Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

AWE Tuning

Old 02-19-2021, 12:07 PM   #57
hawk02
Coupe Newbie

Drives: 2017 ZL1, 2021 Corvette Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by LT4Greg View Post
Dang Hawk, that C8 looks so much like a Ferrari that it’s unreal!
I agree. The nacelles on the convertible do give it more of an exotic look. Of course the downside is you can’t see the engine. But I’m Ok with that. I spend enough time detailing the engine bay of My ZL1. It will be refreshing not to have to worry about it on the C8.
Old 02-19-2021, 12:12 PM   #58
ZX-10R

Drives: 2019 ZL1 Riverside
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z OH 6 View Post
Yea, the Z06 and the ZR1 are going to blow everything out the water I think. If there's ONE thing I would change about the C8 it would be that is has about 650-700hp and it would probably be perfect. The Z06 should be very close to that, the ZR1 will certainly exceed it. Ultimately, we're comparing the best Camaro chassis and engine ever made to the base model C8. That's really impressive that they're this close. All future versions of the C8 are going to be amazing, I kid you not. The C8 chassis is just that good.
I agree with most of this - the chassis is very good. The Z06 should be amazing. However, it doesn't have the lines/wow factor of a high end sports car in my view, it's kind of mass production angular, maybe even gaudy in some respects.

In the end it will still be a vette, with the mid-50s-guy-with-a-paunch stigma (just as the Camaro will always have the redneck stigma, but I'm ok with that)

Put the vette next to a McLaren (or a Ferrari) and it all becomes clear
ZX-10R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2021, 01:24 PM   #59
hawk02
Coupe Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZX-10R View Post
I agree with most of this - the chassis is very good. The Z06 should be amazing. However, it doesn't have the lines/wow factor of a high end sports car in my view, it's kind of mass production angular, maybe even gaudy in some respects.

In the end it will still be a vette, with the mid-50s-guy-with-a-paunch stigma (just as the Camaro will always have the redneck stigma, but I'm ok with that)

I agree but I think you have to put this in the right context. What Chevy is offering at this price point is nothing short of amazing. Few of those mid-50s-guys-with-a-paunch can afford a $200,000 McLaren or Ferrari. But they can afford a massed produced Corvette with performance on par with many of those high priced exotics.
Old 02-19-2021, 01:47 PM   #60
Alain

Drives: 2016 Challenger Hellcat, 2018 ZL1LE
Great color combo !!!!!

I'm so happy GM finally did something good with the interior of the Corvette !!! I passed on a C6 and C7 Grand Sport because I couldn't stand the interiors !!

2018 ZL1 1LE/Red hot

2019 Shellby GT 350R/ Oxford white/ Matte Black Stripes/ Carbon Fiber Dash/ Electronics Package #413
Alain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2021, 02:29 PM   #61
Chutzpah

Drives: Wild Cherry LT1
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZX-10R View Post

Wow, a couple guys toss up pictures of their new rides and you mock the look, the “type” of owner and further crap on the C8 by comparing others costing substantially more. Nice...

I’d die for these guys C8’s, and still be able keep my Z.
All spoken by a 54 year old, with no paunch.
Chutzpah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2021, 06:25 PM   #62
gtfoxy
Account Suspended

Drives: '21 Wild Cherry ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chutzpah View Post
Wow, a couple guys toss up pictures of their new rides and you mock the look, the “type” of owner and further crap on the C8 by comparing others costing substantially more. Nice...

What’s a paunch?

If it’s shaped like a soup can then my old lady likes my paunch.
gtfoxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2021, 06:36 PM   #63
Z OH 6

Drives: 2021 Red Hot ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alain View Post
Great color combo !!!!!

I'm so happy GM finally did something good with the interior of the Corvette !!! I passed on a C6 and C7 Grand Sport because I couldn't stand the interiors !!
The C7 interior was a big step in the right direction, the C6 interior looks really dated.
Z OH 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2021, 06:43 PM   #64
Z OH 6

Drives: 2021 Red Hot ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chutzpah View Post

45 here and no paunch. Corvette's today are owned by a wide variety of age groups. I owned my first Corvette when I was a senior in high school. It was a C4, 1986 model and it was in rough shape, 110K miles and the paint was in bad shape but I didn't care, I thought it was cool. I later owned a C5, 2003 Z06 when I was 29 years old, haven't had another until last year when the wife and I picked up the C8, 2020 Corvette Z51.
Z OH 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2021, 06:48 PM   #65
JSH

