Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 08-01-2012, 06:34 AM   #1
jay4190

Drives: 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Some minor quality issues

Hey all,

My 2011 camaro has just hit about 11k miles on it and I am noticing a few things that are irking me. The brakes squeak at low speak stopping. The sunroof rattles when open and going over bumps. The sunroof rattles when closed and listening to music with moderate bass. The dash, somewhere near the gauge cluster, rattles intermittently when going over bumps.

I'm probably going to take it to the dealer for the sunroof issues. Should I mention the dash rattle? I've read a few posts on here saying that you don't want them fiddling around and taking the dash apart as that may make things worse.

I love my camaro, but I'm a little disappointed at the rattles and squeaks after a year and a half. Are others experiencing the same thing?
jay4190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 08:40 AM   #2
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Drives: GM Vehicles
Quote:
Originally Posted by jay4190 View Post
Hey all,

My 2011 camaro has just hit about 11k miles on it and I am noticing a few things that are irking me. The brakes squeak at low speak stopping. The sunroof rattles when open and going over bumps. The sunroof rattles when closed and listening to music with moderate bass. The dash, somewhere near the gauge cluster, rattles intermittently when going over bumps.

I'm probably going to take it to the dealer for the sunroof issues. Should I mention the dash rattle? I've read a few posts on here saying that you don't want them fiddling around and taking the dash apart as that may make things worse.

I love my camaro, but I'm a little disappointed at the rattles and squeaks after a year and a half. Are others experiencing the same thing?
I would definitely recommend taking your Camaro to the dealership for a diagnosis. If you would like to message me your name, VIN, phone number, address, and dealership I'll be happy to assist you with these concerns.

Looking forward to hearing from you!

Ashley
Chevrolet Customer Service
Old 08-01-2012, 08:44 AM   #3
PsychoZL1

Drives: 2015 Challenger SRT
I've experienced some rattles and vibrations now that my Camaro has over 10K miles, but it's still much more bearable than the rattles and vibrations in the dash that my previous car had that started the day I bought it; it drove me insane in that car!
PsychoZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 09:28 AM   #4
scooter9909

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS
Also have the brake squeak at low speads. Very, very annoying! GM is aware and has a service bulletin and they have no fix. Dealer has offered to replace all so will take them up on that but they say will not fix the issue :(
Old 08-01-2012, 09:38 AM   #5
ShowSStopper
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 Camaro 1SS Black Coupe
Quote:
Hey all,

At just over 3k miles, my 2012 has already become a rattle trap. Every time I hit a bump or imperfection in the road, my trunk monkey let's me know. Getting worse by the day.

Add to that crappy paint, a bolt of some sort rolling around in my decklid that the dealer cant retrieve, and a scuffed up interior despite treating it with tons of care and yeah, I have a few issues.

And let's not forget the easily dirtied and scratched radio face.
ShowSStopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 09:50 AM   #6
ihaveacamaro
I like teeth.

Drives: #198
Quote:
Hey all,

Please add yourself to this thread for V6 Squeaking brakes http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=151829

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wicked 6 View Post
At just over 3k miles, my 2012 has already become a rattle trap. Every time I hit a bump or imperfection in the road, my trunk monkey let's me know. Getting worse by the day.

Add to that crappy paint, a bolt of some sort rolling around in my decklid that the dealer cant retrieve, and a scuffed up interior despite treating it with tons of care and yeah, I have a few issues.

The radio face has a TSB where the dealers polish the scratches out of it:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MS3DALE View Post
Service Information

2011 Chevrolet Camaro | Camaro VIN F Service Manual | Document ID: 2677727
#09-08-44-015E: Radio Display Screen Scratches and Scuffs (Polish Display Screen) - (Jun 20, 2011)

Subject:Radio Display Screen Scratches and Scuffs (Polish Display Screen)

Models:2010-2012 Chevrolet Camaro
2006-2010 Pontiac Solstice
2007-2010 Saturn SKY

This bulletin is being revised to add the 2012 model year. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 09-08-44-015D (Section 08 – Body and Accessories). Condition

Some customers may comment on scratches and scuffs on the radio display screen.
Cause

This condition may be caused by wiping the screen with a dirty cleaning cloth, paper towels or wiping the dirty screen with a bare hand. The high gloss finish on the radio display screen may have a tendency to show these scratches and scuffs. Different viewing conditions, such as bright sun light, may also make the scratches more apparent.
Correction

A GM-authorized dealership or detail shop may use the following procedure to correct the condition. Any scratches that are not removed by this procedure are too severe to be restored. Do not attempt to use a more aggressive material to remove deep scratches. The use of more aggressive materials may dull or damage the display screen.
1. Clean the radio display screen and surrounding area with a clean, damp (not wet) soft cotton cloth or a micro-fiber cloth. Do not use any cleaners or solvents – use only clean warm water.

