Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 LT1 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Phastek Performance

Old 04-01-2016, 03:04 AM   #29
BigNorm4Life

Drives: 2013 Ford Fusion SE
I think GM and Ford too dropped the ball on rectifying this issue... It is a real issue

Some of y'all are gonna call me crazy... But when it comes to Direct Injection ... Toyota's method on carbon issues is quite genius

I believe the Tech is in the Lexus 200NX with its turbo charged 4 and The Lexus RX series 3.5L V6... Along with the Toyota Tacoma and soon to be Highlander next year

How Toyota mitigated carbon issues on its DI engines is that it's actually runs a dual mode fuel system... Port injection which coats the back sides of the valves in fuel while at a stop light or idling but during load or WOT.. It's direct injection for maximum efficiency

GM should have not only implemented This tech in the LT series engines.. But also across the whole damn engine lineup... This goes for Ford as well. It's kinda funny cause FCA is also looking into DI but have the slightest idea on how to deal with carbon issues so they are taking their time as well with its development

Me honestly.. I think the whole top tier gas thing is bullshit! For my Fusion with its 1.6 Ecoboost engine... I already run 93 in it and that's enough, your not gonna run into too much carbon issues running premium gas... I just run Penzoil Platium Ultra Full synthetic every 10k miles and 2 bottles of techron every 10-12 gas runs.. What techron is usually 2 for $8 at autozone lol

You guys think DI is a nuisance... Wait until camless engines are the norm lol
BigNorm4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 07:06 AM   #30
Lucely Engineered

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS M6
BMW's have had the carbon issues for many years. It is usually fixed with walnut blasting in mileage intervals. It was not expensive and not that big of a deal.
Old 04-01-2016, 01:36 PM   #31
BigNorm4Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucely Engineered View Post
BMW's have had the carbon issues for many years. It is usually fixed with walnut blasting in mileage intervals. It was not expensive and not that big of a deal.
How does that work in a reciprocal engine? In a turbo fan engine it's lovely.. We just run the engine lol

Edit Here's a video, pretty cool

But that would be a pain in the ass to do every say 30,000 miles... GM should offer a free maintenance plan like BMW that include this... Or make it cost no more than $150 plus labor

Last edited by BigNorm4Life; 04-01-2016 at 01:46 PM.
Old 04-01-2016, 01:49 PM   #32
Modshack

Drives: 2SS, Hyper Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucely Engineered View Post
VW/Audi as well.....50K is the general mileage when this needs to be done. Over on the VW forums there have been extensive tests with/without catch cans, and the conclusion is it makes no difference ...
Old 04-01-2016, 06:08 PM   #33
Boilermaker128

Drives: 2010 CobaltSSTC
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigNorm4Life View Post
How does that work in a reciprocal engine? In a turbo fan engine it's lovely.. We just run the engine lol

Edit Here's a video, pretty cool

But that would be a pain in the ass to do every say 30,000 miles... GM should offer a free maintenance plan like BMW that include this... Or make it cost no more than $150 plus labor
Good for profit since it can be a lengthy job to do right. Hard to say what intervals though, could use a boroscope to get an idea of how bad it is. I've got 230,000km on my DI engine, never a problem with it, nothing done for prevention, owned it from new, not planning to blast it unless some signs start to appear (mpg drop, power lose, stuttering)
Boilermaker128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 06:19 PM   #34
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Me honestly.. I think the whole top tier gas thing is bullshit! For my Fusion with its 1.6 Ecoboost engine... I already run 93 in it and that's enough, your not gonna run into too much carbon issues running premium gas... I just run Penzoil Platium Ultra Full synthetic every 10k miles and 2 bottles of techron every 10-12 gas runs.. What techron is usually 2 for $8 at autozone lol
What does the Octane rating of fuel matter to carbon buildup?
Old 04-02-2016, 02:39 AM   #35
mikeSS

Drives: 2015 c7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wyndham View Post
What does the Octane rating of fuel matter to carbon buildup?
It burns cleaner, but even at that point it not like it makes a huge difference.
mikeSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 02:50 AM   #36
mikeSS

Drives: 2015 c7
Quote:
I think GM and Ford too dropped the ball on rectifying this issue... It is a real issue

Some of y'all are gonna call me crazy... But when it comes to Direct Injection ... Toyota's method on carbon issues is quite genius

I believe the Tech is in the Lexus 200NX with its turbo charged 4 and The Lexus RX series 3.5L V6... Along with the Toyota Tacoma and soon to be Highlander next year

How Toyota mitigated carbon issues on its DI engines is that it's actually runs a dual mode fuel system... Port injection which coats the back sides of the valves in fuel while at a stop light or idling but during load or WOT.. It's direct injection for maximum efficiency

GM should have not only implemented This tech in the LT series engines.. But also across the whole damn engine lineup... This goes for Ford as well. It's kinda funny cause FCA is also looking into DI but have the slightest idea on how to deal with carbon issues so they are taking their time as well with its development

You guys think DI is a nuisance... Wait until camless engines are the norm lol
Heres one thing I will never understand.

