Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 LT1 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

AWE Tuning

Old 09-20-2020, 02:19 PM   #1
bobbb

Drives: '18 SS M6
Why Katech AFM delete for M6?

Hi, would like to get some opinions/advice plz
Is there any reason to do an AFM delete valley cover for an M6?

They story is - bought a M6 SS on an auction with rear damage, no damage to the engine.
By the looks of it the previous owner had a whipple supercharger which was removed before it went on auction (stickers on the car and various bolts loose).
The car stalled on idle and did not run at all. So I reflashed the ECM to stock, drained ethanol from the tank and filled with petrol. Now it accelerates ok, but idle is very uneven, sometimes stalls.
I see it has Katech AFM delete valley cover, not sure if any other mods inside.

But why do an AFM delete on a M6? And if the lifters were changed, but now it has stock ECM flash - would that affect idle or should I look for problems elsewhere?

And sometimes I get P0011 - intake camshaft position performance. But not all the time.
If cam was changed would it affect idle with stock flash?
Acceleration is ok, just idle is the problem.

Thanks.
bobbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2020, 02:45 PM   #2
squish72

Drives: 2016 2SS 8AT
Idle would for sure be affected if it has a cam and stock tune file. If they did the afm delete I would guess the did a cam as well. It's not guaranteed but while youre in there doing the delete it would be worth going the extra step. I would recommend getting something to log the car and see what the engine is doing
squish72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2020, 03:19 PM   #3
bobbb

Hmm... OK, I think it would be easier to get it back to stock than get a tune in the place that I am at now.

So if I was to put in a stock cam, what about the lifters, I understand its necessary to put in non-AFM lifters with Katech cover (are M6 lifters AFM or non-AFM)?
And is the cam different for AFM/non-AFM?

And why do the delete for the M6 at all?
Old 09-20-2020, 03:20 PM   #4
Joshinator99

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbb View Post
Hi, would like to get some opinions/advice plz
Is there any reason to do an AFM delete valley cover for an M6?

They story is - bought a M6 SS on an auction with rear damage, no damage to the engine.
By the looks of it the previous owner had a whipple supercharger which was removed before it went on auction (stickers on the car and various bolts loose).
The car stalled on idle and did not run at all. So I reflashed the ECM to stock, drained ethanol from the tank and filled with petrol. Now it accelerates ok, but idle is very uneven, sometimes stalls.
I see it has Katech AFM delete valley cover, not sure if any other mods inside.

But why do an AFM delete on a M6? And if the lifters were changed, but now it has stock ECM flash - would that affect idle or should I look for problems elsewhere?

And sometimes I get P0011 - intake camshaft position performance. But not all the time.
If cam was changed would it affect idle with stock flash?
Acceleration is ok, just idle is the problem.

Thanks.
If he did an aftermarket cam it was likely one that limited (or eliminated) variable cam timing. Flashing it back to stock will conflict with that aftermarket cam if VVT is eliminated. Stock tune generally doesn’t work with an aftermarket cam either, especially idle speed.

M6 cars are non-AFM but believe they still had the AFM lifters. You normally ditch those with a performance cam.
Old 09-20-2020, 03:44 PM   #5
bobbb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshinator99 View Post
If he did an aftermarket cam it was likely one that limited (or eliminated) variable cam timing. Flashing it back to stock will conflict with that aftermarket cam if VVT is eliminated. Stock tune generally doesn’t work with an aftermarket cam either, especially idle speed.

M6 cars are non-AFM but believe they still had the AFM lifters. You normally ditch those with a performance cam.
So let's say it has some other cam and lifters and I put back a stock cam, would it work with whatever lifters are there or should I also get a set of OEM lifters as well?
Old 09-20-2020, 04:30 PM   #6
Joshinator99

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
So let's say it has some other cam and lifters and I put back a stock cam, would it work with whatever lifters are there or should I also get a set of OEM lifters as well?
Stock cam should work with whatever lifters are in there (Edit: nope lol), but you might need to double check that the pushrods are the right length. Probably easier to just buy stock everything (cam, lifters, pushrods, valley cover, etc) from someone who upgraded assuming you are not modding the car.

