#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 08-18-2020, 12:32 PM   #1
cbourbs

Drives: 2019 ZL1 1LE
ZLE pads and rotor longevity

Guys,

Was just wondering how many track days do you guys get out of a set of stock rotors and pads.

The course I go to only has 1 straight of 120mph and 2 at 100mph with 15 turns total. Fairly short and low speed track.

Trying to get a feel of how expensive this endeavor will be.

From what I can tell most people get 5 track days out of the supercar 3r tires. So I'm guessing I will go through a set once a year. Have ps4s tires for the street.

Had my first track day a couple weeks ago and loved it.
cbourbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2020, 06:42 PM   #2
NorthGeorgia

Drives: 2018 ZLE, 2023 C8, IMSA MX-5
Track and pace dependant. Road Atlanta Sub 1.40 upper intermediate pace expect 6-7 days on front pads, 14 on rear pads, 13-15 on front rotors and 20+ rear rotors.

We are seeing the front inboard pads wear faster and not easy to inspect. If the outboard pad looks marginal (3 mm), the inboard is likely has less than 2 mm. Have made the mistake of thinking I had one more session.

Also not afraid to run my MP4S in a pinch. I run them in the cold months and capable of surprising pace if you manage the heat.
NorthGeorgia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2020, 06:55 PM   #3
NorthGeorgia

Last I looked about $400-500 per track day for consumables plus 150 for insurance.
Call it $600 per day,, 125 per session or $250 per hour... We!come to one of the funniest money pits on the planet. Kind of like airplanes.....
Old 08-19-2020, 07:36 PM   #4
m3bs

Drives: '19 ZLE, S54 E36M3
Pads are pretty thin when new at 0.375". I ran one day at Roebling, and two at Road Atlanta, and the front pads were down to 0.285. I replaced them before going to VIR to be safe. Probably conservative, but they worked well, and my rotors look like new after five days.

I'd say closer to $1000 per day with insurance (if we dare to discuss it). If you do your own oil changes, transmission fluid, differential fluid, brake service, and wheel alignment. Plus entry fees, lodging, transportation, and driver focused consumables (beer).
m3bs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2020, 07:48 PM   #5
cbourbs

Good information fellas...That is somewhat what I expected. I'm guessing I'll get in about 5 days a year. Luckily the track is only a 10 minute drive and the next closest one is 2 hrs away.
I don't buy insurance because in Alberta we are covered by your regular car insurance as long as you aren't time or have a trophied race. I got 1 freeby if I get in an accident. Not rulling out track insurance though....$400 per race.

So basically a set of pads per year, oil change every second track day, $300 fee per race, and 1.5 tanks of gas per race, yearly brake fluid change and i'm guessing my 3r tires will last about 4 track days. My guess was about 5k per season. We only have about 5 months of racing here. Plus transmission and diff changes. How often you guys changing transmission and diff fluid???

I haven't done any alignments as of yet, but I probably could do my own with -1 camber...from what i'm told

All $ in CAD

Last edited by cbourbs; 08-19-2020 at 08:16 PM.
Old 08-19-2020, 08:41 PM   #6
NorthGeorgia

Yes. Can't forget beer and gas so call it 1k. Think dif and tran at 15-20 hour mark. Need to look at logbook.

@m3bs are you running this weekend at Road Atlanta with JTI?

Last edited by NorthGeorgia; 08-19-2020 at 08:44 PM. Reason: .
Old 08-19-2020, 10:03 PM   #7
m3bs

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthGeorgia View Post
@m3bs are you running this weekend at Road Atlanta with JTI?
Can’t make that one. One event per month is about my limit.
Old 08-21-2020, 07:29 AM   #8
TrackClub

Drives: 2020 SS 1LE (previous: 2017 SS 1LE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbourbs View Post
Guys,

Was just wondering how many track days do you guys get out of a set of stock rotors and pads.

The course I go to only has 1 straight of 120mph and 2 at 100mph with 15 turns total. Fairly short and low speed track.

Trying to get a feel of how expensive this endeavor will be.

From what I can tell most people get 5 track days out of the supercar 3r tires. So I'm guessing I will go through a set once a year. Have ps4s tires for the street.

Had my first track day a couple weeks ago and loved it.
Howdy, my suggestions for ya:

G3R last about 2-3 days (fronts) but this may be dependent on your pace, track layout and alignment

Rotors should last 12-15 days easily. Pads about 5-6 days. Get a good brake fluid like SRF (best), Willwood EXP, Motul 660 etc. New each season and then bleed it every 4-5 days max (this will be fluid dependent and you may have to flush it instead depending on its quality).

The manual (do read it!) calls for tranny fluid change every 15 hrs and diff every 24 hrs. So lets call it every 7 and 12 days. BUT, i swap them every 5-6 days, together with oil and pads. The diff fluid comes out looking like tar with tons of metal shavings on magnetic plugs. Why GM recommends such a long interval i am unsure...

Break in procedure: read the manual! The car needs 2400km to break in the diff. At this stage many flush the fluid and then again flush is after a first track day (per the manual). I also flush oil after first 500km then at 50% life left which is about 5-6 track days. Never beyond it.

Alignment: the manual calls for 2.7 and 2.0 for a ZLE for track duty. You'll have to go way beyond 1 lest you will wear out outside shoulder very quickly. Dont be afraid to set it at 2.5F 2.0R or something close to it even for moderate street driving. Especially if you use harder tires for regular driving. 0F toe will preserve them longer. You'll need some R toe in for stability. Check the high performance supplement for specs incl cold and hot tire pressures.

