are not very impressive. As a Mercedes Benz tech, I drive current versions of the E53 (I-6 gas engine with electric assist) and it doesn't compare to an E63 at all. I understand that there is about a 150-200hp difference, but there is so much more to it than that. Even the C63, which is closer in power levels to the E53, will put a much bigger smile on your face. On the note of a C63, the two door version has a better greenhouse than the Camaro (which I dont really think is that bad, although I would like to comfortably set my arm on the window sill), but the rear seats still suck to get in and out of that car as well. I'm 5'8" and find more headroom in the back of the Merc, though feel it has less leg room than the Camaro. I understand the statement of having reached the limits of front engine, rear drive configuration, but to me they are fast enough! If you want to go faster, then that's why the Corvette exists, trade up. I don't know what I could exactly put on a wishlist for a Gen7, other than some slight ergonomic changes in comparison to the Gen6.
GrimReaperSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 05:16 AM   #72
18LTLoveIt

Drives: 2018 Hyper Blue LT RS
Gen 5 was Retro and a home run at the time. It still looks great on the road.

Early Gen 6's look futuristic, edgy & will hold up well thru the next 10 years.

For 7th Gen:
Round inset tail lights, since corvette abandoned it, it could be a tip to 2nd Gen Camaro.
Center fill gas tank would be cool too.

Increase size back to 5th Gen for comfort (getting in & out)

Raise the roof and go Hatchback for tip to 3rd Gen and better access storage. Better visibility.

Fix the awkward arm rest/console. Boy do I miss my 5th Gen console, bigger & easy access.

Front end, ditch the exposed abs black plastic in grill, recess it again. Bumperettes were cool in 70-73 but they were chrome. In plastic we got 2019 SS that was a hot mess.

C A M A R O badging on fenders.
18LTLoveIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 11:28 AM   #73
Deputy Dog
Banned

Drives: 2017 Super Sport Cam.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RenegadeXR View Post
I love it. I think it's an awesome idea to have a 7th gen Camaro continue in the footsteps of what the 2nd gen started and the 3rd gen kind of continued in terms of the big wrap-around rear glass and general greenhouse design. That was very much a signature Camaro design trait for a couple decades and would translate well into a modern car that would draw no real complaints over it looking too similar to the outgoing car. It would also more than solve the visibility complaints.

There's still a little too much Ferrari in the design, but I can see this car's basic profile being translated into GM design language. GM was very much trying to copy Ferrari in the 80's with the Fiero and other cars, which is why I think this sorta works.

Thats a European Sports Car. We want Camaros to look American.
Deputy Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 11:30 AM   #74
Deputy Dog
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Chief View Post
I think this effect does a better job of illustrating what I'm looking for.

Just to be clear I haven't raised the roofline at all. All I did was add more glass and I think it maintains a sleek look without going over the top.

Yeh...I can dig where you are going with that.
Old 08-10-2019, 11:33 AM   #75
Deputy Dog
Banned

Quote:
Here is the current gen and my Gen 7 "Mullet" concept:

-Extended nose/deck lid and recessed bumper for a "open jaw" profile
-Gratuitous hood bump
-Extended windshield for viewing traffic lights
-Functional side windows(these aren't just for looks!)
-Lotsa glass in the back for a hatch-style rear trunk lid
-Gratuitous blade spoiler
-Trimmed down the beltline between the wheels as much as I could

Yep...good design...still looks like a camaro too.
Old 08-10-2019, 12:08 PM   #76
RenegadeXR

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deputy Dog View Post
I know. Mentioned this in the last 2 sentences.
Old 08-10-2019, 12:12 PM   #77
396ssrat

Drives: 66 Chevelle SS
Knowing Chevrolet history, if there ever is a next Camaro it will be front drive with battery power and made in China. The thought of what they did to the Chevelle/Malibu comes to mind.
396ssrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 12:57 PM   #78
Deputy Dog
Banned

Quote:
Here is the current gen and my Gen 7 "Mullet" concept:

-Extended nose/deck lid and recessed bumper for a "open jaw" profile
-Gratuitous hood bump
-Extended windshield for viewing traffic lights
-Functional side windows(these aren't just for looks!)
-Lotsa glass in the back for a hatch-style rear trunk lid
-Gratuitous blade spoiler
-Trimmed down the beltline between the wheels as much as I could

Just updated again. The LT1 Engine has been removed and has been replaced with the new LT2 Corvette Engine. Along with the body changes the car now makes n/a 485 stock hp, and gets 30 mpg hwy fitted with the 6 spd Tremec trans.

I just updated the Camaro. Reduced about 20 lbs of sheet metal. Wider rear window as well as reduced the A pillars for a wider front glass. Side glass also increase 1.25in from top door to roof. Upgraded rear taillights with body colored horizontal dividers. Chevy has my permission to use this design for the next camaro model or refresh.
Attached Images

Last edited by Deputy Dog; 08-11-2019 at 07:08 PM. Reason: s
Old 08-11-2019, 08:32 AM   #79
Bosse'sBoss

Drives: '16 Camaro SS 6 spd manual transm.
Thumbs up

I consider that GM hit a homerun on the handling department with the 6th gen Camaro: its lighter than the previous 5th gen Camaro, with an almost perfect handling from the newer Alpha platform and even better with the ELSD available on upper handling models, but I still think that the 5th gen Camaro ZL1 has a much better looking muscle car look.
Of the 3 actual muscle cars, the Dodge Challenger has a better retro look which is very similar to the original car.
GM probably observed that the 5th gen Camaro design was a major hit, but instead of looking to create a complete new design, they continued with a very similar design on the 6th gen Camaro. The only thing that needs to change is the external design to make it more attractive and probably go for something retro or maybe it's time to bring back the Trans Am.
I also really missed the rear seating space from the previous 5th gen Camaro which was lost on the 6th gen Camaro.

The manual transmission should continue for the shifting fans.

Here I attached some nice designs that someone did years ago.
Attached Images

'14 Camaro ZL1 w/. Recaro seats
'11 Mustang GT 5.0 w. track package
'02 Porsche 911 Carrera
'05 Infiniti G35 coupe sport

Last edited by Bosse'sBoss; 08-11-2019 at 08:47 AM.
Bosse'sBoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 11:58 AM   #80
red_johnny

Drives: 2016 Gray 2SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckeyeROC View Post
There's been quite a few threads on this. But GOD no, please no 2nd gen retro design. Start fresh, design for GenZ.

I would love for the Firebird/Trans Am to come back and offer a different look for the Camaro, more options is better. But that's never going to happen.
Please no 2nd GEN concepts. It was a horrible looking thing.
red_johnny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 04:14 PM   #81
Gen6_1Le

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1Le
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deputy Dog View Post
The early 2nd gens are talked about very often here for their looks and they were styled after European cars . What would be an American looking Camaro?
Gen6_1Le is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 04:16 PM   #82
Gen6_1Le

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1Le
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckeyeROC View Post
There's been quite a few threads on this. But GOD no, please no 2nd gen retro design. Start fresh, design for GenZ.

I would love for the Firebird/Trans Am to come back and offer a different look for the Camaro, more options is better. But that's never going to happen.
I think a Trans Am could work alongside of a Camaro under the Corvette brand.
Gen6_1Le is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 04:51 PM   #83
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
No retro. For the Camaro to do more than be number 1 in a dying segment it has to become something none of us can imagine.
Old 08-11-2019, 05:36 PM   #84
HouseStark

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE
Katech has their Camaro parts listed from 2016-2023 some how they already know. Conspiracy? I think not.......����������
HouseStark is offline   Reply With Quote