Last edited by Joshinator99; 09-20-2020 at 07:41 PM.
Joshinator99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2020, 05:50 PM   #7
Mark114

Drives: 2016 2SS Convertible
Quote:
Hmm... OK, I think it would be easier to get it back to stock than get a tune in the place that I am at now.
You might consider a remote tune. There are a number of people that have very good reputations like Jannetty Racing and Pray Performance.
Mark114 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2020, 06:36 PM   #8
KingLT1

Drives: 2016 1SS NFG A8
Quote:
If you put a stock cam back in then you have to source 8 afm lifters. The stock cam has 8 lobes that are specific for the afm lifters and will not work with standard hydraulic lifters.
Per. times- 10.5 @ 137 w/ 1.8 60ft Full weight on 20's 1200DA
KingLT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2020, 07:15 PM   #9
L78toLT1

Drives: Hyper Blue 2016 2SS 6M
I've got a stock cam, lifters, trays & pushrods if you decide to return to stock. Removed them from my car at 16k miles.
2016 Hyper Blue 2SS/6m/MRC/NPP/Silver Rally stripes/ZL1 wheels & brakes/GForce DS and axles/ZLE Cradle Bushings/FE4 ARB front & rear/SEMA Grill/Rotofab dry/95mm TB/Magnuson 2300/Full LT4 fuel system/JMS boost-a-pump/E85 Sensor/Ported CID heads from LME/Cammotion PD cam/Thompson Motorsports forged shortblock/catted Kooks 1 7/8 headers /JRE remote tuned
L78toLT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 01:15 AM   #10
bobbb

Thanks for the input guys, that helps.
Will try to find some local tuners if possible. Else... will probably swap out for stock parts and see how it goes on from there.
I've found the cover, cam, lifters (8?) and pushrods locally.

Any ideas if THIS is what i might need for an M6 ?
Old 09-21-2020, 08:29 AM   #11
KingLT1

You need 8 standard hydraulic and 8 AFM lifters to be compatible with a stock LT1 cam shaft. AFM lifters have a big spring on the end of them. Click on the link for example of the lifters used in most GM small blocks that have AFM.

https://www.michiganmotorsports.com/...gaAp0HEALw_wcB
Old 09-21-2020, 10:47 AM   #12
Tim M

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingLT1 View Post
You need 8 standard hydraulic and 8 AFM lifters to be compatible with a stock LT1 cam shaft. AFM lifters have a big spring on the end of them. Click on the link for example of the lifters used in most GM small blocks that have AFM.
How are the LT1 lobes different between AFM and non-AFM?

If you tune out the AFM and install the eliminator, are you not able to run the same non-AFM lifter on all 16 lobes?
Old 09-21-2020, 12:41 PM   #13
KingLT1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim M View Post

If you tune out the AFM and install the eliminator, are you not able to run the same non-AFM lifter on all 16 lobes?
The information is out there just search it. You can not delete AFM mechanically without swapping the cam to a non AFM cam. It has been this way since the GEN 4 LS days. Here is one link with some info. https://lt1swap.com/afm_delete.htm

What you "might" be able to do is purchase a LT5 OEM camshaft from scoggin dickey since it is NON AFM and run that in a LT1 with 16 standard hydraulic lifters. The LT5 cam is similar in specs to the LT1 cam minus the AFM.

https://sdparts.com/i-24136024-genui...MaAoZ3EALw_wcB
Old 09-21-2020, 02:46 PM   #14
L78toLT1

Drives: Hyper Blue 2016 2SS 6M
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim M View Post

I doubt it. The M6 cars have the AFM disabled, but they still have the AFM lifters & springs
2016 Hyper Blue 2SS/6m/MRC/NPP/Silver Rally stripes/ZL1 wheels & brakes/GForce DS and axles/ZLE Cradle Bushings/FE4 ARB front & rear/SEMA Grill/Rotofab dry/95mm TB/Magnuson 2300/Full LT4 fuel system/JMS boost-a-pump/E85 Sensor/Ported CID heads from LME/Cammotion PD cam/Thompson Motorsports forged shortblock/catted Kooks 1 7/8 headers /JRE remote tuned
L78toLT1 is offline   Reply With Quote