Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Other Generations > 1st & 2nd Generation Camaros

Old 01-29-2016, 10:02 AM   #1
majj35

Drives: '68 Camaro SS 350 V8
My 68 Camaro SS (Restomod)

Hello all,

I'm finally pulling a trigger on a 1968 4 speed Camaro SS Restomod. It was previously owned, restored and sold to a dealership that has very few information on the car...all they know is that $80K was invested, 350 rebuilt engine, rebuilt transmission, suspension, 4 wheel disc brakes. It has 2,000 miles on the new engine. I traveled from Boston to Long Island for a test drive.

My current car is a full bolt on Nissan GT-R on e85, and fortunately there is a forum just for the GTR that helped a lot when it comes to modifying the car and knowing what parts or tunes are needed with that certain "mod" (e.g. getting downpipes requires a re-tune, and having a 700wtq on a stock transmission would blow it thus need to upgrade parts)

I would appreciate the help on basic stuff to know about a 68 Camaro because I don't want to risk buying parts, install them and not knowing what other parts/upgrades are needed to handle the mod. Unfortunately, the dealership who had the Camaro had very few knowledge on what the previous owner has done to the car so they were very little at helping me here.

note: I know, I did a mistake of not gathering enough info and knowledge (im working on it) before making my purchase...all i did was research for 68's within my budget in nearby states and fell in love with this one.

So, I finally got the car yesterday drove it around all night and it feels amazing, out of this world!! What a complete difference coming from an all-tech Nissan GT-R and very few knowledge (learning, reading and researching a lot) about first gen camaros. I love the car and hope some of you could help me out when in doubt : )

Questions:
1-It has 2,500 miles (restomod). How often to service/oil? Can i do it myself (easy), if not anyone recommend where to go in Boston area?

2-It has wipers, I just don't know if there's a button anywhere for it to operate?

3-Look at image with red arrow pointing at a lever, what is it? I can pull it and push it in hard, nothing happens.

Very stupid questions i know...but id appreciate any help.

Last edited by majj35; 01-31-2016 at 05:51 PM.
majj35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 11:32 AM   #2
ritchet

Drives: 2015 Camaro 1LS Red Rock
Are you doing the Modifications? and you don't know how to change the oil? A 68 Camaro with a 350 is very easy to work on , especially compared to a GT-R.
ritchet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 11:37 AM   #3
majj35

Quote:
Originally Posted by ritchet View Post
Are you doing the Modifications? and you don't know how to change the oil? A 68 Camaro with a 350 is very easy to work on , especially compared to a GT-R.
I do, but like I said. Just got the car yesterday and new to all this so before doing anything i prefer to hear it from you guys...
Old 01-29-2016, 01:36 PM   #4
Mr Twisty

Drives: the 2nd amendment home
Headlight and wiper switches are on top left of the dash panel... wiper is two speed, rotate for speed, push for wash.

That button, or whatever it is, was likely added by a previous owner, no idea.....
Old 01-29-2016, 08:51 PM   #5
patternpilot

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS
That knob you are pulling that does nothing could be a choke lever. We used to remove the auto choke on carburetors and make them manual because they would always malfunction.
Nice car, brings back memory's. I graduated from high school in 69 so very familiar with these. My best friend bought a new 68 RS Camaro with a 327ci. He put wide rear tires on it and won many drag races. We had a lot of fun in that car. Congratulations and have fun.

LS3, Whipple, Custom Comp Cam, springs, pushrods, timing set, CAI intake, Apex cold air scoop, Doug Thorley TRI-Y headers, Billet Custom Products baffled Valve covers, Mighty Mouse Catch can, ADM FPCM, ZL1 fuel pump, MSD boost-a-pump, Hex Vent hood vents, ProSport gauges(fuel pressure, AFR, Boost), Corsa, 100 cell Cats. Jannetty remote tuned, Pfadt trailing arms, all parts user installed. No Dyno yet. Manual trans. 3.45 gears.
patternpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 11:31 PM   #6
majj35

Thanks guys appreciate the help !!
Old 01-31-2016, 03:10 PM   #7
majj35

any idea how to use the choke lever? correct me if im wrong. When the engine is cold, it struggles to start so I would press on the gas pedal and pull the lever out to close the choke. Once warm, I would push the choke in to give the carb more air...right ?
Old 01-31-2016, 09:57 PM   #8
patternpilot

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS
You are correct. When cold pump the gas a couple of times to pump some gas into the intake. Then pull out the choke lever to close it. It doesn't have to be all the way closed. Then start cranking and as soon as it fires you can push the lever in a little and as the motor warms continue to push it in. The choke will keep the mixture rich enough to keep it running until warm. Don't hold the throttle open with the gas pedal while cranking or it may backfire and it could catch fire if it has too much gas in the intake.

LS3, Whipple, Custom Comp Cam, springs, pushrods, timing set, CAI intake, Apex cold air scoop, Doug Thorley TRI-Y headers, Billet Custom Products baffled Valve covers, Mighty Mouse Catch can, ADM FPCM, ZL1 fuel pump, MSD boost-a-pump, Hex Vent hood vents, ProSport gauges(fuel pressure, AFR, Boost), Corsa, 100 cell Cats. Jannetty remote tuned, Pfadt trailing arms, all parts user installed. No Dyno yet. Manual trans. 3.45 gears.
patternpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 10:09 AM   #9
majj35

Thank you sir!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tags
350, 68 camaro, camaro ss, restomod, small block