Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

Bigwormgraphix

Old 09-27-2020, 02:50 PM   #1
Keebler

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS FIFTY
Caliper rebuild or just replace seals?

I'm getting my SS (non-1le) ready for my next HPDE and I noticed that I have some melted/torn brake caliper boots. I found a thread where someone suggested these seals from RB that come with blue "high temp" boots https://racingbrake.com/c7-41bs .

Should I rebuild the calipers or can I get away with just replacing the boots?
Keebler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 04:05 PM   #2
driven2exceSS

Drives: 2016 2SS BLK A8 Vert
There are a couple that have gone this route and did not see the RB -blue "high temp" boots hold up or do any better. I was extremely careful to not get brake fluid on my dust seals/boots during the rebuild, and they still melted even in the rears. IMHO save the money and get OEM dust seal/boots. No idea if the oil seals are any better, as OEM did not show any degradation. Nor have the RB oil seals that I know of. I do believe the stainless cut pistons are worth something if doing a complete rebuild. Call me crazy... but I have run the dust boots in the compromised state. So regarding your choice options, I'd choose just replace the boots, and do a rebuild during the winter/off season.
NPP, MRC, Tinted side & rear reflectors, OEM ZL1 Rockers / 3rd Brake / Darken tail lights, OEM Blk rear splash guards, Satin hood wrap, Fuse pull, Sound tube delete, Cat delete, Ported 95 TB, Ported MSD IM, Dry RotoFab, ARH 1 7/8 headers, E85, "Performance Dyno" Tune, BMR "pieces", "Track" alignment, Hawk DCT-70/70's w/SRF, Goodridge lines, Ti shims, Red powdered calipers, 18" APEX SM-10's w/ Pirelli DH's, FE4 Vert swaybars, Brake cooling ducts, ATI 10% UD, Vorshlag camber plates, OEM 1LE Splitter w/APR Ext., Velossa BIG MOUTH Ram Air, CF QA1, ZLE brakes(F)
driven2exceSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 05:09 PM   #3
evanescent03

Drives: '19 SS 1LE/'19 Rubicon/'20 AT4
Seems like the boots should be free replacement since Chevrolet says “if you break it on track we’ll fix it”. ... this isnt really a wear and tear item and it should hold up to track days, right?
Old 09-27-2020, 06:14 PM   #4
driven2exceSS

But certainly not with aftermarket/non-OEM pads, that's for sure.
NPP, MRC, Tinted side & rear reflectors, OEM ZL1 Rockers / 3rd Brake / Darken tail lights, OEM Blk rear splash guards, Satin hood wrap, Fuse pull, Sound tube delete, Cat delete, Ported 95 TB, Ported MSD IM, Dry RotoFab, ARH 1 7/8 headers, E85, "Performance Dyno" Tune, BMR "pieces", "Track" alignment, Hawk DCT-70/70's w/SRF, Goodridge lines, Ti shims, Red powdered calipers, 18" APEX SM-10's w/ Pirelli DH's, FE4 Vert swaybars, Brake cooling ducts, ATI 10% UD, Vorshlag camber plates, OEM 1LE Splitter w/APR Ext., Velossa BIG MOUTH Ram Air, CF QA1, ZLE brakes(F)
Old 09-27-2020, 06:40 PM   #5
Camaro'd

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS
Perhaps buy a second set of calipers. Install those, then rebuild the old ones. Now you've a spare set, ready to rock n roll
Camaro'd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 11:17 AM   #6
Keebler

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS FIFTY
Wait, OEM rebuild kit is only $20?!?! WTF are you getting with the RB kit that is so expensive?? https://www.gmpartsdirect.com/oem-pa...-kit-13583383/
Keebler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 10:27 PM   #7
driven2exceSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keebler View Post
Wait, OEM rebuild kit is only $20?!?! WTF are you getting with the RB kit that is so expensive?? https://www.gmpartsdirect.com/oem-pa...-kit-13583383/
Yup! Keep in mind you'll need (2), that part#/kit is per front caliper. If you need rear dust boots it's GM# 22968937 (AC Delco #179-2253), per rear caliper (this is dust boots only).
Old 09-29-2020, 04:44 AM   #8
olblue75

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
I’ve ran the OEM seals and dust boots on my Gen5 6 piston for several years and 4 track days at NCM without issue. But will be going the Racing Brake piston option for the rear this winter when I get home.
1LE Front sway bar, Splitter, shocks and struts, Z28 dual mode mufflers, Intake, UCA Bushings, and Toresen 3.91 Diff. 1 piece DSS Drive Shaft, ZL1/C7 Calipers, and 32mm JPSS Rear Bar. ASC race spec splitter and wicker. 6th Gen M017 Wheels. Stainless Works 1 7/8 LTs. DSE and PAFDT Suspension components.
olblue75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 06:07 AM   #9
thescreensavers

Drives: SW 1SS 1LE / Jeep XJ
The Centric rebuild kits for our calipers have a silicone dust boot at a fraction of the cost fyi
thescreensavers is offline   Reply With Quote