Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Nav, Radar, Electronics

Bigwormgraphix

Old 05-13-2019, 11:21 AM   #1
MiamiBlueCamaro

Drives: Gen 6 Camaro RS
Exclamation Big Brother is watching you! Tesla vs Chevy

I don't have privacy anymore.. My Camaro is not build by Tesla, but me thinks that Chevy spies more than Elon Musk. Here is the proof:
Attached Images

MiamiBlueCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 11:24 AM   #2
SPARTAN sui
PC Technician

Drives: 2016 Hyper Blue 2SS
If you're that concerned, disable OnStar and don't use their services.
Old 05-13-2019, 11:26 AM   #3
hotlap

Drives: 20 1LE 2SS M6 Rally Green
Your onstar subscription provides a monthly report with oil life, tires pressure, mileage, etc.

I got onstar free for the first year with my 16. My 18 only came with one month free so I never bothered to sign up. I got the report with the 16 but haven't with the 18.

"the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.”
Ronald Reagan -
hotlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 11:27 AM   #4
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Drives: 2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiBlueCamaro View Post
I don't have privacy anymore.. My Camaro is not build by Tesla, but me thinks that Chevy spies more than Elon Musk. Here is the proof:
It's a function of the OnStar system in your car. It delivers email to you monthly on the condition of various systems in your car. What the note you have is a mechanized auto-response saying that one of the systems in your car is out of the ordinary. You can eliminate these notifications by simply opting out of OnStar.
A8 | MRC | NPP | Nav | HUD | GM Performance CAI | Tony Mamo LT1 V2 Ported TB | Kooks 1-7/8” LT Headers | FlexFuel Tune | Thinkware Q800 Pro front and rear dash cam | Charcoal Tint for Taillights and 3rd Brakelight | Orange and Carbon Fiber Bowties | 1LE Wheels in Gunmetal Gray | Carbon Fiber Interior Overlays | Novistretch bra and mirror covers | Tow hitch for bicycle rack |

Martinjlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 11:34 AM   #5
cellsafemode

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1LT
under the dash below the glove compartment lives the onstar/wifi BCM. You take that guy out and open it up and you'll find the antenna circuit board that the antennas plug into. You then unscrew that and disconnect it from the mainboard and screw the case back together and re-install so no codes are thrown.

There's physically no modulator so no way for onstar to phone home (even when you cancel service it still gives and provides access to onstar to do whatever they want) and no way for onstar to gain access to your car remotely (or anyone hacking onstar's system which has happened in the past)

This is a better option than just pulling the fuse since this module also contains the microphone input for any voice commands so you need it powered and connected or you lose microphone support.

edit: you will lose gps and onstar (not sure if sat radio piggy backs these antennas too as I've never used it). I use android auto and my phone is more than capable of providing gps and internet connectivity wherever i go and the car plays nicely with that just fine. Without the risk or threat of anyone taking control of the drivetrain or physical components of the car remotely.
cellsafemode is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 11:35 AM   #6
John_S

Drives: 2019 Camaro SS
Not to be that guy but Big Brother has been phone tapping the American Citizens from around the 70s-80s, possibly before that. (NSA)

Also I found it weird I would get monthly reports too. They are definitely tracking our driving style and where we go also. GM is government motors.
John_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 11:46 AM   #7
ssrs2lt

Drives: too many
Yeah they know everything
Old 05-13-2019, 12:04 PM   #8
ZED SLED

Drives: 2017 Mosaic Bk ZL1 M6
I got that same email Sunday at 4:36 PM, 28 hours after I fixed the flat. Thanks for the head up, Onstar

ZED SLED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 12:15 PM   #9
MiamiBlueCamaro

Drives: Gen 6 Camaro RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by cellsafemode View Post
under the dash below the glove compartment lives the onstar/wifi BCM. You take that guy out and open it up and you'll find the antenna circuit board that the antennas plug into. You then unscrew that and disconnect it from the mainboard and screw the case back together and re-install so no codes are thrown.

There's physically no modulator so no way for onstar to phone home (even when you cancel service it still gives and provides access to onstar to do whatever they want) and no way for onstar to gain access to your car remotely (or anyone hacking onstar's system which has happened in the past)

This is a better option than just pulling the fuse since this module also contains the microphone input for any voice commands so you need it powered and connected or you lose microphone support.

edit: you will lose gps and onstar (not sure if sat radio piggy backs these antennas too as I've never used it). I use android auto and my phone is more than capable of providing gps and internet connectivity wherever i go and the car plays nicely with that just fine. Without the risk or threat of anyone taking control of the drivetrain or physical components of the car remotely.
Good info!
MiamiBlueCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 12:19 PM   #10
ScatPack
Banned

Drives: None at the moment
Big brother is watching your tire pressures. Oh shit. What if he can tell when you dont replace your tires with OEM ones? Will he disable your steering?
ScatPack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 12:25 PM   #11
SSJ455

Drives: "Kara Zor-El" 2017 2SS HBM
Either cancel OnStar or cover your car with tinfoil so the Man can't track you.
Dangerzoooooone.

SSJ455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 12:28 PM   #12
mcintyre1969

Drives: 1968 SS/RS, 2006 H2 2016 2SS White
Yep, a foil wrap is the way to go
Old 05-13-2019, 12:32 PM   #13
cellsafemode

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScatPack View Post
Big brother is watching your tire pressures. Oh shit. What if he can tell when you dont replace your tires with OEM ones? Will he disable your steering?
More like, what if onstar, like most companies, considers security in the same vein as quality control (a cost that should be minimized as much as possible) gets targetted by some bored teenagers or a nation-backed hacking group and decides to run-amok on everyone's connected cars or for some reason, yours specifically because you made them look back on their livestream of some Xbox game. Or even more likely, someone just socially engineers an on-star rep to do any number of valid onstar requests that ends up with your car either disabled or stolen.

They have been hacked before and kept it quiet for years before it became widely known that their system had a glaring weakness. Some people just consider the entire system an unnecessary risk. My phone does everything I need it to do that onstar does and if it gets hacked i dont have to worry about the engine cutting out, or my doors being unlocked remotely so someone can get in or my ecu getting bricked remotely for the lulz. I also dont care to feed the machine all the data collected by onstar, I already get tracked enough by google. One corporate overlord is enough.

I made a little post back in 2016 on removing the antenna board for anyone looking to disable the unwanted feature.

https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=467634
cellsafemode is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 01:58 PM   #14
dpevans

Drives: 2024 Riverside Blue 2SS 1LE
Just wait till the insurance companies start texting you to tell you quit breaking the speed limit or your policy will be cancelled. It's coming people.
dpevans is offline   Reply With Quote