#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Specific Packages / Variants > 6th gen Camaro 1LE

AWE Tuning

Old 08-24-2020, 10:10 PM   #1
CC2018SS1LE

Drives: 2018 Chevy Camaro ss 1LE
ZL1 1LE rear adjustable sway at on a SS1LE

Has anyone tried to put the adjustable ZL1 1LE on a SS 1LE

I want to dial out the factory understeer, built into the SS1LE, any recommendations
I track my car, and that understeer, is slowing me down in decreasing radius turns.
CC2018SS1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 10:38 PM   #2
JamesNoBrakes

Drives: 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by CC2018SS1LE View Post
Has anyone tried to put the adjustable ZL1 1LE on a SS 1LE

I want to dial out the factory understeer, built into the SS1LE, any recommendations
I track my car, and that understeer, is slowing me down in decreasing radius turns.
Push gas pedal more.

2018 2SS 1LE
2023 Colorado ZR2
2022 Stinger GT-line AWD
JamesNoBrakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2020, 08:01 AM   #3
Alpha1BC

Drives: 2017 1SS 1LE
I've not tried it, but I'd assume just swapping the bar on it's own would be too much rear bar. If you haven't, try getting the track alignment first. That should get you very close to neutral. From there you can play with tire pressure settings.

Also, what drive mode are you using to track the car? If you're in anything lower than PTM Sport 2 you'll have ESC interventions that will cause the car to understeer more.
Old 08-25-2020, 09:58 AM   #4
CC2018SS1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha1BC View Post
I've not tried it, but I'd assume just swapping the bar on it's own would be too much rear bar. If you haven't, try getting the track alignment first. That should get you very close to neutral. From there you can play with tire pressure settings.

Also, what drive mode are you using to track the car? If you're in anything lower than PTM Sport 2 you'll have ESC interventions that will cause the car to understeer more.
I was using track 2
Have not done the track alignment. Because I also drive the car to and from track, and on streets.
Figured, that would kill my tires, 2deg negative camber, driving 3-4 hrs each way.

Thank you that was helpful
Old 08-25-2020, 10:07 AM   #5
DaveC113

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1SS 1LE
The car does have slight understeer balance even with track alignment and all nannies off, but it also allows more trail braking and getting on the gas earlier after the apex. I'm not experienced enough to tell if a stiffer rear bar would be helpful or not. I'd like to try it but the car is pretty awesome the way it is and I don't find myself wishing for more oversteer balance very often in autox.
Old 08-25-2020, 10:16 AM   #6
CC2018SS1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveC113 View Post
The car does have slight understeer balance even with track alignment and all nannies off, but it also allows more trail braking and getting on the gas earlier after the apex. I'm not experienced enough to tell if a stiffer rear bar would be helpful or not. I'd like to try it but the car is pretty awesome the way it is and I don't find myself wishing for more oversteer balance very often in autox.
I agree, the car is a beast. At PBIR , I blew away every car on the track, including a AMG Gt, Shelby GT350 on Hoosier slicks and a 650hp C6 Z06
My car is 100% stock, including tires.

I think I might try running in full track mode, and kick out the rear, with rear the throttle, in the tight turns.
Old 08-25-2020, 11:06 AM   #7
Scargoes

Drives: 2018 Hyper Blue 2SS 1LE
two things...
1) PTM race will still have traction control. you can slide it but you wont be able to hold much power on when the rear tires start to slip.
2) the ZLE rear bar in full stiff is softer than the SS 1LE bar. ZLE uses stiffer springs so a softer bar was used on that. Another member here has already done the swap and it made the understeer worse when compared to the SS1LE bar. A popular combo for the guys tracking is the Hotchkis front bar and the BMR rear bar. Several people have reported really good results with that combo both in Autocross and Track.

1:34.20 Willow Springs Big Track
Scargoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2020, 11:15 AM   #8
CC2018SS1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scargoes View Post
two things...
1) PTM race will still have traction control. you can slide it but you wont be able to hold much power on when the rear tires start to slip.
2) the ZLE rear bar in full stiff is softer than the SS 1LE bar. ZLE uses stiffer springs so a softer bar was used on that. Another member here has already done the swap and it made the understeer worse when compared to the SS1LE bar. A popular combo for the guys tracking is the Hotchkis front bar and the BMR rear bar. Several people have reported really good results with that combo both in Autocross and Track.
That’s very interesting, i might try that.

A little more neutral, would be much better for my driving style.

I thought in full track mode, everything is off, if not you can alway turn of T/C with the button on console
Old 08-25-2020, 11:16 AM   #9
Mountain

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE, 2016 1SS (previous)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scargoes View Post
two things...
This. In the stiffest position, it is roughly the same as FE3 (just a bit stiffer). The FEA rear bar on a SS 1LE will just cause the balance to go more towards "understeer" (i.o.w. less transfer to the front tires).
Mountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2020, 11:19 AM   #10
Mountain

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE, 2016 1SS (previous)
Quote:
That’s very interesting, i might try that.

A little more neutral, would be much better for my driving style.

I thought in full track mode, everything is off, if not you can alway turn of T/C with the button on console
"Full Track mode" meaning holding down the TC button for 5+ seconds, yes.

The car will feel more nimble in this setting compared to any of the PTM modes.
Mountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2020, 07:01 PM   #11
CC2018SS1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain View Post
"Full Track mode" meaning holding down the TC button for 5+ seconds, yes.

The car will feel more nimble in this setting compared to any of the PTM modes.
Yes I have had it in full track mode, but did not use it on the track, that way.
I guess there is a reason for all those electronics, (so you do not crash the car)
Old 08-26-2020, 09:24 AM   #12
TheRealJA105

Drives: 2013 C6Z06
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain View Post
This. In the stiffest position, it is roughly the same as FE3 (just a bit stiffer). The FEA rear bar on a SS 1LE will just cause the balance to go more towards "understeer" (i.o.w. less transfer to the front tires).
Yep, came here to say this. Go with a BMR rear bar.
TheRealJA105 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2020, 12:32 PM   #13
Matos1LE

Drives: SS 1LE
Quote:
I was using track 2
Have not done the track alignment. Because I also drive the car to and from track, and on streets.
Figured, that would kill my tires, 2deg negative camber, driving 3-4 hrs each way.

Thank you that was helpful
The wonky alignment that comes on them from the factory will kill your tires much, much faster than track alignment. My tires are wearing much more evenly with the track alignment despite tons of daily driving on the streets. Would recommend getting the alignment done before you change the sway bar.
Matos1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2020, 01:07 PM   #14
CC2018SS1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matos1LE View Post
The wonky alignment that comes on them from the factory will kill your tires much, much faster than track alignment. My tires are wearing much more evenly with the track alignment despite tons of daily driving on the streets. Would recommend getting the alignment done before you change the sway bar.
Thank you
Might just do that.
Does anyone know an alignment shop on Long Island. I heard horror stories if you don’t take to a good race shop