Important: Use only high quality automotive-type masking tape. Do not use cloth-type tape as it may damage the soft touch finish on the instrument panel. Remove the tape immediately after the polishing process is completed.
2. Mask off the surrounding area as shown to prevent damage or staining from the polishing material (Camaro shown, Solstice and SKY similar).
3. Apply a small amount of GM Swirl Remover Polish, P/N 12377965 (In Canada, use Meguiars brand PlastX Clear Plastic Cleaner Polish*), to a soft cotton cloth or micro-fiber cloth.
4. Hand polish the display screen using a circular motion. Polish the display until satisfactory results are achieved.
5. Finish the process with a clean portion of the polishing cloth using a straight cross-car motion.
6. Remove the masking tape from the surrounding area.
7. Clean the radio display screen and surrounding area with a clean, damp (not wet) soft cotton cloth or a micro-fiber cloth to pick up any dust left from the polishing procedure. Do not use any cleaners or solvents – use only clean warm water.
* We believe these sources and their products to be reliable. There may be additional manufacturers of such products. General Motors does not endorse, indicate any preference for or assume any responsibility for the products from these firms or for any such items which may be available from other sources.
Parts Information

Part Number

Description

GM Swirl Remover Polish

G 12310 (Canada)

Meguiars brand PlastX Clear Plastic Cleaner Polish

Warranty Information

For vehicles repaired under warranty, use:

Labor Operation

Description

Labor Time

R9768*

Restore Radio Display Screen

0.4 hr

*This is a unique labor operation for bulletin use only. It will not be published in the Labor Time Guide.

GM bulletins are intended for use by professional technicians, NOT a "do-it-yourselfer". They are written to inform these technicians of conditions that may occur on some vehicles, or to provide information that could assist in the proper service of a vehicle. Properly trained technicians have the equipment, tools, safety instructions, and know-how to do a job properly and safely. If a condition is described, DO NOT assume that the bulletin applies to your vehicle, or that your vehicle will have that condition. See your GM dealer for information on whether your vehicle may benefit from the information.

WE SUPPORT VOLUNTARY TECHNICIAN CERTIFICATION

Please check out my youtube detailing channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/roshan517

"When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe, then you will be successful."
ihaveacamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 12:11 PM   #7
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsychoRS View Post
I've experienced some rattles and vibrations now that my Camaro has over 10K miles, but it's still much more bearable than the rattles and vibrations in the dash that my previous car had that started the day I bought it; it drove me insane in that car!
I definitely understand your frustration with the rattles and vibrations that you have noticed in your vehicle. Have you taken your vehicle to the dealership to see if they can diagnosis the issue for you?

Ashley
Chevrolet Customer Assistance
Old 08-01-2012, 12:23 PM   #8
1BADLS3

Drives: Sold: 2011 2SS/RS
A couple of things...not excuses...but performance brakes do have a tendency to squeak a bit at low speeds and it has to do with the compound in the brake pads. I've heard you can swap them for a ceramic type or different brand that may help. My brakes on the SS squeak just a little bit when coming to a stop... My dad races, he's got hi-po brakes on his race cars and they do the same thing. While annoying sometimes, I just remember that they are able to stop my ~4,000lb car in a relatively short distance. If the brakes were squeaking on my Jeep, I'd throw a fit because they are standard medium-duty passenger vehicle stuff that should be tuned for quietness and long-term efficiency.

The sunroof...I rented a 2012 Camaro that had a sunroof, and it rattled anytime the car was moving. GM used a really cheap unit and it's evident by the lack of operation and cheap switchgear, even further limited by the design of the roof, forcing it to stow outside the vehicle. It might be worth talking to the dealer about it, but chances are they're going to give you dumb looks. It shouldn't rattle, but it does.

Same with the dash. Shouldn't rattle.

Unfortunately, I have a rattle or two in my car. But I've owned and driven a lot of different cars and most cars pick up a rattle or two after time. Hondas rattle, Chryslers rattle, Audis rattle, BMW's rattle, and yes, I've been in a Lexus that rattles (IS-250 AWD).

Not that it makes it okay, but this is something that road-going vehicles eventually do, some earlier than others.

