Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

AWE Tuning

Old 01-20-2021, 11:31 AM   #43
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Drives: '20 2SS Convertible 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxcam02 View Post
true, im obviously not rich enough to have that mindset
lol... LACK of money is why I see them separately.
ember1205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 04:08 PM   #44
mcintyre1969

Drives: 1968 SS/RS, 2006 H2 2016 2SS White
What are droors?
Old 01-20-2021, 04:08 PM   #45
init4fun

Drives: 2017 50th Anniversary
I'm not going to say that I'm surprised. When I had my 50th at the dealer for an oil change before putting it away for the year, the used car manager asked me if I'd be willing to sell. I was offered $38K for my car with 5K miles on it.

For the record I paid $38,900 new in 2017
init4fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 04:13 PM   #46
gtfoxy
Account Suspended

Drives: '21 Wild Cherry ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcintyre1969 View Post
What are droors?
Ya know, drawers smelled incorrectly.
gtfoxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 04:20 PM   #47
CamaroSSStlfan
Account Suspended

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by init4fun View Post
I'm not going to say that I'm surprised. When I had my 50th at the dealer for an oil change before putting it away for the year, the used car manager asked me if I'd be willing to sell. I was offered $38K for my car with 5K miles on it.

For the record I paid $38,900 new in 2017

Kinda dumb for the dealer. So they buy it, jack the price up and it just sits there like I see other overpriced cars do around here right now.

The dealer I got my used one at had it priced at 35,000. Within 3 weeks they brought sticker price down to 31,400.

I notice this because when I bought back in Sept I'd watch the used car listings and those Mustangs and Camaros were not moving despite being a low supply. Then eventually they'd price them down really low. I nearly bought a 2016 CS special with only 12k miles on it for a good price I was watching daily.

What sucks though for new Camaro buyers is with the sluggish sales the dealers don't order a huge inventory of them. They usually just carry one SS or LT and it's usually loaded up.
CamaroSSStlfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 04:27 PM   #48
mrkyleman

Drives: Chevrolet Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSSStlfan View Post
Wowzers, WTF! Did it have NPP? Was the miles high on it? hard to imagine you got a less than 4 year old 2ss for that dirt cheap though. Did it have collision with the air bags going off in the vehicle history?

New those were upwards 45k depending on options. That's a pretty big drop in value. That's why I gotta ask if there was something else to it.
It has just about every option possible: Bose, moon roof, NPP, floor mats, red leather interior, etc. It had a clean title, with about 30K miles on it. I daily drive it and have not had to do any work yet besides an oil change and fluid top offs. The only drawback was the old fella who owned it before smoked like a chimney inside. About 3 runs with the ozone machine and you can't tell. Looks like original MSRP was $46,300 from the window sticker I have.
mrkyleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 04:39 PM   #49
CamaroSSStlfan
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkyleman View Post
It has just about every option possible: Bose, moon roof, NPP, floor mats, red leather interior, etc. It had a clean title, with about 30K miles on it. I daily drive it and have not had to do any work yet besides an oil change and fluid top offs. The only drawback was the old fella who owned it before smoked like a chimney inside. About 3 runs with the ozone machine and you can't tell. Looks like original MSRP was $46,300 from the window sticker I have.

Wow. That is one hell of a deal. Was the dealer trying to unload it? That just sounds too good to be true though. Unless the dealer offered peanuts on the trade in with that guy how in the world did they even make any money off that deal?
Old 01-20-2021, 05:13 PM   #50
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Quote:
Kinda dumb for the dealer. So they buy it, jack the price up and it just sits there like I see other overpriced cars do around here right now.

The dealer I got my used one at had it priced at 35,000. Within 3 weeks they brought sticker price down to 31,400.

I notice this because when I bought back in Sept I'd watch the used car listings and those Mustangs and Camaros were not moving despite being a low supply. Then eventually they'd price them down really low. I nearly bought a 2016 CS special with only 12k miles on it for a good price I was watching daily.

What sucks though for new Camaro buyers is with the sluggish sales the dealers don't order a huge inventory of them. They usually just carry one SS or LT and it's usually loaded up.
I think a lot depends on the market, though, and may have also been influenced by possibly having a customer of the dealership that had been asking about a car like it. Plus, it could get CPO'd to jack the price further for the right buyer...

No dealership will sell a car at a loss. Many won't sell below a minimum profit amount. They hold it for a short time and then off to auction it goes. If the dealer bought the car at auction, it seems to not stay on their lot more than 30 days ("magic number"?) while a car they take in trade typically won't stay much longer. The costs associated with going to auction to both buy AND sell must help them write down the value to sell it to the next dealership to give it a try...
Old 01-20-2021, 06:12 PM   #51
mrkyleman

Drives: Chevrolet Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Wow. That is one hell of a deal. Was the dealer trying to unload it? That just sounds too good to be true though. Unless the dealer offered peanuts on the trade in with that guy how in the world did they even make any money off that deal?
They had just gotten it in that day and I took it without any CPO warranty (just factory). It was a little dirt, but besides that quite a steal I'd say? He buys a new car every time they get a new Camaro or Corvette so they must make some real $$$ off him.
mrkyleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 06:29 PM   #52
gtfoxy
Account Suspended

Drives: '21 Wild Cherry ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by ember1205 View Post
Trade values are meaningless. All that matters is "X" in the formula below:

My car + $X = New Car

When the dealer has to give top dollar for the trade, the offset with no discount off of the new price. When trade values are terrible, they have a lot more room to move on the selling price of the new car. Everyone gets all wrapped up in what the value is for their trade, but it makes zero difference in the grand scheme.
I agree.