IF this problem was so bad, and wide spread. If engines are seeing problems around 50k miles or less. That means GM would be running into warranty claims left and right from customers complaining. I don't understand how GM is still making these engines if they have to paid dealerships to clean millions of engines over the warranty period. Which is 5 years/60k miles. well within enough time to see problems.

I can understand If the engine loses like 10-20HP, or maybe a few MPG drop. over a reasonable amount of miles, most customers won't be able to tell. From what people say on many forums, there isn't going to be any engines running to 100k miles anymore without a manual carbon cleaning.
mikeSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 04:52 AM   #37
BigNorm4Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeSS View Post

IF this problem was so bad, and wide spread. If engines are seeing problems around 50k miles or less. That means GM would be running into warranty claims left and right from customers complaining. I don't understand how GM is still making these engines if they have to paid dealerships to clean millions of engines over the warranty period. Which is 5 years/60k miles. well within enough time to see problems.

I can understand If the engine loses like 10-20HP, or maybe a few MPG drop. over a reasonable amount of miles, most customers won't be able to tell. From what people say on many forums, there isn't going to be any engines running to 100k miles anymore without a manual carbon cleaning.
I got two logical answer to that

1.Keeping the parts department busy and profitable

2. We are all Guinea Pigs testing real world performances of these engines
Old 07-20-2023, 10:23 AM   #38
Whoomba

Drives: 2024Camaro 2SS CE Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericspt View Post
Turn off DOD and the meth in a FI setup eliminates the carbon build up problem.
More detail please. DOD?
Whoomba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2023, 10:38 AM   #39
Whoomba

Drives: 2024Camaro 2SS CE Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackdevil77 View Post
That would help prolong the problem. I thought our cars came with a catch can from factory that drained itself back into the oil pan?

Here's a thread on this topic over on the Chevy SS forums

http://www.ssforums.com/forum/engine...injection.html
If that picture is a DI engine intake valve then that oil gunk which is helped by a catch can.
Whoomba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2023, 09:29 PM   #40
Alan47717

Drives: 2022 1LT RS 2.0t/6spd
Quote:

You're making the inconvenient point that pushers of issues like this don't want to acknowledge. If every DI engine built was susceptible to serious problems due to coking the consequences for manufacturers would be catastrophic. Dealership service departments buried (the comment about maintaining service department profits is just silly), engineering resources diverted to find solutions, etc. I was part of a task force once working on an issue affecting just under twenty percent of engines in one engine family. It was a nightmare, dealers were screaming, people were working twelve/fourteen hour days/7 days a week until the problem was solved.

Significant DI engine carbon buildup requires a significant source of carbon. Engines that had problems (and led to endless internet hysteria condemning all DI applications) had high oil consumption or high blow-by (often both). The 2.4L engine in the Equinox/Terrains was a prime example. Neither of my 2.0t engines uses any oil and I have zero concerns about carbon buildup causing me any problems.

And then there's diesels. Internal combustion engines with direct injection that run hundreds of thousands of miles with no problems. Simply amazing.

I've seen coking on carbureted engines, TBI engines, MPFI engines and SPFI engines. In all instances the carbon buildup was a secondary problem caused by something else, a PROBLEM somewhere else (over fueling, internal coolant leakage, oil consumption).
Alan47717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2023, 10:05 PM   #41
Gunkk
Thank you Al Oppenheiser!

Drives: Red Hot A10 ZL1 Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whoomba View Post
More detail please. DOD?
Displacement On Demand. An old term. But it's an old thread. Congrats on your 7 year thread necropsy!

Gunkk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2023, 08:47 AM   #42
302crossram

Drives: 2023 Sharkskin 2SS
Quote:
It burns cleaner, but even at that point it not like it makes a huge difference.
higher octane burns slower
302crossram is offline   Reply With Quote