Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 LT1 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Phastek Performance

Old 07-15-2020, 10:48 PM   #29
Azerlazer26

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS
Well after reading up and watching videos religiously, along with the help of the CAMARO6 forum I’ve decided on the Borla S-Type. Thank you all for the feedback! This is why I turn to the forums with questions like this
Azerlazer26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 10:49 PM   #30
Azerlazer26

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagstar View Post
I'm currently very happy with the S-Type. I still remember hearing it start while I was in the waiting room at the shop and I got an instant smile. And believe me the smiles have continued far longer than the sting of the cost. I do kind of wish I went with a full catback from the start though. I now have all the pieces to make one (along with headers and a Whipple). We'll see if I still like it after they go on in a few weeks, or if it becomes too loud.
Do you have an insta for your car? I’d LOVE to see/hear your car once everything gets installed
Azerlazer26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 01:33 AM   #31
MakCamaro
Makis

Drives: 2020 Red Hot ZL1 A10
Well, my favourite ones are the AWE Touring edition and Corsa Xtreme. They both produce the deep, throaty sound that I am looking for. The only drawback is that they don't have an NPP version. Well, Corsa now produces an NPP exhaust system, but they placed themselves out of this market, as the price is ridiculously high:

https://www.corsaperformance.com/col...-camaro-ss-zl1

I also just found out that Solo Performance makes a great axleback exhaust for the Camaro. The sound is amazing and it comes at a good price too. Again, the drawback is that it comes with no NPP function:

https://shop-solo-performance.com/en...oor-sedan.html

So all the exhausts that produce the sound that I like lack the NPP function. The only alternative is the Borla exhaust systems, with the ATAK being my choice. Great brand and quality, but I would have to compromise in sound a bit. Plus it's more expensive than the AWE, Corsa and Solo systems. Unfortunately, considering the shipping costs and import taxes to the UK, they would be at the bottom of my list...
MakCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 07:49 AM   #32
Dagstar

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azerlazer26 View Post
Do you have an insta for your car? I’d LOVE to see/hear your car once everything gets installed
Not sure what that is. I'll probably take some videos once it's done and maybe one before with just the axle back.
Dagstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 08:04 AM   #33
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Drives: '20 2SS Convertible 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by MakCamaro View Post
Well, my favourite ones are the AWE Touring edition and Corsa Xtreme. They both produce the deep, throaty sound that I am looking for. The only drawback is that they don't have an NPP version. Well, Corsa now produces an NPP exhaust system, but they placed themselves out of this market, as the price is ridiculously high:

https://www.corsaperformance.com/col...-camaro-ss-zl1

I also just found out that Solo Performance makes a great axleback exhaust for the Camaro. The sound is amazing and it comes at a good price too. Again, the drawback is that it comes with no NPP function:

https://shop-solo-performance.com/en...oor-sedan.html

So all the exhausts that produce the sound that I like lack the NPP function. The only alternative is the Borla exhaust systems, with the ATAK being my choice. Great brand and quality, but I would have to compromise in sound a bit. Plus it's more expensive than the AWE, Corsa and Solo systems. Unfortunately, considering the shipping costs and import taxes to the UK, they would be at the bottom of my list...
It seems that ALL of the manufacturers are "preying on" those that have NPP and are looking to keep it with the ridiculous costs.

The Borla S-Type Axle Back 11920 is roughly $1300 list. It's quad-tipped but has NO place to install NPP actuators. If you go for the 11924 instead, one of the tips on each muffler is 'missing' and gets replaced with a tip that has a mounting point for the NPP actuator. The 11924 system has a list price of around $1700. How is that it costs $400 more for these tips?

If you have the 11920 and decide that you want to cut off those secondary tips and install these 'replacement' tips to gain back the NPP aspect, the adapter kit lists for over $900.

I'm sorry.. what? I can buy two mufflers with double tips installed on each for $1300 but you want me to pay $900 for two 10" sections of pipe with a mounting point and a valve?

