Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics

Old 09-28-2020, 11:46 PM   #1
flynbiya

Drives: Ford Raptor
Alpine + Z/28

What a huge upgrade for the overall driving experience! I have been flirting with the idea of selling the car but after a few attempts, I just keep talking myself out of it as I will never find a car that checks all the boxes like the Z. I needed to get over the keeping it stock, saving it for the next guy mindset.

The one thing it was missing was tunes and a proper interface. I felt the same way with my 05 Evo MR. It was a 10k car with a 30k drivetrain.

The 9" Alpine Halo changed that completely. Fully integrated to include climate, track gauges, lap times, Apple Car Play, etc. What a game changer!

Wanted to share a few pics as its the first I have seen. The dash kit is slick too which eliminated the climate dials, relocated all hard buttons to the top so the Alpine unit isn't covering anything up.

Happy driving!
Attached Images

Old 09-29-2020, 12:50 AM   #2
AustexaSS
Build Date - Dec 08, 2014

Drives: 2015 Z/28, #1007, Black A/C Stereo
Well ain’t that just swanky, do tell! What’s it cost? Is it plug and play or is there a lot of additional wiring needed to run under the dash? Can you customize the screens? How sturdy is it in its mounting?
AustexaSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 03:54 AM   #3
SIM GhostrdrZ

Drives: ‘14 Z/28 ‘14 ZL1 M6 vert
Welcome to the modern cam1+great aftermarket stereo option era. Everything is 100% reversible to factory if desired within 15 minutes or less. My choice was just a kenwood that has same features only fits within the cam1 install kit. It plugs into obdII outlet so you can even view and reset the codes from stereo screen.
Attached Images

SIM GhostrdrZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 06:09 AM   #4
pat_t

Drives: .
Quote:
Originally Posted by SIM GhostrdrZ View Post
Welcome to the modern cam1+great aftermarket stereo option era. Everything is 100% reversible to factory if desired within 15 minutes or less. My choice was just a kenwood that has same features only fits within the cam1 install kit. It plugs into obdII outlet so you can even view and reset the codes from stereo screen.
Tell me more! How does it manage the climate control through the OBD port?
pat_t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 07:09 AM   #5
SIM GhostrdrZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by pat_t View Post
Tell me more! How does it manage the climate control through the OBD port?
It doesn’t manage climate through obd port. You need to purchase an idatalink capable stereo and the climate control is a top button that will display control via touchscreen on the stereo screen. It’s a cam1 setup if you research it and the idatalink capable stereos, you can learn much more than I can explain. The software allows you to add or adjust the steering wheel controls as well as the face plate hard buttons to do just about any variety of features your car came with. When I had it in my V6 Camaro, I had buttons programmed to turn on my heated seats, Doesn’t work for the Z28. Get a flat screen such as flynbia or a non CD/dvd player so you can get the short case and the install wires fit really nice behind the stereo(no cutting plastic or jamming wires in crevices).

The idatalink just allows access to obd port to show a variety of info on the stereo face as was shown. It’s the best 5th gen stereo kit, if you can get over not having dials and if you paint to match(because the color just doesn’t match any interior trim pieces how they come).

Plus for all of those cutting up your cars to lose an ounce(gram) of weight. This setup is lighter than the factory boat anchor.
Old 09-29-2020, 07:59 AM   #6
Palutz
Banned

Drives: 22 ZLE M6
Will Sirius XM still work with the radio swaps?
Palutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 08:15 AM   #7
SIM GhostrdrZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palutz View Post
Will Sirius XM still work with the radio swaps?
That will depend on your aftermarket stereo(head unit) since your factory stereo had xm integrated into it. Most do not include xm but are xm ready, meaning you must purchase a xm radio tuner that will allow xm use. I don’t use xm but I did get a xm tuner just in case I wanted later or if they open up there free listening times. I use car play and stream my music via Bluetooth with Spotify,pandora, etc.
Old 09-29-2020, 09:43 AM   #8
HoodCheck

Drives: 2018 ZLE (M6/hyper blue)
Did you go with the f259 or f309? I was debating getting one (but with the PAC dash kit to maintain the stock knob look). I have a samsung tablet hooked up now and working on getting the reverse camera hooked up through there, but still debating eventually going with the f309.
HoodCheck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 10:02 AM   #9
Mark_Z28

Drives: Black 2015 Z28 #457
To the OP, that looks great! which head unit and kit did you use? Would like to do the same. Lose any functionality at all?
Mark_Z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 10:06 AM   #10
HoodCheck

Drives: 2018 ZLE (M6/hyper blue)
This is what it looks like with the PAC dash kit btw (not my images, just ones I found when looking into these)
https://www.facebook.com/fivestarcar...2336054456986/
HoodCheck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 11:32 AM   #11
flynbiya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_Z28 View Post
To the OP, that looks great! which head unit and kit did you use? Would like to do the same. Lose any functionality at all?

Alpine Halo9 ILX-F309, the dash kit was provided by the shop that installed. There are 2 different versions, one that retains the AC knobs, and mine that eliminates and moves to top which I much prefer visually.

The system rocks. The physical buttons for climate and info are handy, but I find myself using the digital interface almost exclusively.
Old 09-29-2020, 11:34 AM   #12
flynbiya

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIM GhostrdrZ View Post
Thats the same dash kit I used. Looks great man!
Old 09-29-2020, 12:08 PM   #13
Silver14

Drives: 2014 SIM 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by flynbiya View Post
Alpine Halo9 ILX-F309, the dash kit was provided by the shop that installed. There are 2 different versions, one that retains the AC knobs, and mine that eliminates and moves to top which I much prefer visually.

The system rocks. The physical buttons for climate and info are handy, but I find myself using the digital interface almost exclusively.

Great install! Will you share a general price range for the install?
Silver14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 12:21 PM   #14
flynbiya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver14 View Post
Great install! Will you share a general price range for the install?
I used the local high end audio shop that has a reputation for being expensive but does high quality work and it was around $1800 total. Not bad considering the cost of parts. I also got a free Alpine rear camera as my existing one was having issues and it was cheaper for them to install a new quality part than continue to try and rig the old camera. Top notch guys.