At the end of the day, GM is charging you quite a chunk of change for a car that's not really meant to compete with the mostly-rattle free refinement of upper-eschelon automakers. But it's a car that has a lot of features that only come with much more cash outlay in other brands...for example...323hp stock in a $23k base Camaro... or 400/426hp in the high 20k's, low 30k range. Only you can decide if those tradeoffs are worth it. Our other daily driver is a 2010 Audi S4...cost us $58k new...yep, it's got a nicer interior, it's more finished overall, tighter tolerances and higher build quality. But the Camaro is still more fun to drive, and no the Audi does not have HUD.
1BADLS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 01:04 PM   #9
IBM

Drives: '11 2LT/RS IBM
My sunroof "cover"(?) rattles when its open and the gray plastic strip to the left of the gauges isn't clipped in right and never has been. That's all I've noticed so far.
Old 08-01-2012, 01:25 PM   #10
jay4190

Drives: 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Thanks for the feedback

Hey everyone, thanks for all the feedback. Not sure if it I feel better knowing that I'm not the only one or worse that it may be the nature of the car.

Quote:
Please add yourself to this thread for V6 Squeaking brakes http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=151829
Just did, thanks for letting me know!

Quote:
Those of you having issues with the scratched radio face should definitely get one of these from Ghost Armor: http://www.ghost-armor.com/Chevrolet/344.html
Not only did it hide the light scratches I had when I got it from the dealer, it also protects the screen VERY well. A year and a half later, not one scratch on the screen. Super easy to install to. Worth the $35.

Quote:
I would definitely recommend taking your Camaro to the dealership for a diagnosis. If you would like to message me your name, VIN, phone number, address, and dealership I'll be happy to assist you with these concerns.
Thanks for your comment Ashley. I'll schedule an appointment with the dealer soon. If I need anything beyond that, I'll be sure to reach out to you.
jay4190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 01:57 PM   #11
BreakingBad
MAGA

Drives: 2015 2SS/RS
Here is my list of pros/cons of my Camaro purchase:

Pros:

- Decent gas mileage for a sports car (v6)
- Sexy as hell
- Quick
- Sweet features (HUD, backup cam, etc.)

Cons

- Horrible paint quality, chips and scratches easily
- A/C makes a loud audible CLICK when A/C turning on/off on a hot day (may be normal)
- Interior scuffed easily, specifically doors (being only 5'10" and it's super difficult to get in/out)
- Integrated radio with climate controls, costing people hundreds of dollars to upgrade to aftermarket stereos (dash kit requirement)
- Brake squealing
“Freedom is not defined by safety. Freedom is defined by the ability of citizens to live without government interference. Government cannot create a world without risks, nor would we really wish to live in such a fictional place. Only a totalitarian society would even claim absolute safety as a worthy ideal, because it would require total state control over its citizens’ lives. Liberty has meaning only if we still believe in it when terrible things happen and a false government security blanket beckons.” - Ron Paul
BreakingBad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 03:02 PM   #12
AKA
Go SteeleRS/SS

Drives: '11 SS/RS LS3
Thats funny because during my test drive I commented to the sales person that the sunroof rattled and the brakes squealed. He told me it was normal and that the brake squealing would go away after driving for a while.

I ended up not getting the sunroof because of the rattling, I figured if it was that annoying to notice new what would it be like a few years later. My brakes still squeal 10,000 miles later. I have had the car in several times for squealing brakes, 2nd gear grind, and the radio not reading my iphone. I get the typical B.S. from service dept and still no fix.
AKA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 05:28 PM   #13
Mightygrasshopper

Drives: 2012 45th anniversary edition 'vert
My brakes squeaked too. Got the front pads replaced under warranty and its been good since. Hopefully stays that way. Apparently the bulletin is for for older 2010 builds but they replaced them anyway. I do find the sun roof to rattle or squeak quite a bit if I were to close it during my drive. If I never open it at all, it doesn't squeak all that much.

www.mightygrasshopper.com
Into health, wellness and fitness? Check out my site for natural health product reviews, health articles and industry news.

Want to get into summer time shape? I'm a former fatty who's lost the weight - "Train With Me" for FREE - sexy abs in 16 weeks! Just follow along!
Mightygrasshopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 12:22 PM   #14
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBM View Post
My sunroof "cover"(?) rattles when its open and the gray plastic strip to the left of the gauges isn't clipped in right and never has been. That's all I've noticed so far.

I apologize for the dissatisfaction you are experiencing with the tonneau cover. Have you taken it to your local dealership for a diagnosis? Please let us know if this is an available option to you.

Brandon
Chevrolet Customer Service