Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Bigwormgraphix

Old 02-05-2021, 07:29 PM   #29
KLG

Drives: 2016 2SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum922 View Post
I am going to change my oil myself and I am reading a lot of differences that people say the camaro SS oil capacity is. It ranges from 9.5 quarts to 10.5 quarts. I wonder if it's a question of how they Jack the car up to change it. Front up in the air on ramps or jacking the whole car up level on stands. Maybe you get more old oil drained one way as opposed to the other?
I have the front end on ramps, about a 6" rise. I drain the oil with the engine warm to hot. I usually let it drain for an hour or so.

New filter and 10 quarts back in.

With the car level and after running briefly to circulate the fresh oil, it puts the level about in the middle of the cross-hatched area of the dip-stick.
Attached Images

2016 2SS Convertible; SIM; Black & Ceramic White interior; M6; NPP; DD LED side marker lamps & back-up lamps; LED trunk lamps, license plate lamps & front T/S lamps; 3rd brake light pulser; Skip-shift eliminator; Borla s-type non-npp axle backs; Weather-Tech floor mats, trunk mat, rear license plate frame/cover; GM fuel door; ZL1addons rock guards; Removed fender badges, front & rear SS badges; JLT CAI, tune, oil separator; RP Synchromax in transmission; RP MaxGear in rear differential; GM Lowering Suspension Upgrade; Dimple oil filter magnets & magnetic oil drain plug; 3M Ceramic window tint.
KLG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2021, 08:03 PM   #30
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Drives: '20 2SS Convertible 6MT
The oil check procedure in the manual is pretty much worthless. Follow the general suggested method of checking when the engine is cold (sat overnight) and you should always be able to get consistent readings.

As long as the oil is within the hashed area on the dip stick, there's nothing to do.
ember1205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2021, 08:12 PM   #31
Need4Camaro

Drives: '17 Camaro 2SS & '99 Camaro Z28
I am just dead curious on one thing. I’m not exactly objecting to anything but just wondering, why did they give the LT1 engines a high oil capacity? I didn’t own a 5th Gen SS but the 4th Gen LS1’s and LS6’s only took 5.5 Quarts. I’m not sure if the LS3’s do. But anyway I know these motors are two generations apart but is there any reason the LT1 requires more oil than its precedors?
Need4Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2021, 08:29 PM   #32
CamaroSSStlfan
Account Suspended

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
How much is an oil change for an SS running at your local chevy dealers for full synthetic right now?
CamaroSSStlfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2021, 09:32 PM   #33
Need4Camaro

Drives: '17 Camaro 2SS & '99 Camaro Z28
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSSStlfan View Post
How much is an oil change for an SS running at your local chevy dealers for full synthetic right now?
Mine costs about $110 for Mobil 1 Full Syn
Need4Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2021, 11:25 PM   #34
2SS Capt
2020 Shadow Gray 2SS

Drives: 2020 2SS - A10, NPP, MRC, CAI
Quote:
Mine costs me about $105 USD doing it myself... If the dealer is charging you less than $150 USD I'd be suspect to which oil they are using...
Added after delivery: - GMP CAI, GMP Black Strut Tower Brace, MRR017 1LE Wheels, SS Armrest, Black Fuel Door, Stainless Sport Pedals, SS Wheel Caps, Black Lugs/Locks, GM Splash Guards, DD Smoked LED Markers, Smoked Rear Reflectors, Mishimoto Catch Can, Xpel PPF - Full Front, SunTek 35% Tint, CeramicPro coating, RST Stainless Brake Lines, Castrol SRF, MSD Super Conductor Wires

Left: My "fun" ride. Right: My "work" ride: a Gulfstream G600. One's top speed is 180 Mph, the other, 620 Mph...
2SS Capt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2021, 06:38 AM   #35
SSDan

Drives: 2016 1SS 6MT NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
I am just dead curious on one thing. I’m not exactly objecting to anything but just wondering, why did they give the LT1 engines a high oil capacity?
I'm sure others can give you a better technical answer but as I understand it GM wanted an all around performer (drag strip and road course) in the Gen 6. So much so that they were willing to honor drivetrain warranty for track use. To back that up the SS and ZL1 models come with three radiators plus coolers for engine oil, tranny and rear diff plus the high capacity oil pan to avoid high G oil starvation when used on the track.

2010 Camaro 2SS Cam/Headers/CAI/3.91 gears
476 rwhp/440 rwtq (sold)
SSDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2021, 06:39 AM   #36
SSDan

Drives: 2016 1SS 6MT NPP
Quote:
Mine costs about $110 for Mobil 1 Full Syn
I paid $130.00 for the same.

2010 Camaro 2SS Cam/Headers/CAI/3.91 gears
476 rwhp/440 rwtq (sold)
SSDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2021, 07:03 AM   #37
vtirocz

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by KLG View Post
I have the front end on ramps, about a 6" rise. I drain the oil with the engine warm to hot. I usually let it drain for an hour or so.

