Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Phastek Performance

Old 04-03-2020, 11:40 PM   #1
Rekkless

Drives: Carmaro SS 1LE
Cool 2018 2SS 1LE - Strange engine noise or not?

Hi all. So I recently bought a 18 2SS 1LE, I absolutely love the car everything seems to be working as it should. I mean the car has 4600 miles on the clock it better.

Anyway I've noticed at low RPM the engine makes what I feel is a strange sound. Almost like someone knocking on some coconuts at a high speed kind of softly.

Now I'm not sure if this is perfectly normal, I've never owned a Camaro or Chevrolet v8 before. I'm not sure if this is the DI system, or the sound tube and this is perfectly normal.

OR

Something is wrong.

I'm not looking for someone to diagnose it over the forum and a YouTube video if there is an issue. I just want to know does this sound normal to you guys?

If it doesn't I'll make an appointment with the dealer to get it looked at, but I don't want to go to all that hassle if this is perfectly normal.

Outside of this sound the car seems perfect, it goes like a bloody freight train and everything else is tip top.

Thanks for you help. The video is best watched with headphones on to really hear the coconuts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n7QtTgP2D0M
Rekkless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2020, 05:36 AM   #2
Yellow Beast
TD

Drives: 2017 2SS, 2014 Mercedes C300
Didnt hear the sound. It could be something as simple as a detonation knock caused by bad timing or a fuel issue. Possibly a bad sensor. It could be a bearing knock, which is not good. Possibly just the exhaust having a broken hanger causing the exhaust to move around hitting something. If it were my car and it made a sound that I didn't think was normal I'd take it to the dealer.

Last edited by Yellow Beast; 04-04-2020 at 09:17 AM.
Yellow Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2020, 07:02 AM   #3
SSDan

Drives: 2016 1SS 6MT NPP
Using my air pods I hear nothing unusual in that video. I hear the normal sound of the throttle blade opening (the whoosh sound at the start of the revs) and then to my ears a normal rev sound thereafter. I'm not saying that there is not a sound of concern in there - if there is I just don't hear it.

I'd say drive it some more. Get used to the car and its regular sounds and vibrations and then if it still concerns you - take it to the dealership for a check. These LT1 engines are noisy things - both DI and valve train but they sure make sweet music out the pipes!

Good luck! Unusual noises and vibrations are frustrating.

2010 Camaro 2SS Cam/Headers/CAI/3.91 gears
476 rwhp/440 rwtq (sold)
SSDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2020, 08:24 AM   #4
LT4Greg

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 Coupe
I agree with SSDan!! Take some more time to get used to the car, like the engine and drivetrain sound since this is your first V8 and Camaro! You should hear the noises my ZL1 makes especially the supercharger whine! Good luck and don’t worry and if it starts making noises that you are uncomfortable with, then take it in and get it checked out!
Old 04-04-2020, 08:55 AM   #5
arpad_m

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS A8
Apart from the normal DI noise and the whooshing, I do hear some dull, soft knocking that does not sound normal, particularly when OP is first revving the engine, it dies down a bit towards the end of the video. Not a mechanic, but my car doesn't do it, and if it were, I'd take it in for a diagnosis.

Magnuson TVS 2300 80mm pulley | Kooks 1 7/8" LT headers | JRE smooth idle terminator cam | LT4 FS & injectors | TSP forged pistons & rods
JMS PowerMAX | DSX flex fuel kit | Roto-Fab CAI | Soler 95mm LT5 TB | 1LE wheels | 1LE brakes | BMR rear cradle lockout | JRE custom tune

1100 - 1/30/18 | 2000 - 1/31/18
3000 - 2/06/18 TPW 2/26/18
3400 - 2/19/18 | 3800 - 2/26/18
4300 - 2/27/18 | 4B00 - 3/01/18
4200 - 3/05/18 | 4800 - 3/14/18
5000 - 3/16/18 | 6000 - 3/19/18
arpad_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 12:57 PM   #6
g26er

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by arpad_m View Post
Apart from the normal DI noise and the whooshing, I do hear some dull, soft knocking that does not sound normal, particularly when OP is first revving the engine, it dies down a bit towards the end of the video. Not a mechanic, but my car doesn't do it, and if it were, I'd take it in for a diagnosis.
With headphones, I do think I hear the noise you're talking about. As the guy above said... I hear it more in the beginning of the video and happens after the rev when the RPMs are coming back down.

You could take it in but, in my experience, unless there's something that would be very obvious to the service guy you will probably end up with more problems than you went in with. That is if there is actually a problem.

Have you done your first oil change yet? If not, do it and inspect the oil and maybe cut open the filter to inspect too. Might help just to give you some piece of mind.
g26er is offline   Reply With Quote