Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Bigwormgraphix

Old 03-08-2021, 02:52 PM   #1
Wyzz Kydd
Banned

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS1 1LE
Challenger SXT/Mustang EcoBoost 2020

OK, I know this is a Camaro forum, but it's the only car forum I post on and I also know there are a lot of well informed people here.

So, I'm watching the market with an eye towards getting my son a Challenger SXT. The plan was to get one this summer, maybe 1-3 years old, still under warranty. Those are listed at most dealers somewhere in the $20-23K range plus tax, so $21,400-24,600 or so out the door.

I can get a new 2020, with less than 20 miles on it for $25K out the door. Not sure how good a deal that is, and whether I should try to get some more knocked off it, or just wait and buy used in the summer.

Any thoughts?

Last edited by Wyzz Kydd; 04-15-2021 at 09:54 AM.
Wyzz Kydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2021, 02:58 PM   #2
MR's 2SS

Drives: 2020 2SS Vert/M6/F250 SD
Not enough savings to justify buying used. I looked around here and there seems to be barely $3,000 between 2018 and 2020. I never tried negotiating for any so theres not enough information.
But for 2 or 3 grand Id rather have the longest fullest warrantee.
If its going to involve a loan. Often the rate is better on a new purchase too.
IMHO
Old 03-08-2021, 03:00 PM   #3
LT1ornothing

Drives: 2020 LT1 M6
Its an ok deal on the new one. The used ones look overpriced in my opinion. I would try to shop a little further from home. Also, I don't believe tax return season is a great time to score a good deal on a new car, but that's just my experience. Much better prices in fall as the new models roll on and they clearance the new unsold cars sitting on the lots...
LT1ornothing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2021, 03:58 PM   #4
Wyzz Kydd
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1LEornothing View Post
Its an ok deal on the new one. The used ones look overpriced in my opinion. I would try to shop a little further from home. Also, I don't believe tax return season is a great time to score a good deal on a new car, but that's just my experience. Much better prices in fall as the new models roll on and they clearance the new unsold cars sitting on the lots...
Well that's what surprised me. I wouldn't expect to see 2020 cars on the lot when it's March of 2021. That's why I'm wondering whether I can drive a better deal than what they're offering.
Old 03-08-2021, 04:39 PM   #5
FarmerFran

Drives: 2023 ZL1 Vert M6 "Sharky"
Hit up big metro areas near you for pricing. I know it is a bit far from you but Charlotte has a few "big" FCA dealers.

Lake Norman Dodge
Keffer Dodge
State Line Dodge

Put in a Charlotte Zip code and look in the area, they usually are very competitive for sales (at least in this area).

And then put in another big metro area and see what they are selling them for.

I mean if you are looking for rock bottom, I got nothing. But in the age of internet sales you can scope out good/bad deals.

That said I did go ~600 miles for my SS but it was a "bit" more $$ than you are talking about here

Firecracker Red Wrangler Willys, 3.6L eTorque, 850RE 8 speed automatic, 25W Willys package, Technology Group, Convenience Group (aka $600 garage door opener), Cold weather Group, Trailer Tow and HD electric group with AUX switches, 3 piece black freedom top.
FarmerFran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2021, 04:43 PM   #6
LT1ornothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyzz Kydd View Post
Well that's what surprised me. I wouldn't expect to see 2020 cars on the lot when it's March of 2021. That's why I'm wondering whether I can drive a better deal than what they're offering.
Not the right time of the year to buy, dealers know people got extra down payment money in the form of tax returns and they purposefully minimize rebates to try a queeze a higher profit margin per vehicle sold, they know they are going to nail those sales quotas this time of year. In fall however, sales slow down, quotas become harder to hit, AND new inventory is coming in. Space is needed for that new inventory so they offer great rebates on the remaining new cars which went unsold of the lot for months. Also, you would be amazed what you would find on the lots if you search enough.
Old 03-08-2021, 04:45 PM   #7
Wyzz Kydd
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarmerFran View Post
Hit up big metro areas near you for pricing. I know it is a bit far from you but Charlotte has a few "big" FCA dealers.

Lake Norman Dodge
Keffer Dodge
State Line Dodge

Put in a Charlotte Zip code and look in the area, they usually are very competitive for sales (at least in this area).

And then put in another big metro area and see what they are selling them for.

I mean if you are looking for rock bottom, I got nothing. But in the age of internet sales you can scope out good/bad deals.

That said I did go ~600 miles for my SS but it was a "bit" more $$ than you are talking about here
I'll do that now. Of course I'm already in the Atlanta area, which is pretty big. I've got three quotes now from different dealers for pretty much the same car. The only difference is color, which does matter, but they don't know that. I'm going to see if I can get the color I want to come down to what the other color is quoting. If that works I'll run it through again starting with the off color.
Old 03-08-2021, 04:45 PM   #8
FarmerFran

Drives: 2023 ZL1 Vert M6 "Sharky"
And nice car BTW!