There is no justification for this cost delta other than "because people with NPP will pay it."

I'm would seriously consider just moving from my factor dual tip exhaust to a factory quad-tip NPP exhaust simply because stock NPP muffler suitcases are readily available from people that swapped out to something aftermarket. And they're cheap. And it's a distinct upgrade (for me) from the dual tip setup I have currently.
ember1205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 03:07 PM   #34
avalonandl

Drives: 2019 ZL-1
Try and find someone locally that has the Flowmaster system. The Magnaflow has a drone issue.

2012 Yukon XL Denali w/ 6.2 AWD
avalonandl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 04:46 PM   #35
HyperBlue2017

Drives: 2018 Camaro Hyper Blue 2SS
I love my Flowmaster 817746 American Thunder axle back Kit.
Sounds great, no drone that I can hear..

Traded my 2017 1LT in for a 2018 2SS.
HyperBlue2017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 06:05 PM   #36
enzia35

Drives: '16 Garnet Red 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagstar View Post
Not sure what that is. I'll probably take some videos once it's done and maybe one before with just the axle back.
He's talking about Instagram. It's a place where thots post.
enzia35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2020, 10:52 AM   #37
gtfoxy
Account Suspended

Drives: '21 Wild Cherry ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azerlazer26 View Post
Well after reading up and watching videos religiously, along with the help of the CAMARO6 forum I’ve decided on the Borla S-Type. Thank you all for the feedback! This is why I turn to the forums with questions like this
I don’t think you will regret it.

Got mine put in on Friday, took me 30min. That included test fitting it & cutting the pipes again as I added a little to the Borla measurements for the future when I have time to get the mid-section out & add v-bands. I cut them so the center of the tip protrudes .75” from the facia. It’s definitely not tucked in like the pics Borla has posted on their site & in the literature.

It definitely has bark at cold start. Cruise is pretty subdued, part throttle is notable, & WOT sounds pretty decent.

A good balance of performance sound without being annoying.

Best deal I could find for the 11922 system was from SS Exhaust for $748 shipped
Attached Images

Last edited by gtfoxy; 07-21-2020 at 11:53 AM.
gtfoxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2020, 12:04 PM   #38
nferr

Drives: CamaroRS, Cadillac CTS, MGB
Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperBlue2017 View Post
I love my Flowmaster 817746 American Thunder axle back Kit.
Sounds great, no drone that I can hear..
Just got the American Thunders for my V6. Took six weeks to arrive but the price was great from Juiced with the Camaro6 promotion (I think around $465 and free shipping), gonna try to get them on this week. Nice to hear you're getting no droning.
nferr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2020, 12:34 PM   #39
HCI2000SS

Drives: 2018 Camaro V6/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by nferr View Post
Just got the American Thunders for my V6. Took six weeks to arrive but the price was great from Juiced with the Camaro6 promotion (I think around $465 and free shipping), gonna try to get them on this week. Nice to hear you're getting no droning.
I have that axle back on my V6. I think you'll be happy with it. To me I thought it sounded as good as the Borla but was obviously cheaper. $465 is a phenomenal price. I paid like $520 from RDP Store if I remember right.
HCI2000SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 01:31 AM   #40
WhitesnakeSS

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS
AWE touring is the best sounding exhaust in a 6th gen I have ever heard.
It and headers... Dang it boy !
WhitesnakeSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 02:02 AM   #41
MakCamaro
Makis

Drives: 2020 Red Hot ZL1 A10
^ I agree 100%. If only they had an NPP version.
MakCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 06:00 AM   #42
Puddin

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhitesnakeSS View Post
AWE touring is the best sounding exhaust in a 6th gen I have ever heard.
It and headers... Dang it boy !
Yep that's what I have right now and it's way to loud with catless headers so now I'm going to give the Stainless Works Legend series a shot since it has npp valves.
Puddin is offline   Reply With Quote