Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Transmissions

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 01-31-2019, 09:01 AM   #1
Eric10905
Geezer_loves_Camaros

Drives: 2018 2SS, Black, A8
A8 not shifting correctly in manual

Hi everyone,

Wondering if anyone else has encountered this. I have a new 2018 2SS A8. When I stomp the go pedal with the shifter in D, it seems to shift at the red line promptly and sharply. But if I put it into manual shift mode and try to shift it myself (either with stick or paddle shifters), it takes 1-2 seconds after I change it to actually shift gears. So long that the car red lines and starts to shut down so to speak (I think it's just rev limiting by design). Not worried about the rev limiting, just wondering why it doesn't shift quickly and crisp like in manual mode?? I'm about to take it into the dealer, but any insight is appreciated.

it doesn't sound like any of the shudder problems/threads I've read.

Thanks, and keep driving!
Eric10905 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 12:04 PM   #2
cignul9

Drives: 50th 2SS MRC A8 NPP
The paddles on the A8 have a noticeable lag to them. I wish they were faster, but they're just not. When I'm trying to have fun, I just make sure it's in "Performance shift mode" (usually accomplished by putting the pedal all the way to the floor) and let the computer do the work. The paddles are just too laggy to use effectively.
50th 2SS, MRC, NPP, 8A, #991
Join the Club F1FTY Registry!
Add yourself to the registry here.
Read the registry here.
cignul9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 12:48 PM   #3
Eric10905
Geezer_loves_Camaros

Drives: 2018 2SS, Black, A8
Hi and thanks cignul9,

I have the same trouble even if I use the shifter to the next gear, not just the paddles. Don't understand that...

I bring it up, as I had a 2019 SS A10 loaner from the dealer, and I had tried the same in it... it shifted exactly, sharp and crisp, when I hit the shifter in manual mode each time. Then again, I know that is a A10... vs the A8. Just doesn't seem right that the manual mode would have so much lag to it! As you note, for now, I just leave it in D... it is an automatic. I know all the M6 guys would be telling me if a wanted a stick, I should have bought a stick.
Eric10905 is offline   Reply With Quote