Firecracker Red Wrangler Willys, 3.6L eTorque, 850RE 8 speed automatic, 25W Willys package, Technology Group, Convenience Group (aka $600 garage door opener), Cold weather Group, Trailer Tow and HD electric group with AUX switches, 3 piece black freedom top.
FarmerFran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2021, 04:46 PM   #9
Wyzz Kydd
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1LEornothing View Post
Not the right time of the year to buy, dealers know people got extra down payment money in the form of tax returns and they purposefully minimize rebates to try a queeze a higher profit margin per vehicle sold, they know they are going to nail those sales quotas this time of year. In fall however, sales slow down, quotas become harder to hit, AND new inventory is coming in. Space is needed for that new inventory so they offer great rebates on the remaining new cars which went unsold of the lot for months. Also, you would be amazed what you would find on the lots if you search enough.
I'm not disputing what you're saying, that's why I asked. But isn't having 2020 cars on the lot in March of 2021 unusual? Wouldn't they be more motivated to sell, or not?
Old 03-08-2021, 05:56 PM   #10
LT1ornothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyzz Kydd View Post
I'm not disputing what you're saying, that's why I asked. But isn't having 2020 cars on the lot in March of 2021 unusual? Wouldn't they be more motivated to sell, or not?
I don't think so, don't be surprised to see a handful of new 2020s still sitting on the lot when the first batch of 2022s roll in, seen this happen almost yearly.
Old 03-08-2021, 09:12 PM   #11
UnknownJinX

Drives: 19 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS 1LE Shock
My opinion of Challenger SXT varies heavily depending on if it's AWD or not. If it's AWD, go for it. I heard the AWD system in these cars are great.

If not... I personally wouldn't want one. Taking the third option here, I know. Unlike Ecoboost Mustang or 2.0T/V6 Camaro, V6 Challenger is hopelessly slow. Seriously, don't be surprised if a V6 Camry, 2.0T Accord, BRZ, and ND2 Miata pass you.

The only reason I can see for anyone to pick one up is if you are so invested in the look, what I can understand, but that comes with the drawback that cops also will pay more attention to you, despite you having trouble keeping up with 2.0T/V6 Accord while drinking more fuel.

Challenger is a one-trick pony. V6 takes out that trick.

Sorry if I am being a bit critical here, I would personally recommend looking for something else. You can get cars that are faster AND more fuel-efficient.

GM Performance Intake and that's it, because driver mods before car mods

Past:
2009 Mazda RX-8 GT M6 Velocity Red Mica (Sold)
2015 Chevrolet Corvette Z51 2LT M7 Velocity Yellow Tintcoat (Flood totaled)

Last edited by UnknownJinX; 03-08-2021 at 09:22 PM.
UnknownJinX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2021, 09:24 PM   #12
LT1ornothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnknownJinX View Post
My opinion of Challenger SXT varies heavily depending on if it's AWD or not. If it's AWD, go for it. I heard the AWD system in these cars are great.

If not... I personally wouldn't want one. Taking the third option here, I know. Unlike Ecoboost Mustang or 2.0T/V6 Camaro, V6 Challenger is hopelessly slow. Seriously, don't be surprised if a V6 Camry, 2.0T Accord, BRZ, and ND2 Miata pass you.

The only reason I can see for anyone to pick one up is if you are so invested in the look, what I can understand, but that comes with the drawback that cops also will pay more attention to you, despite you having trouble keeping up with 2.0T/V6 Accord while drinking more fuel.

Challenger is a one-trick pony. V6 takes out that trick.

Sorry if I am being a bit critical here, I would personally recommend looking for something else. You can get cars that are faster AND more fuel-efficient.
Absolutely agree with all of this, plus, not long ago you could find bare m6 rt challengers in the mid 20s.
Old 03-08-2021, 10:39 PM   #13
HCI2000SS

Drives: 2018 Camaro V6/RS
The Challenger SXT is not a bad daily, but like mentioned above it's pretty darn slow comparatively speaking. Just for reference i got my brand new 2018 V6 Camaro with the RS and tech package for about 27k. And in this car the V6 offering is as as fast as the 5.7 V8 Challenger
HCI2000SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 12:54 AM   #14
UnknownJinX

Drives: 19 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS 1LE Shock
Quote:
Originally Posted by HCI2000SS View Post
The Challenger SXT is not a bad daily, but like mentioned above it's pretty darn slow comparatively speaking. Just for reference i got my brand new 2018 V6 Camaro with the RS and tech package for about 27k. And in this car the V6 offering is as as fast as the 5.7 V8 Challenger
Yeah, Challenger is the only pony that I go "V8 or go home" because the V6 is all show, no go.

Maybe that's why the dealer is trying to sell them for a discount in the first place.

The 3.6 Pentastar isn't a bad engine reliability-wise. My friends actually rented a V6 Grand Cherokee for a road trip and we are surprised that it actually pulls half-decent. Of course, with a big SUV like Grand Cherokee, we have different expectations versus a Challenger.

GM Performance Intake and that's it, because driver mods before car mods

Past:
2009 Mazda RX-8 GT M6 Velocity Red Mica (Sold)
2015 Chevrolet Corvette Z51 2LT M7 Velocity Yellow Tintcoat (Flood totaled)
UnknownJinX is offline   Reply With Quote