Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Bigwormgraphix

Old 04-04-2020, 04:53 PM   #1
camaroman3

Drives: 2018 Chevy Camaro 1LT RS
Possible Spark knock noise?? 18' Camaro 1LT RS

My 2018 chevy camaro 1LT RS has 12,000 miles on it and ever since I bought it brand new, I've had issues with it.

First issue- lots of rail dust on my summit white color, went back to my dealer, stated it happens to white colors all the time and told me to clay bar it myself. Didn't feel that was right so I took to another chevy dealer, they stated since its a new car they'll take care of it for free.

Second issue- Brake pedal making a squeaky noise when pressing it. Went to another dealership, first they replaced brake booster pushrod retaining clip, issue was not fixed. Took it back a few weeks later, they replaced the entire brake booster assembly, issue was fixed.

Third issue which is the current spark noise issue, I noticed after a few months of owning the car. The noise will come on after I've been driving for while, I'll be driving and when I press the gas a little to increase my speed this ticking noise (almost sounds like sparks) comes on for about 2-3 seconds. I've watched spark knock noises on Youtube and it sounds like that. I've haven't really noticed any loss of power or any effects to how the car drives, but what I might think is a normal drive might not be since this is my first chevy and camaro.

The first time I took it to the dealer, I drove the car with a tech to make sure he would hear the issue, he did and they took it in for service. The tech stated there were no service bulletins on the issue so they're wasn't anything they could do at the moment, they recommended I use higher octane gas from Shell or BP. I don't see why I would have to put in 93 in a V6 Camaro that requires regular 87 octane gas. Als,o I have only used Shell or BP gas my whole life. They told me to bring it back if it happens again.

A few months later I bring my car to another dealer ( we have a lot of chevys in the Chicago suburbs). Tell them about the noise and that it was verified by another dealer. I didn't get a chance to go for a drive with the tech since they were really busy so I got a loaner and waited a few days. Service calls me stating they could not replicate the issue and to bring it back if it happens more often.

I decide to go back to the dealer that verified the issue and told me to bring it back after trying higher octane gas. Take it for a drive with another tech
( the one who originally verified the noise doesn't work there anymore) and obviously with my luck the noise isn't as noticeable as it was before. I could still hear it a little bit but the tech could barely hear it. He told me to leave it with him for a few days, so I did. Service calls me and tells me they drove it both days and couldn't hear it and that it drives good.

Fast forward to now, I am planning to take my car back to the original dealer I purchased it from on Monday and will drive it with a tech. I am planning to add some new mods like exhaust, aesthetic mods, etc. but want to hold off just in case they say your exhaust or one of my mods is causing the sound. I am hoping this is something else and its an easy fix, I'm worried if they can't replicate the issue and don't fix it, after a few years when my warranty expires my engine or trans fails. Anyone have anything similar ever happen or have any advice on what I should do? Any feedback is appreciated!
camaroman3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2020, 06:35 PM   #2
redcoats1976

Drives: LT W/2LT,blue metallic
wouldnt make any mechanical mods until youre sure that theres no problems.is it possible you are hearing the fuel pump?what happens if its making the noise and you floor it,does it get louder like spark knock or no difference?i have the V6 and run 89 with no issues,briefly used 87 last hurricane season without any issues in 100 degree heat but i drive pretty slowly most of the time.these are high compression engines and i am leary of 87 octane.gas is cheap right now,run the tank down to almost empty and try a tank of 93 to see if there is any difference.
redcoats1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2020, 06:46 PM   #3
HCI2000SS

Drives: 2018 Camaro V6/RS
I have a 2018 V6 as well, and 87 octane is completely fine even in 100 degree temps. Unless you are racing the car in high temps, there is no reason to run higher octane IMO. If your car is knocking on 87; there is something else wrong
HCI2000SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 07:30 AM   #4
MISTAPOWA

Drives: camaro rs
I doubt you're hearing spark knock. You're probably hearing the high pressure fuel system. If the car was actually detonating the ecu would store a code for a misfire.
MISTAPOWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 11:20 AM   #5
MackSteelPrivateEye
Banned

Drives: 6 on the Flo' Super Sport
Does he mean pinging when he says Spark Knock?
MackSteelPrivateEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 12:01 PM   #6
ctrlz

Drives: 2017 2SS, 50th pkg, M6, MRC, NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by MackSteelPrivateEye View Post
Does he mean pinging when he says Spark Knock?
That's what I got out of it.

I would suggest driving this car for a bit with a $100 scan tool plugged in before you drop $1000 on an exhaust.
And, if you do have knock, running higher octane gas is not an appropriate solution for a low mileage engine (still under warranty) designed to run fine on 87!
Quote:
Originally Posted by HCI2000SS View Post
If your car is knocking on 87; there is something else wrong
Spot on!
ctrlz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camaro 1lt rs