New filter and 10 quarts back in.

With the car level and after running briefly to circulate the fresh oil, it puts the level about in the middle of the cross-hatched area of the dip-stick.
That exactly matches with my experience. I always ensure I drain it for a long time, put exactly 10qt in, start car, check on level surface, and the level is always 1/2 way up the dipstick hashmark.

Best 1/4 Mile: 12.24 @ 115.9 mph
vtirocz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2021, 07:24 AM   #38
vtirocz

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1SS M6
Quote:
I am just dead curious on one thing. I’m not exactly objecting to anything but just wondering, why did they give the LT1 engines a high oil capacity? I didn’t own a 5th Gen SS but the 4th Gen LS1’s and LS6’s only took 5.5 Quarts. I’m not sure if the LS3’s do. But anyway I know these motors are two generations apart but is there any reason the LT1 requires more oil than its precedors?
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSDan View Post
I'm sure others can give you a better technical answer but as I understand it GM wanted an all around performer (drag strip and road course) in the Gen 6. So much so that they were willing to honor drivetrain warranty for track use. To back that up the SS and ZL1 models come with three radiators plus coolers for engine oil, tranny and rear diff plus the high capacity oil pan to avoid high G oil starvation when used on the track.
I think SSDan is correct here. The 6th gen LT1 has a large oil cooler setup,
piston cooling nozzles (both adding volume), and likely the pan has larger volume/design to ensure adequate scavenge performance at the lateral/braking loads of the SS 1LE (uses same oil circuit / cooling package as non-1LE).

For comparison, the C7 version of the LT1 without the Z51 package has a capacity of 7 qt., while the Z51 (w/ dry sump setup) has a capacity of 9.8qt.

Best 1/4 Mile: 12.24 @ 115.9 mph
vtirocz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2021, 08:33 AM   #39
Magnum922

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS, A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum922 View Post
I'll do that and let you know tomorrow. Thanks
Checked it this morning. It's almost half. ( 10 quarts )
Attached Images

Old 02-06-2021, 08:40 AM   #40
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2SS Capt View Post
Mine costs me about $105 USD doing it myself... If the dealer is charging you less than $150 USD I'd be suspect to which oil they are using...
My dealership has a fairly reasonable cost for the oil changes in my truck and they use full syn. While I don't disagree that you should question what oil is being used, it is possible that the dealership could simply understand that they have to be competitive on price to keep the business.

It costs me under $40 to do my own because I use 5W-30 dexos1 oil that's GM certified but not a major brand name...
Old 02-06-2021, 08:12 PM   #41
CamaroSSStlfan
Account Suspended

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by ember1205 View Post
My dealership has a fairly reasonable cost for the oil changes in my truck and they use full syn. While I don't disagree that you should question what oil is being used, it is possible that the dealership could simply understand that they have to be competitive on price to keep the business.

It costs me under $40 to do my own because I use 5W-30 dexos1 oil that's GM certified but not a major brand name...

Wal-mart will be about 25 percent cheaper than the dealer. The wal-mart by me I have to say isn't bad. I took my Mustang there for oil changes and batteries and never any issues.

Took my Dads Sonata years back to the dealer for the oil change and they didn't screw the oil filter tight enough and that was a disaster when I left the dealer.

Depending on dealer you go to it's not always the best place. I'm just not used to taking a car and paying dealer prices but I dunno with these engines I wanna trust just anyone doing it. At least if dealer Fs up I might get it fixed easier.
CamaroSSStlfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2021, 08:27 AM   #42
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Quote:
Wal-mart will be about 25 percent cheaper than the dealer. The wal-mart by me I have to say isn't bad. I took my Mustang there for oil changes and batteries and never any issues.

Took my Dads Sonata years back to the dealer for the oil change and they didn't screw the oil filter tight enough and that was a disaster when I left the dealer.

Depending on dealer you go to it's not always the best place. I'm just not used to taking a car and paying dealer prices but I dunno with these engines I wanna trust just anyone doing it. At least if dealer Fs up I might get it fixed easier.

It's all about the individual, really. I've had really great service from "cheap" places and pretty poor service from "expensive" places. In fact, one of the absolute worst service experiences I've ever had was at MacMulkin Chevrolet in Nashua and they're lauded as one of the premiere Corvette dealerships out there.

In all seriousness, do oil changes yourself. I always did them myself until the very late 90's. At that point, I had moved into a condo complex where the units didn't have garages and you were expressly prohibited from doing any work on your vehicles in the parking lots. I continued paying someone else to do my maintenance until I bought the Camaro and now I'm back under the hood for the oil changes and such. It's simple, saves me quite a bit of money, affords me an opportunity to do a close-up check on things all around the car, and I know it's done right.