After each session, ensure you check the car: pads, rotors, wheels, leaks, tires, etc. Cool it down before you park it (drive it around an access road, or even paddock until the oil temps drop down. This will also cool down the brakes. Then park it and open up the hood for faster cooling.

Do NOT put e brake on as this may warp rear rotors.

Check my sticky post on PTM modes to understand how they work.

Budgeting about a grand per day all in is about right, track fees and other costs dependent. Fyi Rockauto has great prices on brake consumables. About 50% discount over dealers.

I presume your home track is Castrol? What is the "other" track 2 hrs away?! Has another track opened up?!

Cheers and enjoy the hobby!
TrackClub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2020, 03:48 PM   #9
cbourbs

Fantastic information....I really really do appreciate it. I will follow the schedule that you have laid out. Can't thank you enough.

I am racing at Castrol, however the course being built in about 30 minutes north of Calgary in Carstairs. They are building it as we speak. It's called rocky mountain motorsports park.

Do you use these pads?: https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo...42992&jsn=1004

To make sure I understand....you change the engine oil every 5-6 track days?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrackClub View Post
Howdy, my suggestions for ya:

G3R last about 2-3 days (fronts) but this may be dependent on your pace, track layout and alignment

Rotors should last 12-15 days easily. Pads about 5-6 days. Get a good brake fluid like SRF (best), Willwood EXP, Motul 660 etc. New each season and then bleed it every 4-5 days max (this will be fluid dependent and you may have to flush it instead depending on its quality).

The manual (do read it!) calls for tranny fluid change every 15 hrs and diff every 24 hrs. So lets call it every 7 and 12 days. BUT, i swap them every 5-6 days, together with oil and pads. The diff fluid comes out looking like tar with tons of metal shavings on magnetic plugs. Why GM recommends such a long interval i am unsure...

Break in procedure: read the manual! The car needs 2400km to break in the diff. At this stage many flush the fluid and then again flush is after a first track day (per the manual). I also flush oil after first 500km then at 50% life left which is about 5-6 track days. Never beyond it.

Alignment: the manual calls for 2.7 and 2.0 for a ZLE for track duty. You'll have to go way beyond 1 lest you will wear out outside shoulder very quickly. Dont be afraid to set it at 2.5F 2.0R or something close to it even for moderate street driving. Especially if you use harder tires for regular driving. 0F toe will preserve them longer. You'll need some R toe in for stability. Check the high performance supplement for specs incl cold and hot tire pressures.

After each session, ensure you check the car: pads, rotors, wheels, leaks, tires, etc. Cool it down before you park it (drive it around an access road, or even paddock until the oil temps drop down. This will also cool down the brakes. Then park it and open up the hood for faster cooling.

Do NOT put e brake on as this may warp rear rotors.

Check my sticky post on PTM modes to understand how they work.

Budgeting about a grand per day all in is about right, track fees and other costs dependent. Fyi Rockauto has great prices on brake consumables. About 50% discount over dealers.

I presume your home track is Castrol? What is the "other" track 2 hrs away?! Has another track opened up?!

Cheers and enjoy the hobby!

Last edited by cbourbs; 08-22-2020 at 04:24 PM.
Old 08-22-2020, 04:53 PM   #10
Rams01

Drives: 2018 ZL1, 2001 Z28 1LE
bump this is good information. When would one go with track pads?
Rams01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2020, 05:18 PM   #11
TrackClub

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbourbs View Post
Fantastic information....I really really do appreciate it. I will follow the schedule that you have laid out. Can't thank you enough.

I am racing at Castrol, however the course being built in about 30 minutes north of Calgary in Carstairs. They are building it as we speak. It's called rocky mountain motorsports park.

Do you use these pads?: https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo...42992&jsn=1004

To make sure I understand....you change the engine oil every 5-6 track days?
Aha, i am aware of the Rocky View, but will consider it serious once they lay the asphalt

I use stock Ferodo pads. You can search them on Rockauto by part number, which is in the owners manual. Many use more aggressive pads, but i like the stockers as they throw little heat (in comparison to higher torque pads) and hence are gentle on calipers, hubs, etc. I have no issues engaging ABS in my car, so...

Yes, all fluids and pads every 5-6 days, wear dependent.
This may depend on how much you drive your car as DD.
FYI, i NEVER let oil get below 50% life per the computer.

Hope this answers your questions. If anything is unclear, or you have more, post here, or PM me. Cheers!
Old 08-22-2020, 05:26 PM   #12
m3bs

My oil life indicator timed out at about 600 miles, halfway through my 5th track day. All on 90+ degree days, so oil temps were getting up there.
Old 08-22-2020, 07:30 PM   #13
SCCAForums

Drives: Chevrolet Camaro, Ford Mustang
I'd recommend G-Loc R8 pads, good brake fluid and stainless lines.

Enjoy!
Old 08-23-2020, 07:21 AM   #14
TrackClub

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3bs View Post
My oil life indicator timed out at about 600 miles, halfway through my 5th track day. All on 90+ degree days, so oil temps were getting up there.
Wow! You went from 100% to 0 oil life in 4.5 track days?

To clarify, i calc an average "track day" as 4x30min sessions.

If i run 7x30mins each day on a weekend, that would be 3.5 "track days" in total (for calc purposes).