Drives: '20 ZLE
Most here will live to see all-electric fleets so enjoy these cars while you can
2/23 - 1031/1004 wheel.
4/23 - 1.41/9.61/145 at DA 7000 ft. (only made five passes).
2/24 - LME 390, E2650, FBO, 100 oct.; 1116hp/ 1063tq; 109 oct. dyno next.
JSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2021, 07:40 PM   #66
Chutzpah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z OH 6 View Post
45 here and no paunch. Corvette's today are owned by a wide variety of age groups. I owned my first Corvette when I was a senior in high school. It was a C4, 1986 model and it was in rough shape, 110K miles and the paint was in bad shape but I didn't care, I thought it was cool. I later owned a C5, 2003 Z06 when I was 29 years old, haven't had another until last year when the wife and I picked up the C8, 2020 Corvette Z51.
Yep, I agree. I’ve seen a total of (3) C8’s, one guy w/ his wife.. clearly in their late 60’s, and two guys, both in their late 20’s or early 30’s. At this price point, a lot of people can buy one, when they’re available. I had the option of ordering a C8 instead of the Z, but let that go. It would be an even tighter squeeze into my garage...
Old 02-19-2021, 07:44 PM   #67
Chutzpah

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtfoxy View Post
What’s a paunch?

If it’s shaped like a soup can then my old lady likes my paunch.
The most important part is that she likes it...
Old 02-20-2021, 07:34 AM   #68
hawk02
Coupe Newbie

My love for cars all started with a Corvette.

Buddy I ran around with in college had a ‘66 with a 427, side-pipes, hurst shifter. We had a break between classes and went to his house to kill time. He took me for a ride in his Corvette and jumped on it as we were going down Freebis Ave on the southside of Columbus. I had never been thrown back in the seat by any car until that ride. It was loud, the car fishtailed a bit and from then on I was hooked on automobiles.

I never wanted to own a Corvette until the C7. After owning three 5th gen Camaros, I almost bought a C7 Z06 just to change things up. My dealer received an allocation for a ‘17 ZL1 and asked if I was interested. I said call me when it comes in. They did and I bought the ZL1 that day instead of the Z06.

When Chevy introduced the C8 coupe, I though it was an interesting car but not interesting enough to buy one. The introduction of the C8 retractable hard top changed all that.

There was never any thought of trading in my ZL1 for the C8. I’ve got a lot of time and money invested in the Camaro and just love that car. It’s one of the best looking cars on the road as far as I’m concerned. Also one of the best values.

The 14 month wait for the C8 allowed me to save some money so I could afford it without having to trade in the ZL1.

And yes, I’m in my late 60’s, have a little paunch and love the fact that I now own four Chevrolets.
Old 02-20-2021, 05:41 PM   #69
Realist

Drives: No Camaro :(
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawk02 View Post
My love for cars all started with a Corvette.

Buddy I ran around with in college had a ‘66 with a 427, side-pipes, hurst shifter. We had a break between classes and went to his house to kill time. He took me for a ride in his Corvette and jumped on it as we were going down Freebis Ave on the southside of Columbus. I had never been thrown back in the seat by any car until that ride. It was loud, the car fishtailed a bit and from then on I was hooked on automobiles.

I never wanted to own a Corvette until the C7. After owning three 5th gen Camaros, I almost bought a C7 Z06 just to change things up. My dealer received an allocation for a ‘17 ZL1 and asked if I was interested. I said call me when it comes in. They did and I bought the ZL1 that day instead of the Z06.

When Chevy introduced the C8 coupe, I though it was an interesting car but not interesting enough to buy one. The introduction of the C8 retractable hard top changed all that.

There was never any thought of trading in my ZL1 for the C8. I’ve got a lot of time and money invested in the Camaro and just love that car. It’s one of the best looking cars on the road as far as I’m concerned. Also one of the best values.

The 14 month wait for the C8 allowed me to save some money so I could afford it without having to trade in the ZL1.

And yes, I’m in my late 60’s, have a little paunch and love the fact that I now own four Chevrolets.
Late 60’s is the new 40’s. When ya head back to Ohio, I’m gonna be the caring and giving guy that I am and take care of the Vette and home in Florida for ya. Just let me know
Realist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2021, 10:04 PM   #70
hawk02
Coupe Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Realist View Post
Late 60’s is the new 40’s. When ya head back to Ohio, I’m gonna be the caring and giving guy that I am and take care of the Vette and home in Florida for ya. Just let me know
It’s so kind of you to want to take care of my Vette and Florida home when I go back to Ohio. Unfortunately, the bad news is I’m driving the C8 back to Ohio and the home is a rental unit. But thanks for the offer.