#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Phastek Performance

Old 09-25-2020, 07:27 AM   #1
Petrol Head
Account Suspended

Drives: Fast if no one's looking
General Motors Autoshow-In-Motion

Just wondering who remembers when GM used to have the "Autoshow-In-Motion", or maybe some of you GM employees perhaps worked it.

From about 2003-2008 GM used to tour the country with their new cars, along with many from different competitors, and you could take them out on a short drive around a large parking lot where they held the event. Usually at a large city's main convention center or arena where there is substantially large parking area.

I'm just bringing this up because last week the company that operates Cleveland's International Exposition Center (IX Center) announced they were going out of business due to covid and shutting down our beloved IX Center. It's where all of the regular Cleveland Auto Shows have been since 1985, and where the GM Autoshow-In-Motion was held.

The AIM was an invite-only event as well, so it wasn't open to the public. Admission was actually free and it even included a lunch inside an air conditioned tent. GM really went all out with these, similar to a press event but open to more than just media.

I think I got the invites because I'd always fill out the cards on the brochures you get at the regular auto shows to get the more in-depth brochures on specific cars lol.

Not only did they have all the regular cars from Buick, Chevy, Cadillac, they also had the GTO, Corvette, and CTS-V on a track set up with your choices of manual or automatic. They also had a Hummer H2 you could take off road on the construction site beyond the parking lot with some real hills and ditches they dug out and built, and the guy even had me come to a complete stop at a 45 degree angle!

They also had Accords, Camrys, Lexus, BMW, VW, Ford, Chryslers..... all the competitors.

It was an all day thing. You'd get there about 9:00 in the morning and be there till like 5:00 driving all the different cars. They had little tents set up with a sign showing which cars were at that tent, then you'd wait in line to drive the car you wanted. Some of the tents had snacks and pop/water.

GM really did a great job with this event and I wish they'd bring it back some day.
Petrol Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 01:18 PM   #2
CamaroSkooter
Retarded One-Legged Owl

Drives: 2010 Black Camaro 2SS
I can't remember which year I went, but it was a blast! Test drove the Corvette as well as the SSR and the H3 (I think).

My VIN = 2G1FK1EJ9A9105017
Build Date: 04-23-2009 according to:
http://www.compnine.com/vid.php
CamaroSkooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2020, 03:06 PM   #3
Petrol Head
Account Suspended

Drives: Fast if no one's looking
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSkooter View Post
I can't remember which year I went, but it was a blast! Test drove the Corvette as well as the SSR and the H3 (I think).
Yeah I drove a 6 speed manual SSR which I think they only offered with a manual for 1 or 2 years. I drove the Corvette 6 speed every year and the CTS-V 6 speed once.
Petrol Head is offline   Reply With Quote