Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance - Wash, Wax, Detailing, Exterior Repairs

AWE Tuning

Old 06-19-2018, 05:42 PM   #1
Cheekster96

Drives: 2018 2SS Bright Red
maintaining ceramic coatings

Howdy all...I ordered a 2018 2SS from our bestest friend Becky. Should be coming up my way soon.

I will be doing a full detail job, pain correction, polish and ceramic coating on it soon after taking delivery.

I live in Maine..we have LOTS of bugs. How does one safely remove bug splatter from the front fascia, hood etc? What about a thin layer of pollen if the car sits outside for a bit? Will a clay bar take off any of that ceramic coating? Can I use the Reload spray and a micro fiber cloth to remove the bug guts?

What do you guys do?

My excitement level is increasing day by day!!

Lee from Maine.
Cheekster96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 05:51 PM   #2
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
No clay on a coating....learn to do a rinseless for bugs....read the link in my sig.....use carpro ech20 for a rinseless product for coatings.....
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 06:43 PM   #3
kropscamaro16

Drives: 2016 1ss camaro
i just wash mine every week or so and yearly have a maintanence done by detail guy and car looks great all the time lol
Old 06-19-2018, 08:59 PM   #4
Gunkk
Thank you Al Oppenheiser!

Drives: Red Hot A10 ZL1 Convertible
Principle #1 (aka the museum principle): The less you mess with a thing, the longer it lasts. Do garage the car. Do not touch, rub, cover, or wash it unless you have to.

Principle #2 (aka hippocratic oath): Treat what needs to be done, but do no harm. When you wash, touch the car the least amount necessary to get it clean. Like pressure washing with a foam cannon and leaf blower drying. Use two bucket washes with grit guards. Do not apply pressure when drying with towels.

Principle #3 (aka an ounce of prevention...): If dirt doesn't get on the car, it cannot hurt the paint. A good hydrophobic wax or sealant like reload will allow water to bead up and roll off the car, and that water will carry away the dirt. This keeps the car cleaner, extending time between washes. It also makes washing the car much easier.
Gunkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 06:53 AM   #5
Cheekster96

Drives: 2018 2SS Bright Red
Excellent..thanks guys. The car will be garaged with a indoor cover on it when not in use.

So a definite no to the clay bar. Sweet. I do not have a leaf blower to dry the car with..just soft drying towels.

Thanks again.

Lee
Cheekster96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 01:34 AM   #6
BAMF

Drives: The Tumbler
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheekster96 View Post
Excellent..thanks guys. The car will be garaged with a indoor cover on it when not in use.

So a definite no to the clay bar. Sweet. I do not have a leaf blower to dry the car with..just soft drying towels.

Thanks again.

Lee
Hey bud,

Consider checking out Amazon for some electric leaf blowers. There are some good ones on there for not too much money. Greenworks and Black&Decker have good ratings. I saw some as low as $40-ish, and I ended up getting one that’s rated at 250mph for like $64. Let me know if you want me to post a link.

BAMF is offline   Reply With Quote