Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 6th gen Camaro vs...

Bigwormgraphix

Old 01-07-2017, 09:18 PM   #29
BigShow1960
BigShow

Drives: 2017 1 Camaro + Chevy Avalanche
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casalino View Post
... The issue is that his is a convertible so its not exactly designed to be taken around a track but by definition you can say it is. But the coupe is the one you want for tracks.
The 911 cab is made for the track. A coupe will be stiffer and lighter, but there's no safety related reason not to take a cab to the track. Whatever car you bring to the track they won't let you on the track if it's not safe.

http://www.porsche.com/international...er-protection/
BigShow1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 09:00 AM   #30
Casalino

Drives: 17' 1LE BLK
Hey guys, a quick update on this 911 vs 1LE topic. I've owned my camaro almost exactly 1 month from now. I put on just over 900 miles! I'm driving the heck out of it so I can break it in and get it on a track soon since the season is coming!

I think I couldn't have a made a better choice. I was looking for a car to give me a similar feel handling wise like the porsche. The turn in on this thing is better! understood since it has way bigger front tires and more weight up front to give you that grab. They feel similar through the corners, you feel the weight on the camaro a little bit more. The difference is when you put the throttle down midway thru the corner! The porsche, having 4wd hooks to the pavement, and pulls you thru the turn faster than no ones business. The camaro kicks that back out, but very controllable, and kicks you right in the ass out of the corner!

The porsche obviously is more practical. Getting in and out is easier and is a big deal if you're like my father. He has had 3 ACL surgeries in his knee and his back has been performed on as well. We are skiers in this family lol. Its a big deal how he can get in and out of a car. The porsche obviously has better visibility and more headroom. With a passenger you feel closer together than the camaro. It worked out in my favor taking a few girls out in pop's porsche

Overall, the camaro rides better! You heard me! Okay the porsche is and feels lighter and more nimble, but if you were to cruise the camaro takes bumps slightly better.
The power delivery is obvious as well. You have more fun in the camaro with all the low end torque. I don't want to say more fun, actually easier to drive. What you get in the porsche is that when you want to pass someone, you drop that sucker down a few gears and let the flat 6 rip. The sound at high rpms on the 911 is insane and when you shift up there, god its the greatest feeling. The camaro you get lazy since you leave it in whatever gear, roll on the throttle and you hear that v8 grunt and pull you. The porsche is this nice and easy car, then you downshift it, and it flies!

What i've said in other threads. The clutch on the porsche is a million years ahead of the camaro. Its stiffer in just the right way. Feels way better. You feel that gear engage under your left foot right at that point. Its the best feeling in the world. I was upset, but not shocked when i felt how easy the clutch on the camaro is. Gear changes, the camaro is just about the same as the 911. Both stick's are very snappy. The porsche sometimes gets finicky going into a gear, but i find it happening when you are low in the rpm's, little throttle, and you are pushing too hard to go in gear. But if you just let it go into gear, you get that snap. If you are ripping it, heavy on the throttle, way up at 5k plus in the rpms, the shifts are brilliant.

Both cars i would consider on the same boat performance wise. The porsche wins with the fit and finish, luxury, and everyday driving capability. But this camaro gives me way more laughs on a normal driving road

Oh and the looks. Cause even though we don't say, we all care what other people see of you when your on the road. When you drive the porsche, well I should say, when i drive it people look at me way different than the camaro. Being 23, i drive the porsche and people look at me like some snotty rich kid. Some people think, and one girl asked me, if i was a star. They see a young guy driving a blacked out convertible 911 with long blonde hair, i guess you see the point.

But what i'm getting at here is that in the porsche, people look at the driver. In the camaro, people look at the car. All i get all day in the camaro are thumbs up. Yeah you get people who first look at the car, then look at me with a bad look. Thinking that someone bought me this new car. But most people just absolutely love the car! I drove the porsche more at this moment, not once did a get a thumbs up. Just as many people looking, but never a comment about the car or anything, just about me. The camaro i've had people stopping to take pictures, people asking me to rev it, little kids pulling the windows down. Everything. That's you difference in looks between the two
Casalino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 09:44 AM   #31
WhyUMad1LE

Drives: 17 SS 1LE
I love the widemouthed stares from little kids.. no pedo lol
WhyUMad1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 10:12 AM   #32
Casalino

