Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 04-20-2018, 12:28 PM   #1
Centauri

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS
Paint Correction

I have a black car, and there are some swirls. It looks like someone used a power polisher with a little too much force. It looks great most of the time but in full sun the swirls are quite visible. So I am thinking of getting a correction done. First place I visited asked $800. Is this what I should expect?
Centauri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 01:14 PM   #2
redcoats1976

Drives: LT W/2LT,blue metallic
go on the autogeek website,study their videos and you should be able to take care of the paint correction yourself for less than 300 bucks and have an orbital buffer/polisher and plenty of supplies left because you will find keeping your car looking good will become your new hobby.i practiced on my wifes older nissan first and even got that faded old POS to look pretty good before i tried it on the camaro.expect to spend most of a day on the first try.
redcoats1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 01:20 PM   #3
seanjhon

Drives: 2013 camaro
That doesn’t sound bad from what I have seen and heard abroad. Have you ever thought about correcting yourself. Time consuming yes...but you will save yourself more than half of that 800.

I wasn’t to big on doing it myself when I first got my Chevy, but seeing these prices out here I just took a dive, one of best decisions for my car. My car is a 13 and I still get great compliments on the paint because of the work I do?

I checked out the junk man, his videos are great!!! How I leaned.

Part 1 for machine polishing for novices.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=KP-eAddv2sk

Part 2
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=h_0nr6XPEHM
-jumps into the tools and products

Part 3
Car prep and work

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=PyJYtYhz9RQ

Part 4

Actual polishing procedures and techniques

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=P0rbZOeNN4o

Great deal of knowledge. Even if you don’t end up doing it. Just a good JFYI type of references to have

Good luck
seanjhon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 03:52 PM   #4
Centauri

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS
Great vids. I watched them all, and I get the plan. I might just give it a try.
Centauri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 04:58 PM   #5
pauly1119

Drives: 2018 ZLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by redcoats1976 View Post
go on the autogeek website,study their videos and you should be able to take care of the paint correction yourself for less than 300 bucks and have an orbital buffer/polisher and plenty of supplies left because you will find keeping your car looking good will become your new hobby.i practiced on my wifes older nissan first and even got that faded old POS to look pretty good before i tried it on the camaro.expect to spend most of a day on the first try.

Lucky that auto geek is 10 minutes from my house. I bought there kit and have done about 40% of my car and really works great. The videos are great.
pauly1119 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 05:02 PM   #6
Wizard1183

Drives: ABM SS2/RS M6
Send a message via Yahoo to Wizard1183
Try some compound. Don’t use too much force with it but it’ll get the swirls out no problem.

Life is short, drive it like you stole it!
Wizard1183 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 05:58 PM   #7
RJT Impala
Stovebolt BluFlame 6

Drives: '12 2LT/RS, IBM; '20 Traverse Prem
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizard1183 View Post
Try some compound. Don’t use too much force with it but it’ll get the swirls out no problem.
Polishing compound--not rubbing compound. Rubbing compound is too abrasive for modern clear coats. Used to work fin on old enamel or lacquer finishes, but will go through the modern paint quickly, due to thinner paint.
RJT Impala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 07:07 PM   #8
Wizard1183

Drives: ABM SS2/RS M6
Send a message via Yahoo to Wizard1183
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJT Impala View Post
Polishing compound--not rubbing compound. Rubbing compound is too abrasive for modern clear coats. Used to work fin on old enamel or lacquer finishes, but will go through the modern paint quickly, due to thinner paint.
Correct. You can use rubbing if your light enough and know what you’re doing. But I agree polishing compound is way to go

Life is short, drive it like you stole it!
Wizard1183 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 10:07 PM   #9
Addoni

Drives: 2017 50th Anniversary 2SS Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Centauri View Post
I have a black car, and there are some swirls. It looks like someone used a power polisher with a little too much force. It looks great most of the time but in full sun the swirls are quite visible. So I am thinking of getting a correction done. First place I visited asked $800. Is this what I should expect?
I had similar issues, but mine was small scratches from car cover. Bought Griots Garage 6" Variable speed orbital with orange and white foam correction pads along with finishing sealant with a low cut and fast correction cream with more aggressive cut. Worked FABULOUSLY and no risk to burning paint. Variable speed random orbital was $160 and creams and pads $70. Search YouTube for griots garage and watch as swirls, wetsanding marks and everday scratches disappear. Can get all on Amazon. The orbiter starting kit is available at advanced auto or at Griots website.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Addoni is offline   Reply With Quote