We deal with trades & difference is what matters.

That being said, I had 3 or 4 I was looking at. Low mileage 19’s. All were in the ball bark of the same price for very comparable options. The dealer I went through gave me $3K more than the lowest offer. That’s more apples to apples. I didn’t even know I was also getting a free car cover until I went to buy it.

Maybe not necessarily related, but I only spoke to the salesman twice over the phone & a few texts. The next day after contacting them I dealt solely with their finance manager arranging the paperwork. They were very accommodating in knowing I knew how the business works & was on top of things on my end.
gtfoxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 09:35 PM   #53
CamaroSSStlfan
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by ember1205 View Post
I think a lot depends on the market, though, and may have also been influenced by possibly having a customer of the dealership that had been asking about a car like it. Plus, it could get CPO'd to jack the price further for the right buyer...

No dealership will sell a car at a loss. Many won't sell below a minimum profit amount. They hold it for a short time and then off to auction it goes. If the dealer bought the car at auction, it seems to not stay on their lot more than 30 days ("magic number"?) while a car they take in trade typically won't stay much longer. The costs associated with going to auction to both buy AND sell must help them write down the value to sell it to the next dealership to give it a try...

yea, I didn't get them to go much lower though since they were a few grand below blue book already. The sales manager even came and talked to me because he seemed impressed how I negotiated which I learned from my dad lol. It all came down to trade in I told them. They offered me $12,500 for my 2012 GT. I was even going to bite if they offered 11k because the AC was out, needed new brake pads, had some paint that needed to be touched up due to me hitting a trash can and two accidents on its history, but it had only 43,000 miles. They listed it for $17,500. I figured it cost them $1,500 to recondition the car including AC and all. If they sold it for $16,000 they made 2 grand on it and it doesn't include the $900 dealer fees for paperwork.

Many forget about dealer fees as a big profit maker.

Here in Florida there is no limit on dealer fees so sometimes you think you're getting a steal when you buy a car. Some dealers charge $1,200 paperwork fees!!!!!
Old 01-21-2021, 07:41 AM   #54
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Quote:
yea, I didn't get them to go much lower though since they were a few grand below blue book already. The sales manager even came and talked to me because he seemed impressed how I negotiated which I learned from my dad lol. It all came down to trade in I told them. They offered me $12,500 for my 2012 GT. I was even going to bite if they offered 11k because the AC was out, needed new brake pads, had some paint that needed to be touched up due to me hitting a trash can and two accidents on its history, but it had only 43,000 miles. They listed it for $17,500. I figured it cost them $1,500 to recondition the car including AC and all. If they sold it for $16,000 they made 2 grand on it and it doesn't include the $900 dealer fees for paperwork.

Many forget about dealer fees as a big profit maker.

Here in Florida there is no limit on dealer fees so sometimes you think you're getting a steal when you buy a car. Some dealers charge $1,200 paperwork fees!!!!!
In CT, there is no limit either (there was a bill proposed to cap them, but the dealerships lobbied to have it squashed). Some dealerships even advertise that the doc (conveyance) fees are mandatory and required by the state, but the law actually states that the dealers must tell customers that the fees are NOT payable to the state and are negotiable. I just redline them in the finance office and have walked when they got all huffy about it.

Dealerships will make you a "great deal" knowing full well that they are making quite a bit of profit on that line item to offset the so-called deal.
Old 01-21-2021, 07:49 AM   #55
Petrol Head
Account Suspended

Drives: Fast if no one's looking
I paid $42k for my '19 with a sticker of $47k and I see equivalents for sale around $40k with much more mileage than I have (I have around 3300 miles).

So far, at least the SSs and above seem to be holding their value pretty well.
Petrol Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2021, 12:05 PM   #56
CamaroSSStlfan
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petrol Head View Post
I paid $42k for my '19 with a sticker of $47k and I see equivalents for sale around $40k with much more mileage than I have (I have around 3300 miles).

So far, at least the SSs and above seem to be holding their value pretty well.

Camaro SS seems to always hold value more. Mustang GTs for example 2015-2019, the new generation don't seem to hold value as well used. Even low miles ones the dealers mark them down if they don't move.

Main reason IMO is because the SS is harder to find. Dealers don't carry a big inventory of them like Ford does with the Mustang GT.

The Mustang GT is mass produced and generally easier to find.

I decent Camaro SS at times can be quite hard to find within 60 miles of me.

Even the Dodge Challenger Scatpack, ones that are 3 or more years old don't seem to hold as much value as the Camaro even.

I was going to consider a 2016 Scatpack as it was about the same as a used SS but couldn't find any around me.