Of course! Cause when I was a little kid, i would go crazy seeing cars i love. And when i see a kid all happy and excited. I rev it up a little for them cause I know that's what i would have wanted when i was little. You want to encourage the younger gear heads, in a safe manner of course. Nothing like making a little kids day
Old 02-13-2017, 03:59 PM   #33
camarofan12345

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS 1LE
Nice write up Casilino! Thanks. I'm eagerly waiting for my 1LE to be build at the end of Feb. Can't wait!
camarofan12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 04:27 PM   #34
Casalino

Quote:
Originally Posted by camarofan12345 View Post
Nice write up Casilino! Thanks. I'm eagerly waiting for my 1LE to be build at the end of Feb. Can't wait!
the wait is always worth it. You'll be stunned at how good it is. Very composed on the normal roads, hits bumps well. All of this for a car that run's half a second slower than a brand new gtr. The looks you get are great. Everyone loves the car. Every car that pulls up besides you will look down staring at the front wheels and hood. The weight of the car is a plus for me. NO one ever discusses that. Makes the car feel more planted and more comfortable. The steering is similar to the 911 as well. Now they put electronic steering, so the great steering feel on the 911's has went away for the most part. So steering is very similar in my opinion. Both cars feel like they are glued on tracks when you do some light turning back and forth. Also, when you select track on the camaro, equivalent to the sport plus feature on the porsche, both make similar changes. Both feel like they are actually changing the dampening, steering and throttle response. THe porsche gives you a bigger difference with stiffening the dampers, the camaro gives a bigger change with the throttle response. Both cars make steering stiffer the same way
Old 04-19-2017, 07:41 PM   #35
c4racer

Drives: 2016 SS Convertible
Nice cars - they look good together !

The clutch is the one thing I don't like on the Camaro compared to my BMW M5. And I've own a 911 - similar heavy clutch with good analog feel and release point. Much easier to drive and launch hard vs the Camaro. It's so light you get no feel for the release point and then it releases too quickly vs the travel. Don't like it. Hard to get used to. I like a good stiff clutch with some feel to it. What GM did would probably be ok for a 4 cyl but not a 455hp V8.
c4racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 08:11 PM   #36
Casalino

Got some pics of me and pop's cars out today
Attached Images

Old 04-19-2017, 08:15 PM   #37
Ryephile
Hot Dog

Drives: '17 1SS 1LE
Fantastic looking pair of fine automobiles you have there!
Old 04-20-2017, 06:59 AM   #38
Casalino

Thanks for the compliments guys! He says i neglect his car since i got mine. But the camaro is just too good!
Old 10-10-2020, 07:26 PM   #39
ggaites

Drives: 2021 ZL1 6MT
I enjoy driving my 1LE more than any Porsche I have spent time driving (‘18 Turbo S, ‘15 GT3, ‘12 Boxster). The Turbo S and GT3 are amazing and impressive and all that and more, but the 1LE delivers more practical thrills on the street. I come out of turns in 2nd and the MRC, E-diff, and SC3’s - it just sticks.

Ps. If you think my opinion is biased based on affordability, you are correct.
Old 10-11-2020, 12:21 PM   #40
TRZ06

Drives: 22' Porsche PDK GT4
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggaites View Post
I enjoy driving my 1LE more than any Porsche I have spent time driving (‘18 Turbo S, ‘15 GT3, ‘12 Boxster). The Turbo S and GT3 are amazing and impressive and all that and more, but the 1LE delivers more practical thrills on the street. I come out of turns in 2nd and the MRC, E-diff, and SC3’s - it just sticks.

Ps. If you think my opinion is biased based on affordability, you are correct.
Taking affordability out of it, do you get as much stick from the GT3?

The SS 1LE is awesome with high limits, but its also heavy and when thrown around, you can feel that weight.

I am moving from the SS 1LE to a 2021 PDK GT4 next year for the mid-engine, light weight, high revving motor, and DCT tranny.

Previous:
18' NFG 2SS 1LE (ZL1 1LE solid rear cradle bushings & Corsa Exhaust)
16' F80 M3 (Ohlin R/T Coilovers)
13' Audi TTRS (APR Stage 1, MSS Springs)
09' C6 Z06
08' E90 M3
06' 335i (KW V2 Coilovers)
03' C5 Z06
TRZ06 is offline   Reply With Quote